anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

republish on 2.7.21 @ the end of the 3rd quarter of Super Bowl LV: working on the recording with the uke! thanks for all the support and love! um... i feel like there was something else i was gonna tell you guys, but i forget.
the halftime show was kind of a let down, ngl. and i missed the beginning of the national anthem, but i did see eric church! (what a voice, he's incredible)

republish on 2.5.21 @ 2:25 pm PST: ok, please don't feel the need to tell me my voice is good when i've literally never been told that. well, i've been told it sounds good by friends, but that's different. it's decent. i can sing certain songs tolerably, but it will be much better with a ukulele backing those vocals.
original message: recording attached! i plan to get this down on the uke and attach that performance for final submissions; i finished writing chords today (guys, i've NEVER written music. Like, EVER. I picked up the uke at the beginning of January, and i still can't read sheet music and haven't bothered with strumming patterns. and somehow i'm WRITING chords for my song?) it's crazy.

A Beautiful Ache

[VERSE 1]
I hear whispers of inspiration from letters on the page
Faded ink and dusty shelves and spines cracked with age
They tell me their secrets and I try to understand
Long-forgotten melodies and books that were banned

[PRE-CHORUS]
And I try,
To make sense of it all, and I try
I don’t know what anything means

[CHORUS]
Darling, these written words, they shine like the sun
Reminding us of who we are and who we might become
They speak and they whisper, they shout and they plead
I wanna feel every precious sentence they weave, ooh

[POST-CHORUS]
It’s a longing in my heart
A fire in my mind
It’s like an ache in my soul
A beautiful ache

[VERSE 2]
I see flashes of revelations from the core of humanity
Thoughtful eyes and open arms and the way you look at me
We tell each other secrets that we always understand
Conversations become our poetry when you take my hand

[PRE-CHORUS]
And I live,
So I can make sense of you, and I live
I will follow  where you lead

[CHORUS]
Darling, these spoken words, they shine like the sun
We speak and we whisper, we shout and we plead
I’m gonna feel every precious sentence we weave, ooh

[POST-CHORUS]
It’s a longing in my heart
A fire in my mind
It’s like an ache in my soul
A beautiful ache

[BRIDGE]
Every lonely word
Waiting to be found
Pleading to be heard
Every lovely pen
That writes for the world
That longs to be read
Oh, this beautiful 
Ache
That penetrates
The depths of who I am
And who I hope to be

[VERSE 3]
I have visions of celebrations from the warmth of community
Rising to greet the dawn in a place where we’re free
Laughter rings for miles and miles all around
There’s nothing like that beautiful, inharmonious sound

[PRE-CHORUS]
And I love,
So I can make sense of this world, and I love
Now I know who I must be

[CHORUS]
Darling, these golden words, they shine like the sun
We wanna feel every precious sentence we weave, ooh

[POST-CHORUS] 
It’s a longing in my heart
It’s a fire in my mind
It’s like an ache in my soul
A beautiful ache

[OUTRO]
People give me 
That beautiful ache
You give me 
That beautiful ache
Words give me
That beautiful ache
It’s such a beautiful ache
I plan on recording this on the ukulele, but here's an a cappella version while I work on that: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IInd1fMiZxomMKwwhw1xJaK-aAfiFcS3/view?usp=sharing
Hopefully you can tolerate my singing to understand how it sounds in my head.

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

• Coeur

This is amazingly written!!! It's so gorgeous, wow. It's got great descriptive words and it sounds like a song I'd binge listen to honestly.

• doodleninja

re: *cries* i know i feel like i hardly spend any time on here anymore XD but i love your new username! hope you've been doing well :)

• mindfruit

Re: a WtW warrior? that's a new one, but I'll take it! ah, I see now about the rise. thanks for the explanation!

• mindfruit

WOW. Just wow. This song is beautifully written, and I really enjoyed listening to the a cappella version. The cadence, the lyrics, the tune of your voice - I just cannot wait to hear the final project! I think my favorite part would have to be "Words give me
    That beautiful ache" the way your voice rises is so satisfying. And the fact that this is your first time writing music just makes it even more impressive. Just a little tidbit to think about: I noticed at the last line your voice rises on "ache". I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like I was expecting your voice to go lower instead higher. Maybe because in the previous line your voice rises? idk. Overall, though, very nice song!
    Re: yep, I'm back! thank you :)

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

I love this!!!!! So beautiful

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

Re: I am so glad you saw that piece. Please spread that message :)

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

re: yup, ebenezer barney and timothy are gonna form like, an outcast crew, lol

• McK13

These lyrics are so beautifully written! Your voice is amazing too! Can't wait to hear it with the ukelele and good luck in the competition :)

• doodleninja

such pretty lyrics and you have such a pretty voice too! i love the theme of "beautiful ache" and all the imagery you use. wishing you all the best in arranging it for the ukulele and hope you do well in the comp! :)

• Parisienne

Ik I've read this piece before but those first two lines get me every time. Really beautiful! OMG your voice is STUNNING!!!!!!!!! The lyrics are even more impressive when paired with your singing. WOW!
    Re: thanks so much, I’m glad you liked it :). IKR, it’s actually so interesting to talk about our various perceptions of each other’s country! Haha, I’m glad its that obvious that I went to Hogwarts (shhhh don’t tell)…I hate to admit it but I was sorted into slytherin. Cunning and slightly evil. How embarrassing to be put in the bad house. Have you done the online test? If so which house were you in?
    Ah, well it’s still so awesome that you visited. Wow that’s so interesting about your heritage! I don’t really look like your stereotypical English girl either, except that I’m very pale (I mean in a country where it rains all the time that’s kind of expected, right?) People always say I look French, I think it’s because I have brown hair, blue eyes and an awkwardness that people mistake for je ne sais quois :D. I guess America is quite multicultural, so I guess there aren’t really as many tan and beachy cali girls that Brits like me think are the norm, right? I love that you’re not a beach girl though, because I’m not either – it’s mountains and mud all the way for me. I’ve only ever seen a desert from a plane…but I would really love to actually see one at ground level!
    Yeah the tea thing is always the GB stereotype, but I only drink it when my grandma brews it all for us or if I have a migraine. I’m not the norm though, so don’t worry I think the tea assumption is probably founded on truth :D
    Exactly, I can’t stand the posh ones (although they are hilarious for imitating!) I live in Dorset, so if you know what a Dorset burr sounds like, I think you’d LOVE trying to imitate it! If you watch Far From the Madding crowd (the new one with Carey Mulligan) then you’ll see what I mean with the Dorset farmers accents. Most people around here don’t actually still have the Dorset accent, (I sound more like Bathsheba in the movie than any of the other characters) but there are people in my area who still speak with it. Anyway its one of my favourite films, but you really don’t have to watch it if you don’t want to…it’s only if you’d like! Btw I call dibs on Gabriel Oake (You have a boyf after all!)
    Both cities sound amazing but I gotta say even before you said NYC it was top of my list! It all sounds amazing, I am really jealous that you saw all that. Ah! I Iove fashion too, that exhibition sounds INCREDIBLE. If you’re ever in London, visit the V & A because they have endless fashion exhibitions from the old eras and new (a friend of mine saw a McQueen exhibition there once). I saw the Victorian exhibition when I was younger, it was amazing. If you’re ever in the UK it would be amazing to meet you there. Might have to visit DC too then, as you’ve really made me want to see the Smithsonian now! The empire state at night – OMG you lucky thing how beautiful!
    I love your view on the Royal’s! I really admire the Queen too, because she really has worked her whole life through and she’s so respectful to people of different nationalities. That’s a rarity in Britain which is a real shame, as it’s such a melting pot but ‘British’ people can’t seem to understand that (if you get me). IK, I don’t know whether it’s the lack of physical work they have to do or if there’s just some weird gene that makes them all live to being the age of a tortoise, but the royals really do have longevity on their side! You have no idea how hard I laughed at you saying the Queen is a cannibal. I mean, I don’t know of course (it’s not like I go to dinner at Buckingham palace each week) but I think not. I’m a swiftie too! I love her lyrics too and music, my favourites are probably all too well, innocent and sparks fly. Which of her songs do you like? Still amazed by how good a singer you are…maybe you’ll be the next Taylor Swift!
    Paris really was a dream. I fell in love with it as I was growing up, same as travel as a whole. I spent hours reading books on foreign countries, pacing through brochures and pouring over my atlas. And then one day I stumbled on Paris. I fell in love with it mostly because my mum used to tell me that I was like a Parisian woman, and recount stories of how they live. I think its because I’ve never totally fitted in here and I thought I could if I lived there. It’s everything I love in the world (art, adventure, fun, music, green spaces, romance, classical chic, books, beauty), all wrapped up in butter croissants and hidden in the most stunning monuments. I planned to go there with my ex, I’d been best friends with him for years so he knew just how paris-crazy I am. When we broke up I didn’t think I could ever visit without him, but I did. And it was just perfect. Sorry that probs seems really depressing but, basically I love Paris because it feels like home to me :).
    Utah sounds wonderful, I can’t wait to visit America to see all your national parks! They seem amazing. We’re really similar, in that I love the mountains too. We go once a year to the Lake District and it’s the most perfect place in the world. You’d love it! I dream of living there one day (after Paris, once I have grey hair and just want to spend all day, every day, walking in the place I love!). Well imma have to go to Oregan and California then, one day.
    I’m in GMT so right now its half ten.

• Tushar Mandhan

idk should i appreciate you voice or writing first!!! 'Long-forgotten melodies and books that were banned' goodness :O and the way you say 'beautiful ache' is just perfection!!! the diction and flow of the song....i would have bought it if it were a single!!
    P.S.- i got a copy of fearless album ;) i wanted it badly but i was waiting for rerecorded versions but patience!!! XD

• jubileesong42

This is awesome! I think it'll be even prettier with the ukulele. <3 Let me know if a review would be cool?

• Kahte

I love your lyricism, the conversational tone is really neat. :)