Katherine Xu

Top of My School

VIDEO: https://www.dropbox.com/s/55b2ofnlxv9fog3/Top%20of%20My%20School.mp4?dl=0

Some people live the life that was given
Some people just get by
Some people never learned how to be driven
Some people don’t even try

But some people know what their heart desires
Some people lead with a passionate fire
And some people know they’re destined
To fly

I’ll go all out, ace every test
No doubt, outdo all the rest
Don’t pout or settle for second best
So I won’t stop, and won’t lose my cool
Don’t flop ‘cause Harvard’s no fool
And who’ll love me
If I’m not the top of my school

Maybe my friends will say I’m overzealous
Maybe I try too hard
Maybe they’ll just have to learn to be jealous
Watching me shine like a star

‘Cause maybe I know what my heart desires
And maybe I’ll lead with a passionate fire
‘Cause baby I know that I’m destined
To fly

But if I hadn’t earned a dollar
What would you think of your dear daughter
Would it be pity or dishonour
To ensue
And if I failed to earn blue ribbon
How could I ever be forgiven
Tell me what love would still be given
From you

I’ll go all out, ace every test
No doubt, outdo all the rest
Don’t pout or settle for second best
So I won’t stop, and won’t lose my cool
Don’t flop ‘cause Harvard’s no fool
And who’ll love me
If I’m not the top of my school
Music, lyrics, arrangement, and lead vocals by Katherine Lynn-Rose Xu.
Piano by Joshua Turchin.
Ensemble: Gabriella Gonzalez, Sydney Sider, Leah Rose Crossan, Kierst, Megan Macfarlane, Joshua Turchin, Kenton Rinks, Kristian Acruz, Aramis Benedik, Noah Meeboer

• poems4all

this sounds like a Disney song!!

• Mespotz

Ahhh am I the only one who gets 'Tightrope' vibes? Great job!

• AJ - Izzy

this is amazing, holy cow, you have a beautiful voice!! congratulations on your achievements, welcome welcome to the site :))

• that one rat from ratatouille

you are SO close to being famous. i knew i recognized these lyrics somewhere and then i went to your tiktok. i can’t believe you’re on wtw. hoping you grow big! <3

AH IM SO SORRY FOR ANOTHER COMMENT BUT IM TOO EXCITED! EYE OF THE STORM IS ABOUT AANG TOOOO!!!!! I LOVE IT SO MUCH!

Ohhhhh In the Clouds is awesome too! MORE AVATAR YESSSSSSSS!!!!!

Wow! I listened to your song on Spotify and I'm even more impressed. (30 thousand monthly listeners? Ummmmm) Right now I'm actually listening to Fight Like A Girl and I LOVE IT! I didn't know you liked the last airbender; I love it! Suki's awesome ;) There's a follow from me!

• kaysthemole

Broadway, LOOK OUT! Great things are coming your way, I guarantee :D

• AbellePuppy34

THIS IS AMAZING!!! You seriously could be famous... I mean this is like unbelievable.

• ProBass13

Nice job-love the music

• TerenNeret

this is literally the best thing i've seen all day, congratulations!!

• rwong

dang ok that was seriously impressive like really really impressive
    and super well deserved -- congrats!!

• beth r.

well that was amazing
    i've lost count of how many times I've watched this video- and you and your friends are absolute theater kid GOALS.
    congrats on a well-deserved win :)

OH wow! this is amazing!! are you a choir/musical theater kid--because you have an amazing voice and amazing passion and WOW!! :D this was a joy to listen to.

• Rohan’s Defender

AHHH CONGRATS!!! WOW THAT WAS AMAZING!! All of it, the song, lyrics, performance..... you deserve to win!! WOW!

• Awesome Sienna

WOW! Great video, and your voice is amazing! Congratulations!

• Avril

WOW this is incredible! I've watched the music video twice already haha. The harmonies are beautiful and the expression in your voice is so meaningful! Congrats on the win!

• cloudi

HOW??!! The lyrics, the power in your voice, I've lost count of how many times I've watched this music video. It is just flawless, the editing is- I can't even, and your friends that helped you make this video are amazing! The lyrics that you wrote flow along perfectly, you can hear the thought and passion in them. I can't wrap my head around how you made this! Wow...

I was so excited I couldn't even spell 'its' right...and that's saying something!

I-I can't...I just can't. This is the most professional, most well done piece I have ever seen here. The amount of emotion, the RAW POWER IN YOUR VOICE, I feel like it's come straight from Broadway. I could listen to your voice on repeat for hours and still feel like I'm hearing it for the first time. I'm not even disappointed about not winning, not after I heard this. You 1000% deserved to win. Congratulations!

• Rohan’s Defender

WOW!! This song is... just wow! AMAZING JOB, and CONGRATS on winning the comp!
    Also, welcome to WtW! I’m Eden! If you ever need anything or wanna talk, just comment on one of my pieces to let me know! Have an awesome night!

• Minvra

Woah. This is very relatable. The feeling of the pressure, I mean.

• Livsnjutare

This is AMAZING!! You have such a beautiful singing voice! I listened to it twice!

And I'm getting major broadway vibes too, btw. seriously.

CONGRATULATIONS! the feel and aesthetic of your video is incredibly professional and beautiful. and not to mention an easy-listening voice and an incredible arrangement. I can't believe how many great people you got to collaborate with you! This was so well put-together and written.

• Ellington Stone

CRAZY good!! I loved the lyrics, so witty and full of character. You're voice is great, and the video was super well done. Congrats!!

• Treblemaker

Broadway called, they want their enseamble back... as well as their hit song XD like DAMN the collaboration that must have went into this. if there isn't already you need to make this a musical

• ~wildflower~

INCREDIBLE! That was just incredible.

• Just_A_Memory

THIS WAS SO GOOD! I’m listening to it again! :D

I just showed this to my brother and he was like "Broadway hire her" like yeah you can sing and write and produce... Lin Manuel Miranda anyone?

• SamRose

WOW!!! This is so amazing. The performance was so awe-inspiring and your voice is incredible. You totally deserved the win! Congratulations!

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

I loved this! The music, the performance... just wow. It was cool how you got your friends to help you. Keep on writing!

• mindfruit (hiatus)

CONGRATS! Extremely well deserved. I loved both the song itself and the performance. and just wow. wow. wow.

OH dang this is incredible! Your video is so professional and everybody is super talented... I'm speechless. Congratulations, you deserve it.

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

This is amazing! You completely deserved the win!!! <3333

• Renegade_Writer [ChildOfGod]

Congrats!

um woah. the singing and the production and the ensemble! amazing! congrats of u lations!
    <3<3<3

• astrea

congrats! its a well deserved win!!!

• barelybear

Fudge this was literally the best music video I’ve ever seen! Congrats on the win and wow your voice is so stunning! I love it so much :D

• AstroWriter

Congrats! Great melody!

• Parisienne

Congrats!! Love this :)

• kristalyukino

congratulations!!! you're performance is absolutely incredible! i'm so happy for you!

• Zirong

Congrats!!! This is really amazing!

• psithurism

Congratulations!

• doodleninja

oh my gosh, your performance of this song was AMAZING! congrats on the win, you totally deserved it! love the emotion, the arrangement, the whole production of the video was spectacular :D

Congratulations on the win!!!

This is wonderful! The music video is so beautiful, and the lyrics are so on-point! Amazing!