anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

Thanks so much, y’all! Excuse the odd pauses and buzzing strings... and voice cracks... and not being in key...

A Beautiful Ache

[VERSE 1]
I hear whispers of inspiration from letters on the page
Faded ink and dusty shelves and spines cracked with age
They tell me their secrets and I try to understand
Long-forgotten melodies and books that were banned

[PRE-CHORUS 1]
And I try,
To make sense of it all, and I try
I don’t know what anything means

[CHORUS]
Darling, these written words, they shine like the sun
Reminding us of who we are and who we might become
They speak and they whisper, they shout and they plead
I wanna feel every precious sentence they weave, ooh
It’s a longing in my heart
A fire in my mind
It’s like an ache in my soul
A beautiful ache

[VERSE 2]
I see flashes of revelations from the core of humanity
Thoughtful eyes and open arms and the way you look at me
We tell each other secrets that we always understand
Conversations become our poetry when you take my hand

[PRE-CHORUS 2]
And I live,
So I can make sense of you, and I live
I will follow  where you lead

[CHORUS]
Darling, these spoken words, they shine like the sun
We speak and we whisper, we shout and we plead
I’m gonna feel every precious sentence we weave, ooh
It’s a longing in my heart
A fire in my mind
It’s like an ache in my soul
A beautiful ache

[BRIDGE]
Every lonely word
Waiting to be found
Pleading to be heard
Every lovely pen
That writes for the world
That longs to be read
Oh, this beautiful 
Ache
That penetrates
The depths of who I am
And who I hope to be

[VERSE 3]
I have visions of celebrations from the warmth of community
Rising to greet the dawn in a place where we’re free
Laughter rings for miles and miles all around
There’s nothing like that beautiful, inharmonious sound

[PRE-CHORUS 3]
And I love,
So I can make sense of this world, and I love
Now I know who I must be

[CHORUS]
Darling, these golden words, they shine like the sun
We wanna feel every precious sentence we weave, ooh
It’s a longing in my heart
It’s a fire in my mind
It’s like an ache in my soul
A beautiful ache

[OUTRO]
People give me 
That beautiful ache
You give me 
That beautiful ache
Words give me
That beautiful ache
It’s such a beautiful ache
1.11.21: Herethis song accompanied by my tenor ukulele. I changed the chord arrangements, so it’s a little easier to play but I’m not sure it sounds right. It won’t be the final for this song but it might be close to the final I submit for the competition. https://drive.google.com/file/d/10RJmAWjJyhI9gLOO3N4Ywx4WyZ0Ar41M/view?usp=drivesdk

I plan on recording this on the ukulele, but here's an a cappella version while I work on that: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IInd1fMiZxomMKwwhw1xJaK-aAfiFcS3/view?usp=sharing
Hopefully you can tolerate my singing to understand how it sounds in my head.

• Rohan’s Defender

THIS IS AWESOME, ERIN!!! The ukulele and your singing, great job!! Best of luck to you in the comp!!!

• Busssy.Beee

ERINNN, WHAT THE!!! YOUR VOICEEE!!! AHH!! GORGEOUS!! and brooo, your lyrics match perfectly with your tone!! Beautiful!! <3

I'm back! I'm wearing my comfy Pj's and I'm sitting on the desk with the ukulele in my hand, and I made one observation in the song: The ukulele chords are in a different key.

Chord-wise, they're perfect! You've selected just the right chords for the song, but when you play them, you're singing in a different key. You can keep the chords as they are (I am guessing you're playing G-A-D-A for the verse, which is what I'm going to take the example as)

G-A-D-A shows that the song is in D major (More info on that below) but when you sing it, you're singing it in B major. So, to fix this, wither change the chords from G-A-D-A to E-F#-B-F# and sing it in the same way you do in the recording, or else you can adjust your voice (higher or lower) to the chords in this recording.

When it comes to keys, I don't know how much you know about them, so a quick rundown: I'm pretty sure you know that in Western music, you use the notations of A, B, C, D, E, F, and G, with most of them having sharps (#) and flats (b)(I can't find the flat symbol, but it looks like that). Let's take D major as an example: The scale being D, we start on D. So the scale goes D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#, D. Now, the question arises, why F# and C#? That would take a lot of time to answer. And it's knowledge not needed.

In every scale, the chord of the first, fourth and fifth note are major. So since you've used G, D, and A, it's clear you're playing in G major. TO transpose the chords, just write down both the scales underneath each other, and check the corresponding notes, and play the chords (Or google them. Some chords are devils in disguise that want us to fail XD)

I know you said you aren't submitting a recording, but I hope this helps!

And as I said earlier, your voice is brilliant!

• Nikki

i spelled 'you're' wrong a bunch of times so please excuse that. i suck at spellings and i have a bandage on each thumb! :)

• Nikki

my holy god! what can you not do girlfriend? i could seriously listen to this song a thousand times, you have such a beautiful beautiful voice. i love the entire concept, it reminds me (if i may...) of a far away land. like your somewhere far far away and your describing your world. and the chords and really well coordinated.
    great job and all the very best for the competition <3

• Zirong

oooo this is GREAT! You are so talented :) I've always wanted to learn ukulele!

re: thank uuu~ Your comment is so sweet :3 I'm fluent in Mandarin -- actually, it's my mother tongue :D A friend of mine tried to teach me some Cantonese but I still can't fully figure it out XD Also, I'm a sprinter(mainly 50/100/200) I really admire long distance runners coz my stamina is not that great :D

• ava09 (sorta back)

so so pretty and well written. you have a really lovely voice. taylor would be proud - especially of that bridge xd. love the new username and profile pic! good luck in the comp!! <3 (p.s. i can't wait for the release of the re-recorded fearless!!! :D )

yay! amazing. your uke sounds great, much more in tune than mine. also i can only play like 3 chords so. this is great, i love it, and thanks for letting me know :) <3

This is really amazing! I have a bit of feedback on the chords (ways you can make it sound better) but it's too early for me to think straight right now, so I'll have it done by this time tomorrow!

i- ok um how do I say this. YOUR VOICE IS AMAZING AND THE LYICIES ARE JUST PERFECT!!

• Alias 3

THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL! LIKE IT"S UNREAL HOW GOOD THIS IS!

• Rose A(hiatus)

You're doing great, Erin!

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

HHHH I DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO LISTEN TO IT RN BUT I KNOW IT'S GREAT