Yellow Sweater

(Formerly Zinniav)

I'm 17, interested in linguistics, mathematics, philosophy, theology, and history.

She/ Her | Bi | Disabled | Agnostic | Useless Intellectual | WA

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions.

I will probably rewrite this poem, so I would love to hear your thoughts. I really like that first line, but I have no idea what to do with it!

Semiotics/ Semantics

13
We, big-brained humans distill the sensual into semiotics. 
But cracked open, cracked up, stopped at the stop-sign, 
I’m made aware of the prickly hairs growing out of my skin,
of the virulent grass pushing through the cement.

It's semantics really; are we alive or dead? 

• Starlitskies

Re: Thank you for the link! I'll be sure to check it out.
    French sounds lovely; I've always wanted to learn a third language. I tried to learn Chinese/Mandarin a while back with Duolingo, but it got super hard and I abandoned it, haha. Now I'm thinking I want to learn Latin. I know it's a dead language, but I feel it would help me a lot with my writing and learning etymology.
    It's awesome that you've heard of Sinhala! :) And answering your questions: Yes, Lanka does mean island in Sanskrit. The second question is a no; Hindi and some other languages in India are more closely related to Sanskrit than Sinhala, but the descent is definitely direct. You can find a lot of Sanskrit words in the Sri Lankan epics and Buddhism (the largest religion over here) is written in Sanskrit too. So with our religion we do learn a bit of Sanskrit.
    For the third question: Google says "Sri" means resplendent. I'd agree to a certain extent, but it's more of a honorific; it's there to denote prosperity and wealth. Actually, the country was called Lanka up until 1972 when the honorific was added.
    And yes, I do write poetry in Sinhala. :D But my preference is writing in English. I feel that I can express myself better with English. Tbh, compared to most other people in my country, I’ve had a quite westernised upbringing, so generally, I associate myself more with English. My mother’s parents are both published authors and my mother also used to write poetry when she was young. (She stopped when she got into med school. I worry that might happen to me too. :( ) They all wrote in Sinhala, but when it came to me, I received the gift but the language flipped haha! XD Sometimes people ask me why I don’t write in my mother tongue. But that’s just who I am. I constantly have to remind myself that I’m not writing for them, I’m writing for myself.
    I hope that answers your questions. :)

• WishfulKittyKat1

Oh my gosh, I love the wordplay in this. All of your pieces have such precise language but this one in particular really highlights this. This is the kind of poem I could read forever, seriously.
    Good job!

• Starlitskies

Re: Awww thank you so much! And that is such good advice! I'll definitely keep that in mind, when I write.
    Forgive my unfamiliarity, but I have no idea about Lorca. I just googled and saw that he's Spanish. Hopefully, it isn't written in Spanish cos haha I don't know the language. I guess you learn it as a second language in the US right? Over here in Sri Lanka, English is our second language; my mother tongue is Sinhala. (I wonder if you've heard of it.) And in the case that it is written in English, did you read it online? If so could you please send me a link of where I can find it? Thank you! <3

• Starlitskies

Gorgeous as always! <3
    You know I've been meaning to binge read all your pieces. Yes, they're that stunning! I've been really busy up until now, so yeah, I might start to do exactly that soon. I'm gonna apologise in advance about spamming your notifications, haha! :)

• BriRiley

This is really cool I’ve never thought about it that way.

• remi'sgotinkstains

interesting
    that is the question
    ;)