Caleb Urlacher

i write poetry

you can purchase my book on amazon by searching "winter, again"

second book coming soon

i dare you to review this and to be as honest as abraham lincoln

challenge (read footnotes)

28
Introduction to Me

Some people say I’m too quiet. 
I think I like that.
My neutral state looks kind of depressed,
or so they say.
Silence is my favorite sound,
it hasn’t bothered me once.
I rarely associate with people 
because what if they die.
I’m afraid of death.
It seems to be afraid of me though.
Sometimes I have nightmares.
It’s good that I forgot my dreams.
I take life for granted.
Probably won’t when I die.
They’re taken aback when I talk
about the deep things.
Or when I talk at all.
All they see is the carefree in me.
I don’t blame you,
I like that person too.
But when I’m thinking let me be.
Don’t break me out the trance.
There are things on my mind
more important than what 
your trying to tell me.
The TV’s just trying to sell
me a thing I don’t need.
Mute it please.
I need to think.
I had all my dreams mapped out,
my life was planned out.
How did I get here?
challenge:
publish the first poem you ever wrote.

//

i wrote this one a long time ago.

my grammarly gives it 5/5 sad 5/5 informative

i don't know why i had to inform everybody about these things much less think them about myself in the first place. "They’re taken aback when I talk / about the deep things. / Or when I talk at all." basically summarizes how i borderline romanticized negative things and feelings. i would make a big deal out of the small things. i wouldn't even notice the good small things. 

*coughs* 
yeah i liked nf at the time how could you tell

someone put this over a cinematic beat 

like now

lol

but yeah. at least looking back i feel like i've grown.

• Spade

This is great (both the introduction and the challenge)! I think my first poem is on my profile, but honestly, I have no idea.

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

Love this piece

• beth r.

re: lol i get that- my head shape+my above shoulder hair rn= *sharp inhale*

Re: XD guys are rare on WtW. Guess I'll wait until another one falls into my trap--ahem--I mean looks at that piece.

• Mpm#1

DDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG this is good! I really enjoyed reading this!

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

just tried this; actually, published several written around the same time. this is a really good prompt, so i might keep doing it

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

ok imma do this since i don't have to actually write anything. also, yes. this could and should be a song. i hear it already.

Heh heh, I still listen to NF (only rap I can tolerate). I don't think I can find my first poem...probably threw it out ages ago. Good idea though!

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

This is such a cool idea! Also, this poem is amazing!! I wrote my first poem when I was 6, in my old sparkly diary, and lets just say, I'm tempted to burn it xD

• Rose A(hiatus)

I saw Paisley Blue's so I wanted to come back and see yours. It's pretty good, but danggggggg. But I'm pretty sure most of us went through that phase.

If I can dig something up, I might try this. :)

re: yay! lol i didn't write anything today, i have been entirely unproductive. although i did read the majority of Pride and Prejudice. it's a very good book!

XD

Re: Thank you! <3

and the playlist thing - dude i so get that. im just playing guitar rn but i'm already starting to think, what flavor of poem do i need to write today...
    and of course the music needs to match or else the poem's going down the drain lol. best of luck to you :))

wow that sounds awesome :) simplicity is one of my favorite things, especially when it comes to poetry. i think it's because if you can strip away all the fancy words and metaphors and images, and it's still beautiful, you know you've got a really good poem.

that being said, i'm not all that great at stripping away the unnecessary stuff lol.

ooooh that sounds super cool!!! so excited for youuuuuu :))

actually, here we say it more like "puh-kahn"...

haha nice. but. it is pee-kahn. just saying. :)

hey i just saw your comment on Zinniav's piece and

PECAN IS NOT PEE-CAN

WHAT

NO

re: yeah, i definitely went through that phase but idk, it wasn't just me... well honestly it might have been i have no idea lol. and the music - oh i totally did that too. for me it was playlist after playlist of really sad, slow, depressing music. now, i can't stand to listen to most of it XD

and as for the cycle of a poet thing, i feel like that's pretty accurate but i think at some point you break out of the cycle, to a place where you're not afraid to try new things but your style is pretty solid. you know? idk maybe i'm just rambling lol :P

it was really fun to rewrite that poem lol :)

• Dakota_Lyn (Hiatus- I'll be back :))

I like this. My poetry is bad....Like REALLY BAD my first poem is on my account actually so you could look at that if you want. you dont have to though. but i might review this if i come up with the time.

• beth r.

ok but your comments and message board are a mood
    also- love the nf vibes, and this challenge!
    re: lol thanks! you should still write that piece tho

• journal.scribbles

It's finals week at my school so I'm pretty busy. Hence I shall be procrastinating by reviewing this with Abraham Lincolnian honesty. And perhaps when I'm done with that, I'll do the challenge? Idk, we'll see lol

Wow! This is beautiful, and knowing it's your first poem makes it so much better!

I'll try this prompt, but warning, my first poem is nowhere as good. I wrote it a long time ago though, so I can't blame anyone (I was probably 5)

• EliathRose

Yup... here it is...

• EliathRose

Wow, this is such a strong piece, even if it was written a while ago... Definitely going to give this challenge a go!

i did it :P

• bookmagic

Seriously, this is a pretty awesome poem. A little sad, a little deep, a little relatable, a little bit of everything that makes a poem a poem. Looking at the other things you've written, I feel inspired at how amazing you've become since this one poem. Keep writing your dreams!

• ~madeline~

wow! this is really touching emotionally. it just has such a raw quality. review coming soon. :)

as for reviewing it, i'm not sure i could stand to be cruel XD sorry, you'll have to live without my words of wisdom.

(idk, i'm in a weird mood, sorry lol)

okay i really feel this. two years ago (and more of last year than i'd like to admit) my poetry was. the exact. same. angsty? check. more or less wallowing in my depression? check. terribly uninteresting? check. not... not to call this uninteresting, but... you know ;)

i think i'll do this challenge - maybe, we'll see. i wonder how long it'll stay up before i decide i absolutely hate it and it needs to be gone XD ooooh or maybe i'll do a thing where i rewrite it. hmmmmmmm the possibilities ..... lol i'm sorry.

honestly, though, you've definitely grown. and i think i have too :) what you said about noticing the small good things is very true - a year or two ago, i didn't know how. now? well, i guess i've started to learn :)

this made me smile (well, the poem was depressing but your message in the footnotes/comments made me smile lol) hope you're wonderful!

• Yellow Sweater

Re: Thanks! Haha, I wish I could debate you, but I say pee-can as well. I wonder if it's a regional thing, I am from Washington and we do use short vowls more than other places I think.

I find both coke and Pepsi foul, so I suppose you could debate me on that:)

This sounds like such a fun challenge! I'll be sure to let you know if I do it! Oh gosh I know it is so weird looking back and like you said I feel like I have grown sooo much.
    Ilove how your poem ends with a question tho!

• Caleb Urlacher

i might have to do that psychological thing where you put it on a piece of paper and just burn it

• Caleb Urlacher

now i'm the happiest man alive don't worry.
    also i didn't forget my dreams that was just angsty me. on my way to them rn!

• Caleb Urlacher

pain