barelybear

she/her, INFJ-A
musicals
fantasy/dystopian fiction
piano
life goal = becoming fluent in le français
☕️
est August 2020
community ambassador alum :D
They tell me I’m 16 but I’m sceptical
the squirrel is back!!

I’m really invested in these now, so all feedback would be really amazing. I hope to improve as the series develops. :)

Thanks for coming to this page!

The Murder Transcript: Chen’s Column

7

Notes - Tuesday March 13th 5.32pm : following last night’s disaster interviewing Stacey Murphy, I had to rethink which direction this case was leading. I checked up on her alibi, and sure enough, she was listed Thursday 8th for the deluxe Swedish massage 5-7.30, and her mother got her usual clay mask. 

So who would stand to gain from the death of Brent Brocker, the most popular guy in school, quarterback and boyfriend of the head cheerleader? Looking at it like that, surely almost anybody could easily have hated him. But going back yesterday’s conversation, there was someone Murphy mentioned that stuck with me. 

No, not that poor kid from Illinois. Someone that would stand to gain from the fall of West Compton High’s celebrity couple. 

Jenny Chen. 

Transcript 5.58pm :

Chen     What so is this like an interrogation? Is this where you take all the criminals? Is this where Callum got taken last year when he was caught doing a ton of —

Cooper   Woah there. Okay Jenny, I wouldn’t say interrogation, just a few questions. It is, after all, a murder case, so we need as much information as possible. 

Chen    Well, lady, you’ve come to the right person then! Founder and editor of West Compton Column. Simply ask and ye shall uncover more gossip than things wrong with that hideous outfit Fiona wore to school yesterday. 

(For the record, suspect described full outfit, which apparently included three different shades of green and use of reflective stripes.)

Cooper   Right. From what I’ve heard, as well as running your school’s newspaper, you cheer with Stacey and are currently dating Mr Tyler Moore? 

Chen     Yep. We’ve been going out for three months more than Stacey and Brent, just so you know. 

Cooper    And who do you think would have been crowned Prom King and Queen? 

(A beat of silence) 

Chen     I hardly see how that matters. Stacey would probably have had someone rig it anyway. 

Cooper    It must be hard not being the popular one, not being able to take first choice of anything, not being —

Chen     Mean and blonde? I get by, thanks, and besides, I actually have a future other than settling down with some rich jerk. Now can we just get to the point? What do you want to know? 

Cooper   I was hoping you’d shed some light on anyone who might have wanted Brent out of the way, being the great hoarder of information that you are. 

Chen     Honestly, Officer, I can think of a dozen people who would have easily killed Stacey, but Brent was actually alright. He’d never been anything but chivalrous towards me, and from what Ty told me, most of the guys look up to him. And as for gossip on him, I’ve got practically nothing. Well  only a small thing anyway. 

Cooper    What? All information could be crucial. 

Chen    Well one of my most reliable sources claims Brent stayed behind after school every Thursday starting around January. Stayed in the prep room with whatever teacher was on duty until 5:30 and then headed left up to the High Street. That’s the day Stacey goes to the spa —

Cooper   And also the day he was murdered. 

Chen     Yes. 

Cooper    So... this is all from a source? Where were you last Thursday? 

Chen    I was doing chemistry with Ty. We’re working on bonding at the moment. 

Cooper    Where? 

Chen     In the mouth, sheish. 

Cooper    I meant where were you two? At your place? 

Chen      No way. My dad is super nosy, and Ty has a younger sister so it’s hard to get anything done in private at his house. There’s a sweet spot just near Elm Street if you scare all the little kids away. Which, I think you’ll find, is really far away from where he was murdered. 

Cooper    I see. And this source you have, would you care to give a name? I’d like to find out more about these Thursday events. 

Chen    What? If I start giving away sources, anyone could start competition with the Column!

Cooper    This is for a murder investigation, Jenny. I think you could let it slip just to me. 

Chen     Fine. It’s my biology teacher, Mr Lopez. He likes to stay behind and take care of his plants. It’s pretty creepy, if you ask me, but all I have to do to get some good gossip is buy him a cactus or a little trowel or something.
I swear though, if word gets out about this, the next mini rake I buy will be coming for you. 

Cooper    Woah there. Seems a little unwise to be threatening the officer handling arrests on this case, Ms Chen. But don’t worry, I’m not planning on telling anyone. Just one last thing before I let you go. 

Chen    Yeah?

Cooper    Earlier, when you said you were at Elm street, you knew it was far from the crime scene. I don’t remember giving you access to my files, and I certainly didn’t tell you, so how did you know? 

Chen    Well, actually, Holly lives near where Brent was killed. I know that because she sent a snap on Thursday of an ambulance going past her house. Ambulance depot is over by Arch Lane, and if it was going past Holly’s house, that means it skipped the High Street and was either heading towards the school, the gym, or someplace in between. All of which are way over on the West side of town, while my place and Elm Street are on the East. 

Cooper   Huh. I guess you’re quite the detective. 

Chen    It’s just that most people don’t notice anything. But hey, seeing as I got so close, would you give a girl some satisfaction and tell me where it was? 

Cooper    Alright... You were pretty close with the gym, but you didn’t hear anything from me. I think that’s about enough for today, Jenny, but I might call you back in again soon. Oh, and do not publish the crime scene. 

Chen     Me? Spread fun and shocking gossip in a quirky typewriter font? Never

Cooper    Don’t you dare! 

Notes 8.12pm : I shouldn’t have told her that. Still, I have a lead now. What could Brent have been up to every Thursday? Without Stacey. Plus, Jenny Chen seems like a nice enough kid. And I did explicitly tell her not to spread the location to anyone. 

Notes - Wednesday March 14th 10.25am  :

She published it. Drat! Still not sure if her deductions add up. It seems odd that she knew almost exactly where Brent was stabbed. We deliberately didn’t announce anything. 

Thanks to A.Penderwick for the request to continue the series! 
I’ve planned out the plot now, which is why part two took so long haha. Also I’m feeling 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  motivated  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧          :D

p.s. I’m super proud that I’ve figured out how to make a link :)))

p.p.s. Gah I’m beginning to talk like an American! Take this English perspective of your cheesy American High School movies :) dw I won’t say the m-o-m word. 

1

Ooh the plot thickens!

• Jason_claire :)

Hahaha, I spent two weeks with a girl holding a thick southern accent, I finished the camp with one myself that I couldn't get rid of for solid days. Thus story is taking an interesting turn! I like how you make everyone a possibly suspect while also keeping it very realistic.

• Livsnjutare

I just reviewed! :)

OHHH I just realized thattt's what you meant by saying you learnt how to link it- waittt that was so cool!!
    Oh my Cooper is so dumb!! It's obviously Chen! (or is it?) this was again- amazing and super entertaining as per usual!

• doodleninja

re: aw thank you so much! your feedback means a lot :)

Re: Potato it is! (Pronounced po-TEI-to not po-TAH-to although the second one would be funnier XD)

• A. Penderwick

Alright, I know I keep commenting everywhere, but this will be the last one, promise. This is getting interesting...
    I don't think Jenny is the killer, but maybe that's just bias, because I kind of love her. I also love how you include the notes at the end of the interviews, I think it really adds another layer to this. :D

• A. Penderwick

Re: Yeah, I think cherishing the now is right way to go. Thank you so much for your comment, I really appreciate it. And that's awesome, I've glad you found the motivation! As soon as I finish typing this, I'm gonna read these. :D

Re: Omg the rhymes with series!! I haven't done one in awhile.. Since you reminded me of it do you have a word i could rhyme with for the next one? :P you would be the shoutout in message board as always heh