Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I’m re-publishing this poem because you have to scroll really far back on my published works page to read a poem. I have been writing portly prose lately!

Lampshades

18
Your persistent algebra tears me from myself. 
After our kiss, my creaking timbers were finally composed. 

I've been waiting for a secret knowing. 

Under the covers, warm and full of light, it came to me:
the sun is real, but in every dew-drop lives a thousand stars. 

We are lampshades, you and I, with arms made to caress,
with tummies and lungs and breath,  

Did you see the moon last night? It was lost behind the clouds, 
behind the hands you held over my eyes. 

• useless :)

this is gorgeous!
    "the sun is real, but in every dew-drop lives a thousand stars."
    that is such an interesting and beautifully phrased description, wow. i also love the ending! :)

also, congrats on 100!!!!! :)))) yay!!! you deserve all of them and more :D

"the sun is real, but in every dew-drop lives a thousand stars"
    "We are lampshades, you and I, with arms made to caress, / with tummies and lungs and breath"
    i love all of the lines in this, wow!! i feel like the beginning is a touch disconnected, but as soon as it gets into that second or third stanza/line it flows better. hmm. but honestly... i'm always astonished at your work!! you're a really really beautiful poet and i admire your writing :)

• tanvinagar

Re-Hi! Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on my previous post. I meant it would be great if you could comment on my work! Thanks a lot for your feedback again.

• tanvinagar

Heyy! I loved this so much. Thank you for sharing this with us. Do consider reading some of my work. I would love to hear from you!! Thank you

• Starlitskies

"the sun is real, but in every dew-drop lives a thousand stars." <3
    Re: Thank you! And yes, couldn't agree with you more about math!

• woven_moth

Re: Ah yes! That makes me so happy, I'm glad you liked them! I totally get what you mean by being so influenced by Kings of Convenience and B&S. I also like music that actually moves me. Like sure, some nice simple pop music is fun! But I certainly prefer music with a lil more depth. I can say Cory Hanson (and many others), have made a huge impact on how I see the world. Music is great at that. If you ever have some good specific song recommendations you want to share, I'm open to listening!

• woven_moth

Re: Nice, you'll have to tell me what you think! I haven't heard of Belle and Sebastian and Kings of Convenience before, but after listening, I can say I am now a fan. It's very raw sounding music, I like it. Awesome piece by the way^ :)

• 4ExtraShotsOfEspresso

What a gorgeous piece ^w^

• nopenopenope

"We are lampshades, you and I, with arms made to caress,
    with tummies and lungs and breath,"

Such a pretty stanza.