Writing4Life

#BLM
Welcome to my profile!
I'm Ruth :D
15

Christian ✞
Homeschooled
ENFP-T
Actor
Equestrian
Singer
Pianist
Musicals ♡
Learning le Français ~u~
Want a review? Just ask!
Just your friendly neighbourhood writer..

Whooo so I started working on this ages ago, but got bored and ignored it. I finally decided to finish it and now it's finished, yayy! :P Anywayyys, so the ending totally went in a different direction than I expected but ya know, we're all good for plot twisties. So yeah, peer reviews and constructive criticism would be great UwU Enjoy my little cultlets :D (in case you don't know, that's what I call my followers)

the invisible inheritance

7
July 19th, 1903
A young man stood before a new, state of the art building. His foot tapped with young nervousness, and he straightened his tie for the hundredth tie. Under his breath, he recited his lines.
"How d'ya do? No, no. How are you sir? Yes, that's perfect. I want to- no, that sounds passive-aggressive. Just...don't say anything!" He let out a shaky breath, and quickly smoothed his hair back. Somehow, after spending several long hours in the bathroom, his hair had not quite abandoned its unruly self like he had wished. His tweed suit, upon closer observation, would prove rather rugged, and a few sizes too large, but it was clean and free from holes. His shoes were scuffed, but polished and clean. His beard gave away his young age, barely visible against his sun-warmed skin. He fumbled in his pocket and pulled out a small piece of paper.
"Just give it to them. That's all you have to do," He told himself nervously. He looked up. Two white swinging doors were between him and his destiny. He took a deep breath and stepped forward into the building.

January 8th, 2007
"Hello?" The call echoes through the building. A teenage boy steps through a pair of dirty swinging doors into an old, musty building. 
"Is anyone here?" His Nike sneakers, shiny and new, step lightly over the dust covered floor. He coughs and swats away several cobwebs from his face. Something squelches beneath his feet and he looks down in disgust.
"Urgh gross! These are new!" He scrapes his foot against a stairwell nearby, and looks around. He never knew there were still buildings like this in New Jersey. He had simply been walking home from school, and had stopped against a wall of ivy to tie his shoes. He had felt something behind him, and when he investigated more closely, found it was a gate. He managed to climb over it, and then found himself a stone's throw from the building. It was crazy how close he had been to finding it all this time, yet never thought of looking closer. Any old buildings nowadays seemed doomed to collapse, and rise again, as new, state of the art buildings, which of course would someday be replaced by newer buildings. He kicks an old desk and bends down to look at it. He pulls at an old draw, and drops it as a rat's beady eyes glare at him. It squeaks and hops out of the desk, scampering over his shoe as it disappears in a hole in the wall. The boy grimaces and brushes his shoe off. A small piece of paper lies in a corner of the box, a large portion of it nibbled off by the offending rat. He picked it up, the corners crumbling a little as his fingers touch it. He peers closely at the paper, where some faint writing was printed. It was in loopy, messy writing, and he can only just read it. 
Jackson Nervada.
No. 16 Swain St, 
New Jersey.

And that was it. The boy frowns. The name sounds familiar, somehow. Jackson Nervada. He shrugs the curiosity off, and carefully slips the piece of paper into his pocket. He stands up and frowns. He wonders what the building had once looked like. He can almost imagine it; a pure white, spiraling staircase winding up to a second floor, and a clean interior, decorated with new furniture. Those two swinging doors were now coated in a fresh layer of paint, and the floor was shiny and polished. In a second, the vision disappeared and suddenly the staircase was missing several steps, the furniture was falling apart, the swinging doors were hanging by one hinge, and the floor was coated by a layer of grime. The boy sighs. He'll never know the history of the building. It was a mystery. He sits down on a chair behind the desk, and folds his arms on it. In his mind, he almost can hear the bell dinging over the doors as if someone was just about to walk through it.

July 19th, 1903
"Come in!" The voice came as the young man stepped through the doors into the clean, pure white room. The man looked to his right to see a lady sitting behind a desk. She smiled brightly at him.
"Hello!" She said cheerfully.
"H-h-hi. I-I came to-to give you this-" He said, abruptly handing over the piece of paper to the lady.
"Oh! Thank you!" She smiled and reading it, placed it in a drawer.
"I'm assuming you're here to claim your inheritance?" 
"Yes! Yes, yes I am," The man awkwardly smoothed his hair back. The lady smiled again.
"Well, the paper wasn't really needed, but thank you anyway. Why don't you step through those doors, and you can talk to one of our brokers?" The man nodded gratefully and opening the door, walked in. And old man sat at a desk.
"Greetings. Why don't you take a seat?" He said. The young man smiled; a sideways sort of smile.
"Thank you," He said, sitting down opposite the man.
"Name?" The man asked, flipping through some papers.
"Nervada. Jackson Nervada." The man nodded and scribbled something down.
"So, tell me why you're here."
"Oh. Well my father, Warner Nervada just recently died. He said he had a rather large inheritance."
"I'm sorry for your loss." Jackson laughed.
"Oh no, don't be. I saw him for the first time on his deathbed. He never cared about me." The old man coughed awkwardly.
"Ah, well then, let's see about his inheritance. Warner, you said?" The man grabbed a large stack of papers and flipped through them. He shook his head.
"I'm sorry, but your father's name is not here." Jackson leaned forward, suddenly worried.
"N-not here? What do you mean? Look again, it must be there! He said he left it with your business!" The man shook his head.
"I'm sorry, but it's not here. Perhaps he used up the money?" Jackson started breathing heavily.
"Is there anything else I can do for you?" The man asked, irritatingly. 
"No." Jackson shoved his chair back so hard that it fell to the ground. He stormed out of the building, ignoring the cheery secretary's "Goodbye!" as he slammed the doors behind him. He kicked the gravel path. His inheritance...the money.....gone. The company must have conspired against him, worked against him! His mind, once clear was now confused and disorganized. His world was collapsing before his eyes. Taking a deep breath, he stood up, straightened his tie, and looked behind him. If he was going to go down, so would they. 

January 8th, 2007
The boy stands up, and walks through a pair of doors near the desk. A large pile of scattered papers lie on the floor, slowly crumbling into obscurity. The room seems fairly undisturbed. He kicks the papers and the top sheet slowly flutters to the floor. Curious, the boy picks it up. The letters are faint, and almost invisible in the pale light filtering through the windows shutters, so the boy turns to the window and pulls the shutters up. Well, tried to pull them up; as soon as he touches them they clatter to the ground. Sunshine bursts through and the boy turns back to the paper. Just visible, he reads the words,
Nervada, Warner
$1,000,000
To be given to his son, Jackson Nervada.

The boy stares at the paper. A million dollars back then would be....about 30 million nowadays! What a fortune!
"They couldn't have just....left. Not when they had such a rich customer!" He thinks aloud. Even though the paper would be worthless now, the boy tucks it into his pocket. 
"I wonder what happened here?" He thinks silently.

September 29th, 1903
"E-evicted? What do you mean?" The secretary's eyes widened as she read the paper in her hands. Jackson smiled.
"Well, I had a little talk with the owner of this property and it seems you haven't paid your rent for the last 2 months."
"We were going to! Anyway, the owner gave us a notice, and said we could have an extra few months to pay it off! He can't just change his mind like that!" 
"Apparently, he can. You have 2 days to leave."
"But-"
"2 days. That's all." Jackson readjusted his jacket, tipped his hat mockingly, and slammed the door behind him. The bell dolefully jingled, seeming to realize what was happening. The secretary put her head in her hands as tears formed in her eyes.

"Jeanette, please, don't be so loud." The old man looked up, irritated, as the secretary burst through his doors. The man's brow furrowed as he saw her face.
"Jeanette. W-what's wrong?"

"Evicted? We can't be!" The man, Matthew, cried in shock. The secretary nodded, and hid her face in her hands. 
"It was that man, Jackson Nervada. He made it happen." Matthew frowned.
"Jackson...yes, he was trying to find his father's inheritance, but it wasn't here." Matthew banged his fist on the table, and suddenly, a drawer popped open.
"What was that?" Jeanette cried. Matthew frowned again, and peered at the drawer. Suddenly, he slapped his forehead.
"Of course! Oh what a fool I am!" 
"What?"
"I forgot that Jackson's father, Warner made me put his inheritance slip in this drawer, since it was such a large sum!" He groaned. 
"We must find Jackson then!" The secretary yelled. Absentmindedly, Matthew dropped the piece of paper on a large stack of other documents, and they raced out the door.

Little did they know, as they searched New Jersey, Jackson Nervada was with the owner of the property, in his office.
"Thank you for letting me know about this, Jackson. I didn't know I had such untrustworthy costumers." The owner smiled, and putting out his hand, shook hands with Jackson.
"Of course, sir. Now, may I have the honor of taking you out for a drink? I know a brilliant bar near here." The owner smiled.
"Indeed!"

Several hours later, Jackson was with the very drunk owner, back in the office.
"Wellll, thanks very much for tha....drink," The owner slurred. Jackson nodded, a cunning look on his face.
"Now sir, I believe it's time we did some...business."

When the exhausted Jeanette and Matthew finally made their way back to the bank, they stopped in shock. The gate's door had been padlocked, and the gate had been reinforced. A sign on the gate read "Property of Jackson Nervada. Trespassers will be prosecuted." 
"H-he said 2 days! How does he own it now?" The secretary cried. Matthew shook his head.
"There's no way we're getting in there. He doesn't deserve the money. Leave it."

January 8th, 2007
The boy slowly walks out of the building. Suddenly, he gasps.
"Nervada!" He remembers, suddenly, his mother telling him about his great-great-grandfather, Jackson Nervada. Trying to recall the memory back to his brain, the boy sits on the stairs and concentrates. His mother has said something about him dying young, and....having lost a big inheritance, that's right! The boy's family may have still been rich now, if it hadn't been for that. So the name on that inheritance was his great-great-grandfathers! He pulled the inheritance out of his pocket. A sinking feeling filled his stomach for no reason. Somehow he felt that Jackson hadn't been a good person. Getting up, he walked to the gate, clambered over it, and walked away. He wouldn't tell anyone, or show anyone the papers, he decided. Jackson's secret was safe with him. The boy gave a sideways smile, and, readjusting his jacket, he kept walking.

Unbeknownst to him, a shadowy figure watched him from behind a tree.
"Everything is going as planned." It croaked. It stepped out from behind the tree. Unruly hair, a too-large tweed suit, scuffed shoes, and translucent skin... It watched the boy walk away.
"Don't worry son, you'll be back." A sideways smile stretched across the transparent skin, and Jackson Nervada, realizing his victory, started laughing.

1

• Ree Sethu

wow! such a well constructed piece!

• V-Rose

Hey-lo! Just left a review! I still have shivers! It was awesome!

Wow, this was such a great plot! I loved how you went back and forth in time and had the present-day boy find the slip of paper before the story really unfurled in the past because it added an amazing sense of suspense! And the ending- oh my! I'm so hooked, you must write another part!! I love some of your descriptions as well, I can really envision it all happening. Like, "He kicks the papers and the top sheet slowly flutters to the floor." perfect!! And my oh my, this Jackson character has got quite a temper!
    RE: Omg awwww you’re so sweet!! Thank youuu!! And Ruth is such a powerful name- I mean Ruth Bader Ginsburg!!!

• doodleninja

re: no tests sounds like a DREAM XD that's super cool! have you been learning anything interesting lately??

• doodleninja

re: sounds like a fun read! i've been in such a reading slump lately, i miss reading so much :(
    and actually i'm homeschooled too! i'm part of a co-op though that has all senior students do this paper. forgive me if i've already asked this, but are you part of any co-op, or are you completely independent? :)

• A. Penderwick

Re: Thanks for being so understanding. :)

• A. Penderwick

Re: I really appreciate your comment. I definitely do see how that can be a comfort. For me, I get that comfort from other places. I was listening to a theater podcast with Alex brightman(beetle juice) and he was talking about theater is like his spirituality, which is a concept I really like. I do find religion interesting, and there’s so much you can talk about with it. Thank you again for your comment.

• doodleninja

re: good to hear! yeah school's going pretty well, the only thing giving me grief is that we have to write this senior thesis paper and i am procrastinatinggggggg XD but hopefully if i keep chugging along, i'll get it all done by the end of the semester :D
    read any good books lately?

• barelybear

I love the characters in this!
    Re: yeahhh um you could call me Ellie haha. O_o 666 dun dun dunnnnnnn. I’m doing good haha. Figured out how to get here on school, faking notes aghshhs

• Ibex

re: first you read it from top to bottom, then from bottom to top. it presents two different messages that way. hope that helps! :)

• Awesome Sienna

Re: :)

• Emma H.

Woah, that is some REALLY good writing! I love the descriptions and details, especially for the characters!

• Awesome Sienna

Re: Mabye the app works differently on the computer. Sorry i can't help.

• Awesome Sienna

Ohhh. I love it Ruth! I really like how you kept going back and forth in time. Keep it up!