Starlitskies

Sri Lanka

She/Her
17
INTJ
Reader and Writer
Feminist
Coder

Go check out my WtW twin sister Zirong! She's amazing!

Scribble Chums with remi'sgotinkstains, useless :) and em wilder.

est. 26 Oct 2020

A little poem because I feel guilty about not publishing anything for so long, but more importantly, because I wanted to say: thank you thank you thank you for 75 followers! Love y'all so so so much! <3<3<3

five-stringed guitar

Write a poem mentioning three cities or countries (Fabiana250)

i. rome. i met you here. 
copper curls and dark eyes. you made
me forget how syllables forged
into words and words were meant to be said. 
those mythical skies cast the perfect spell
for our stars to collide. they bedazzled
the earth as we fell.

ii. paris. i loved you here.
the sun smiled when we held hands
and the light shattered 
into fireworks when your lips met mine.
i remember a memory of coffee,
croissants, and you switching chords
on a five-stringed guitar.

iii. london. i left you here.
i lie, my love; i could never do that,
but it's harder to say 
you left me. a tear-stained image
of copper curls and dark eyes 
carried away in a london bus. 
that night, the stars,
they cried for us.
there's something beautiful about lowercase poetry that i can't really touch.

1

• Ava Marie

This is so beautiful, I love it in a way words can't describe

• aaliyahh

omg this piece is so amazing, the story to it this and the words you use are beautiful!!
    re: thank you so much!!! <3

• remi'sgotinkstains

"that night, the stars, they cried for us" !!!!!! aaaahhhh
    I love lowercase poetry a lot too . . . and this strikes my heart in an odd way. striking, I'll say then. all the love from Remi! ;)

• nolongeractive

I think that this might be one of the best pieces I have seen on this platform. It is so deep and meaningful in unexplainable ways, as it captivated with its descriptions of ordinary feelings that often aren't brought up in today's world. This is so lovely! Such relatable and special words. If you would like to review one of my songs, I would love more reviews on mine called 'butterfly sadness,' 'gatekeeper,' and 'motif.' Much love! Also, if you want editing or songwriting help [OR WANT TO COLLABORATE ON A SONG], please don't hesitate to reach out.

• Zirong

re: Ooooh so happy to hear from you too! Yea lockdown is really crazy so let's take good care of ourselves <333

And no need to thank me for saying the truth haha! <3 Your words just melt my heart. I feel so so blessed to have you as my twin sis awww. I really miss you a LOT when you're not online! *a million hugs*

To summarise, studying abroad is something you'll be so excited about at first but then really hate at some point in time due to homesickness, after which you'll get used to the new lifestyle, and when you eventually return home, you'll miss it no matter how sweet home is :) I guess what the experience is like also depends on different individuals but that's basically what I feel(though not home yet) :D Yea there's indeed a lot of freedom and the chance to be independent but it's very easy to be mentally lost because many people who are really important to me are just not here to guide me. I think striking a balance is really important -- that's exactly what I've been working on haha!
    Ooooh I really love all the INTJ things XD! They just make us closer and closer to success :) And I'm so glad to know that you long to go to a US university one day because I feel the same! (undoubtedly a twin thing ^u^) Do you have a favourite uni in mind? Perhaps we'll meet each other there haha if I get accepted into one. Don't worry about studying abroad! It's normal to be besieged with negative feelings at certain point in time when you live far away from home(I've experienced that), but it's the rain before the rainbow of independence and mental strength! And as you get used to a new lifestyle you'll surely find many enjoyable things in the new place! Also, remember that whenever you feel bad I'll always be there for you and accompany you through it!!! <3 <3 <3 Local universities are also in my consideration :) But I really love and will apply for US and UK universities too!
    Take care and have an amazing day ahead <3

• Parisienne

Re: hey starlitskies (love your username). Thank you for your comment on ‘miracle’, I am glad you liked it.
    Oooh Sri Lanka does sound amazing “Pearl of the Indian Ocean” is such a gorgeous nickname wow it must be beautiful. I have tried Sri Lankan tea and I agree it was delicious. I am sorry to hear about the amount of misogyny in your country, I can imagine how hard that is. I mean at least you don’t have the societal pressure of trying to find a boyfriend haha!! I still really want to visit your country though it seems amazing to me :). Ooh you live in Columbo!!! Wow that’s so cool!!! I’ve seen the most amazing pictures of Sri Lankan elephants, have you ever seen them in real life??
    I live in England, right in the south in farm country. We have gorgeous countryside here, rolling hills and livestock and the seaside is also gorgeous. If you want to know more about the UK just let me know because I have visited a lot of it (there’s just not much to say about exactly where I live haha)
    Hope you’re having a good day :D

• barelybear

re: OMG THE BEAR! I love every species snjssms nature made us floofy teddy bears probably not the best for hugging but still adorable. But wow your name and pfp are stunninggg. It’s so satisfying to see you on the feed lmao.

Ah nuuu I haven’t tried strawberry tea. I have no idea where to get it from :c
    Hmm teapigs is a British company, and from what I’ve seen, they can deliver to the US, Britain, Europe and Hong Kong. If you visit one day, I would recommend it haha.
    Definitely when deciding on whether you like tea, the smell should be considered lmao. If the smell is bad, you don’t want to drink the tea. But when the smell is gorgeous, it barely matters what flavour the tea is. And strawberries have a pretty delicious smell and taste :D
    Have a great day! :)

• McK13

re: thank you so much! I'm so glad that you could relate to it :)

• Yellow Sweater

Re: first off, I want to say thank you for answering my questions and sorry for the onslaught. It's really fascinating getting to learn about other countries. It's cool that WTW can serve as a tool for cultural exchange. If you have any questions about America (the west coast in particular:) You are welcome to ask me!

As for the last line in "Two Dimensional Oscillations" My essay was chosen as a finalist in the NYT personal narrative contest which means they published my name, but not the actual essay, so it was a reference to that, the superficial excitement.

Thank you so much for all your sweet comments! They made my day:)

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Re: Thank you, that means a lot. I appreciate the kind words and thank you, I really need them right now.

• beth r.

ughhhhh this is so pretttyyy. love the title
    re: lol ew biologyyyy i hate it
    thanks for the comment <3

oooooh dang this made me breathless with wonder

Re: Eeee! Thank you!! ^u^

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

re: thanks, i actually made my pfp on canva

• barelybear

Re: ahhh thank you!! You are way too nice about my recording — gotta be honest my ears basically died when I listened to it
    (I’m still not gonna stop singing though ;D)
    It means so much to me that an incredible writer like yourself liked my song :))) so thank youuuu <3

Oh and my favourite tea is Teapig’s Super Berry lmao. I like the fruity teas best, but a classic English Breakfast/Earl Grey can never really go wrong. (Peach iced tea but it can’t be the American iced tea because I was pretty disappointed when I tried some out there oop.)
    I’ve tried doing loose leaf teas a bit, but it’s mostly hassle because we only have one infuser and it’s always grubby ahah. So loose leaf is for special occasions.

Tea

• useless :)

re: thank youu!! yeah, for sure! :D
    i'm so glad you like my writing, i'm also proud to be ur scribble chum, you're such an amazing writer and all of your messages are so kind<3 <3
    second re: thank you SO much for the review!! all of your advice was incredible, especially helping me realize where i needed to switch from passive to active voice. really tho, it was so helpful and i will definitely be making a revised version soon. it means a lot to me that you took the time out to write this and help my writing improve so again thank you!! :)

• Zirong

This. is. so. so. so. beautiful. I love these three cities so much!

re: So sorry that this is really late :( I should've replied earlier but I wanted to reply to all other comments first and leave yours to the last so that I could reply with a super clear and peaceful mind, and I just have SO MANY things to say to my twin sis awwww! Thank you so much for checking out ALL my translations OMG. And your comments really made my whole week <3

I'm really happy that you won't feel so stressed now since the exams are cancelled :) but at the same time do remember to TAKE CARE! *hug hug* How much I hope the situation can be much much better now in Sri Lanka! *sigh* actually it is not so rosy in Singapore as well -- though currently we are in phase three(the most relaxing phase), the government has released warnings of returning to phase two, or even phase one(basically lockdown) in the near future. Yea I can understand your feeling -- I still remember how much I missed school(which is unusual) last year during lockdown! Do stay safe too, my sis <333

AND I can't wait to know MUCH MUCH MORE about you too awww!!! And I do hope you can stick around so that we can chat more and I can read more of your beautiful pieces!!!

Let me keep this 100% honest: you are one of the most caring, modest, and talented people I've ever known. Though we've only communicated through words, I can tell that from your pieces and footnotes and messages to readers :D I always believe that words do reflect what the author is like. All these just make me love you even more <3 <3 <3 We should definitely keep in touch, and I'm more than happy to exchange emails with you!!! Love you to the sun and back XD! Stay safe and wish you a fulfilling year ahead :3 <3

• barelybear

Amkskskala you don’t know how much that comment brightened my day!
    I’ve never tried Sri Lankan tea :c so I will have to put that on the bucket list. With that being the case, I can’t really judge it as a right/wrong answer, but you say you love it, which is definitely a good thing :D
    YES YES YES let’s be friends :)))
    You are super sweet and really talented! I love this storyline - it is gorgeously heartbreaking. I want to eat it. I bet it would taste all creamy, with bitter chocolate. (I swear I’m not usually this weird. I just haven’t had breakfast yet)

• remi'sgotinkstains

"for our stars to collide"
    for some reason I just really love the word 'collide' and stars (because if you really look at them, there's no help falling in love with them!) and its just such a beautiful line that i really, really love. a stunning work as always! ;)
    thank you for your really kind and wonderful comment. all the love from Remi here. ;)

• Dragonfly

This is beautifully written! your descriptions are so vivid that they let everything come to life and the story you somehow wove into it is so fitting!
    And congratulations on 75 followers! there are definitely more to come and admire you work, it's so amazing!
    Re: Thank you! I'm glad I could take your worry, the recording really was great! <3

• Parisienne

This is so stunning! Wow I love how you literally brought these cities to life (especially Paris of course ;). I would love to get to know you more too...your username is sooooo pretty. If you would be prepared to tell me anything about Sri Lanka that would make me so happy - I long to visit one day. I hope you're having a good day/night :)

• Yellow Sweater

Re: sorry, one more question: Do you write any poetry in Sinhala? If so, which language do you prefer to write in?

• Yellow Sweater

Re: He is one of the most widely translated Spanish poets. If you are looking for a good English translation, I suggest W.S Merwin's translations. Spanish is the most widely learned second language here in the states, but I am actually taking French. The US has a crap language program though. Most people here are monolingual. I have actually heard of Sinhala! (I am kind of a language geek:) I have a random question, well two actually. Lanka means island in Sanskrit right? Is Sinhala more closely related to Sanskrit than other indo languages? what does the prefix Sri mean? Haha, sorry, as I said, total geek.

Here is a link to his page on the Poetry Foundation: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poets/federico-garcia-lorca

• Yellow Sweater

Re: haha, no apology necessary, receiving comments always brings me a smile. Thank you so much! As for advice, you know how much I adore your pieces so I don't know what advice I could give you. But my writing philosophy for the past year or so has been to not shy away from contradiction. I think oxymoron and juxtaposition are some of the most poignant literary tools. Also, have you read Lorca? I highly suggest getting inspired from his "duende"

Ps: I LOVE this poem. The image of a five stringed guitar is so haunting, enchanting, poignant!

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Re: ikr? I mean, being tall isn't easy either, but being short you can't reach anything, etc, etc. Like, when I go to my bookstore I read older than my age (like a lot older) and I can't reach the shelves and it's super embarrassing when I have to ask :(

• McK13

Such a beautiful, heartfelt poem! I love how the structure and simplicity makes it so much more impactful. The imagery and repetition is wonderfully done and I am so glad that I came across this incredible poem :)

this is so gorgeous. i love location based poetry

• useless :)

oh and wow 75 followers!! i'm glad that i'm one of them...i absolutely love your writing. congrats, scribble chum! ;)

• useless :)

wow. this is breathtaking. you've left me speechless...i can't find the right way to complement the piece. if i tried to quote the parts i like i'd seriously be quoting the whole poem...but the way you transitioned through their relationship and the imagery and everything is so gorgeous. this-
    "i lie, my love; i could never do that,
    but it's harder to say
    you left me." is just heart-wrenching and beautifully simplistic. amazing job :)