Stone of Jade

~ 17 she/her ~
Aspiring writer and artist. Completely awestruck by night skies. Apart of many, many fandoms ;) Reader, journaler, collector.
~ pilot pens and beat-up notebooks ~
one half of the locket
discord LexLuthor#8769

This prompt was perfect for me. It finally gave me motivation to revise and edit a piece I wrote almost a year ago. I wrote this piece as an exercise to personification at school. I morphed it a bit into more of a metaphor-littered concept, which I think is why I love it so much. I posted this awhile ago hoping for reviews.

But this prompt gave me the momentum to sit down and really define the meaning of my piece.

shoutout to Ahsan Nizaam for their review
and to Tula.S for their very insightful and extremely helpful comment
(on the prev posting of The Trinket)

The Trinket

PROMPT: Memory Object

10
I was made from a lump of iron. The heat of fire and the hammering of tools slowly forged me into the shape I am today. My shape is in the eye of the beholder. Some think I am a bird; to others, I am a dragon. No one knows for sure what my purpose is. But to the Collector, I am a prized possession. One of a kind.

There is a small cottage hidden deep in a forest, away from the troubles and worries of the world. In the cottage, I hold a spot on a wooden shelf, rough and course. The Collector carved it himself. From my shelf I can see everything. I take in each golden ray of sun, reflected through the glass window, as it rises each morning. Other trinkets litter the floor, each precariously arranged on various tables and shelves. Then there is the Collector himself. He is a wise old man who takes company only with his trinkets, keeping them clean and shining. His deep voice mumbles away. He hums melodies of tunes long forgotten by the world. He whispers promises, which he never fails to keep. 

The Collector keeps all sorts of objects. Teapots from the Queen of England rest delicately on trays. Jars from the ancient Aztec Empires sit proudly on their shelves. Medals from the great generals of past wars hang in honor on the wall. There are worn books, parchments of writings, and herbs hanging from the ceiling. It is cozy in the cottage. It is safe with the Collector. 

From my little shelf I watch the world spin. I watch as the Collector goes out each day and return with a new treasure. Each thing is more grand and more important than I, but for some reason, he loves me the best. He forged me, made me, created me. I may not seem grand or special to the eyes of the world. But I am His. And that is enough.

• January 28, 2021 - 11:03am (Now Viewing)

I really enjoyed this! The concept, the peaceful feel, the gentle curiosity... And it's funny, I thought the Collector might be a metaphor for God also (like Anne).
    re: thank you! in fact, i saw CL today (he's sort of who the "All the Ways I Ache For You" is written about) and we got to hang out just the two of us (outside, socially distanced, which sucks but it was really nice to be alone together). Well, sort of alone. we walked around our old elementary/middle school since my mom works there and is remodeling her classroom, and he lives nearby.

• ~Zoe N~

re: Oh wow, I didn't think about that, that is ironic :) And thank you!!

• beth r.

ooooh i love this! the wording and overarching metaphor are gorgeous!
    re: aw thank you so much!

Re: Tbh I don't eat fast food enough to be a true connoisseur I'm just a loyal Californian and must defend the glorious thing that is In n Out.
    And thank you!!

• books4life

hi: chapter 15 is out!!!!!!!!!!!!! btw this is soooooo good.

K so I may or may not have seen that you said that McDonalds fries are the best... I've never understood why people think that. Sure they're pretty good if you scarf them down, but if they are in any way not burning hot they turn into rubber. In n Out is far superior, but idk if you live where they have those, so ur excused for that.

Re: Yes I entered a bunch of stuff and that's one of the ones that got a silver key (I also published the other two that got them today). No worries about the memory; I have the same problem.

Re: Heehee I'm glad I caught that lol. In ur teacher's defense, she/he probably read a lot of stories.
    Re: THANK YOU! Lol it's really exciting for me. Here's a link to their website.
    https://www.artandwriting.org

Wow, this is beautiful! The relationship between the Collector and the trinkets reminds me of God's relationship with us. :)

• journal.scribbles

Whoa. This is so good. It drew me into its beautiful descriptions from the very first sentence until the last and just left me feeling so... satisfied? for some reason? It felt like finishing a really good, wholesome novel. And you somehow accomplished that in four paragraphs, what the heck?
    re: lol I'm also a slytherin so sarcasm somehow appears in my comments whether I intend it or not, and then I feel guilty for possibly coming across as sarcastic, and then I'm indecisive about whether to apologize or whether that'd just make it worse. anyways, long story short, thanks for replying so kindly, it reassured me that I was indeed overthinking XD. and thank you so much for your amazing comment about my piece!! that means a lot to me!

• Hope_Snaffle[ChildOfGod]

I love reading metaphorical writing—this is a beautiful piece. I really enjoyed reading this! And thank you for welcoming me to WtW ;)

• deep_breaths

re: arby's curly fries... so good

I love this! The description about the other objects the Collector keeps was very cool. You really put a lot of work into this piece!

• (sk)eyesofocher

this is so mystical sounding... it makes me smile! I love it^^