EliathRose

~Elizabeth~
~She/Her/Theirs~
~Christian~
~LGBTQ+~

I'm thinking of making this a monthly thing to help motivate me to read more often.

Also, does anybody want to talk about any of these books? That could be really fun.

Reading Wrap-Up January 2021 | Book Ratings & Reviews

6
  • Calamity Jane by Sam Campbell 
4/5 Stars | Recommended For: Anybody looking for a sweet, heartwarming animal-centered story
    Calamity Jane is the name of this book's troublemaking racoon main character. It follows her story as she lives out in the wild woods, showing the drama and hilarity of racoon life. Capturing everything from comical hijinks to heart-stopping suspense, this book (and the little critters who live inside it) will be sure to win a spot in your heart. I liked this book for its down-to-earth, conversational tone. It felt as if the author was sitting in front of you in front of a little crackling fire, telling the story to you as if you were his best friend. It's a very simple, easy read, but it will not fail to make you smile. 
  • Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe     
​3/5 Stars | Recommended For: Those interested in history and unique stories
        Things Fall Apart is set in pre-colonial Nigeria, following the story of Okonkwo, an Ibo man with a large family and a notable name to keep. Dealing with the struggles of parental influence, pride, and later on, colonization, this is a story that will spark conversation and open eyes. I personally enjoyed the writing style, and the way the sentences roll through the mind is unique and fresh. This book also lends itself well for studies of character motivations and a chance to look deeper into what makes people do what they do, whether good or bad. 

• Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
2.5/5 Stars | Recommended For: Fans of high fantasy and heist stories

Mistborn: The Final Empire is set in a world in which ash falls from the sky and dreary mist cloaks the land every night. A story of rebellion, trust, and friendship, it will lure you into believing that you know everything and then twisting the path at the last minute. Although I did enjoy the ending of the book immensely, the rest was a bit repetitive and tedious. The characters were definitely the book's strong point, and seeing their growth throughout their experiences was gratifying, but the plot was the standard revolution fantasy story and didn't stray from the formula very often. There were good and not-so-good moments in this book, but in the end, I'm glad I read it, if only for the joy of saying that I had.

• They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera
4/5 Stars | Recommended For: People who enjoy bittersweet endings and Y/A books

They Both Die at the End is, as you can guess from the title, a story about death. Telling the story of two young men as they grapple with their mortality and make the best out of a grim situation, it is a book that will tear you down, only to build you back up and then tear you down once more. I cried so many times while reading this book, which isn't saying much as I cry at every book I read, but still. It was heart-wrenching in the most beautiful way possible, and from the very beginning, I was sucked in so far that I couldn't get out. The writing shifted noticeably to show the different character's speech patterns when it dove inside their points of view while still maintaining the same easy-to-read quality.

• Circe by Madeline Miller
5/5 Stars | Recommended For: Those interested in Greek mythology and beautiful writing

Circe is centered on the enchantress of Aiaia, Circe. The exiled daughter of Helios, Titan god of the sun, her story is set before and during her time living on a lonely island in the middle of nowhere. As dull as it may seem, life in ancient Greece never allows one to stay very idle for long, and numerous adventures take her from being a meek, shy girl sitting quietly at her father's feet to a strong-willed, determined woman who stands up to even the gods themselves. Although the take on the myths is intriguing and new and the character arcs are exceedingly well-executed, this book's true beauty lies in the writing. The words immediately left me with the need to write poetry about ancient wonders. When I first started this book, I was expecting my high hopes to be dashed--I had read Miller's other book, The Song of Achilles, and it instantly rose to "favorite book" status, so I was expecting a lot out of this one. It did not disappoint; 5/5 stars is an understatement.

*All my personal opinions*

• Yellow Sweater

I loved Circe! Have you read Song of Achillies? If anything I actually liked that one better. Her writing is such a strange, but wonderful combination of intimate and reserved.

• (sk)eyesofocher

im sorry but I couldn't help but laugh at your comment under Beth R.'s British piece--you spelled Benadryl Cabbagepatch wrong.
    (this is not even related im so sorry)

• ~Zoe N~

re: Yeah, probably. People often say that we have all kinds of weird laws, as well as just weird hobbies in general haha. I've never noticed but perhaps that's just because I live here :) Yeah, I do wonder about other states, I haven't heard many about other states.

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

re- I'd never heard of it either but found it when looking for books on Depop (i try to find most of my books on there, i feel a little less bad about all the paper as i hate e-books xD) I'm about 70 pages into it, and I'm not really feeling it to be honest. I think it's geared at younger readers, but I don't know, I guess time will tell! (:

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

Oh my goodness, how did you read that many books in one month? I highly commend you! I was in a bit of a reading slump at the start of January, so I only managed to finish my first book of the year this morning, but I'm still saying it's in my January reading list xD Circe is actually on my books to be bought list! It sounds so good! Anyways, I'm about to read Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D.Schmidt! ((:

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Re: I understand but it's teribbly feminist-y actually, and in my area girls do it for attention, and I understand as I've received lots of criticism on my piece already and I'd appreciate if you didn't add to that, I understand this was wrong and I'm sorry but I appreciate you not bugging me for being me as I'm not shaming anyone

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Re: Yes, it is wrong because they don't do it for themselves and feed into the stereotypes about girls making those who don't want to be the stereotype feel down and then boys expect all girls to do this. Anyways, yes I agree about society nudging a bit away from the stereotype but some of my teachers well they have a long way to go before they expect girls as who they are :)

• anemoia by a thread

ooohhhh i wanna read circe now
    nice reviews!