Paisley Blue

she/they | 6.2.2020
genderfluid | christian

i told the stars about you

you ask me why i never show you my poetry, even when
i post it on the internet for everyone to see?
the truth is, it's not good enough for you yet.

i want it to be perfect, just for you, dad.

Dad;

24

we're one under the sunrise, where the moon
    hasn't yet fallen away.
you wrap us in the melodies
    of a six-string acoustic, and
the rocks against the waves are smooth to the touch.
    maybe perfection could wait, for now,
and the pine-trees could be our retreat.

once you held me up, high on your shoulders and
    i was safe, there, far above my monsters.
can i be your little girl again? because i don't need saving but
    oh how i desperately want to be saved.
and if you see through my lies i'll pretend not to love you but
    i promise, i'll smile when you say good-night.

i've always loved your laugh and i know
    i always will; there's nothing more comforting than
the smell of burying my head in your shoulder,
    letting you hold me again. has it been too long, have you
forgotten your baby girl? and you tell me never,
    but i hear somewhere - 
and i search for you there (over the rainbow).

so here i am, letting the sunrise brush my skin, teaching
    my fingers to glide over the strings
of a six-string acoustic. sitting under the pine trees;
    they are clumsy but full of love,
as i follow your lead and release everything into a song.
    and my voice soars into the sky like an eagle;
it sounds like an echo. so i pour
    the truths i hold into a lullaby;
and truly,

i think to myself
        what a wonderful world.

"What a Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong

written for my dad :) love you to the moon and back, times a gajillion. <3

• Abrianna

This is most likely the sweetest thing I've read on wtw. It's so touchingly sweet, beautiful and comforting. And it is sad as well, I've wished a million times that I could be a little girl again and have my dad hold me.
    You always do an incredible job! I love how personable this piece is.<33

• journal.scribbles

Wow this is incredible. If I had to pinpoint a favorite part, it'd be this one *gestures wildly at the whole poem*

• xx carolina xx

re: thEre'S nO cryiNg in mY houSe -

• Busssy.Beee

re: master of potatoes! hehe, i just sprinkled some on my head. i can feel the powder melting my head and brain into mashed potatoes. now, i really can't think haha. and junior year does seem so so far away. maybe by that time, everything is easier lol.
    also, my school is all online so i'm supposed to be doing online classwork rn. but, i'm here doing wtw instead :D do you ever wonder off in class?

this
    lovely
    such a wonderful representation of your dad
    i loved how you said "six-string acoustic" instead of guitar
    the song just sets a perfect tone
    your username made me laugh, rose willard is amazing

• Caleb Urlacher

iiiiiiii
    cries
    your dad must be awesome xd
    dad/kid relationships are always great

wow wow wow this piece is so simple but not,and its just so so beaitiful and sweet and heartfelt.and i can feel the emotion and its everything.you paint the picture so delicately and genuinely.your love shines through
    i love this piece so so much.it feels so personal ahh
    i hope he sees it soon.

paisley patato?!....i really like paisley patato
    l

• Busssy.Beee

re: XDDDDD omc, you must have very very strong potato-transforming power. i would love some too haha. woah and rose is a junior :O im not even in high school so she's a lot older than us OoO that' mind-blowing *explodes* let's hope our junior years aren't too bad!

• Busssy.Beee

re: ooh, i am very very similar. i tend to wake up early, but staying up late is no problem, until breaking point. but, yes! sleep just feels unproductive and pointless, besides for that fact that we need it. one of my friend's cousin though, she never really slept in her bed for like a week. she like took naps, but never really truly slept, yet she was perfectly fine lol. so strange... xD
    and your username has me rolling on the ground haha. potato? fried potatoes are good but boiled potatoes are not the best. oh and mash potatoes are good, only with sauce though. shredded potatoes are really delicious in some Asian cuisine. seasoned potatoes are really good if there's enough salt. okay, okay enough potato talk. sorry for the weird talk lol, there's just so many ways to cook potatoes. :P

oh wow. oh wowowow. the way you like threaded the song and the meaning of it through this poem is amazing and really i can't choose a favorite part... the first stanza and last stanza feel like choruses and the in-between are the short verses. this is beautiful and nostalgic and lovely and full of emotion. awww you should show your dad... maybe not this poem because i totally get how your writing can be private and all but tell him you love him. your love for him was made clear through your poem and i can feel it, a throbbing smiling lovely mess of love. (i don't even know what i wrote but just go with it because i am blinded by this poem)............ was wondering though is that song special to you and your dad? do you sing it together? play it together? it's nice to have a song that's yours and i think it dementrates and represents your relationship with your dad perfectly. alright my thoughts are all over the place buttttt!

re: ur comment made my day yesterday and my day today when i read it again! thank you for your praise because i cannot tell you how much i look up to you!!!!! also to quote the great paisley blue potato (wonderful name, bravo, thank you rose williard (izzy right?) for doing us that favor) "I LOVE YOUR POETRY and YOU'RE AMAZING and I HOPE YOU'RE GREAT and LOVE YOU!!! :D" same thing right back atcha!
    <3<3<3

• Rose A(hiatus)

This *sobs* is *sobs* so sweet. It is so wonderful!! I hope you'll be able to show this to him one day!

btw, your new username is great. :)

Re: Okay I really hope you show it to him soon.
    And your username... *dies laughing*

• xx carolina xx

RE: pfft- your bioooo-

• xx carolina xx

RE: YAY MY WORK HERE IS DONE

• xx carolina xx

RE: POTATO BLUE LOL

• xx carolina xx

RE: ikr i'm like screeching at Marco right now bcs he turned down Minerva, but then i was like "oH waiT i wRote thiS."

• dee’s abditory

dude. dUDE. DUDE. (chanting begins from all around us) show him show him show him (chanting gets steadily louder) show him shOW HIM SHOW HIM SHOW HIM (chanting turns to screams as anarchy breaks loose) SHOW HIM SHOW HIM SHOW IM SHOW HIM (anarchists scream the beauty of this piece into the abyss of chaos) SHOW HIM SHOW HIM SHOW HIM SHOW HIM SH

I'm in like the exact same situation as Dmoral ack hormones stop making me cryyyy. But honestly it does feel right because this is gorgeous I'm in love. I'm glad I waited to read it until I could focus on it a little better. Are you gonna show him this one (or did you already)? I understand if you don't want to but I think it'd go really well.

• Busssy.Beee

re: oh phew! you were actually able to read my comment. i stayed up way past my normal bedtime, so i was uhm, not really focusing well xD i tend to stop functioning after a while so yeah. speaking of night, are you a morning person or night person? <3

• sci-Fi

this is beautiful paisley. really beautiful.
    i don't think i can say anything else.

• beth r.

first of all, one of the most beautiful songs ever.
    "once you held me up, high on your shoulders and
    i was safe, there, far above my monsters."
    this brings back all sorts of memories- i used to make my dad check under my bed before I went to sleep lol. what a gorgeous piece! your dad must be so proud of you

• Busssy.Beee

oh gosh, Paisley Blue!! why is my heart hurting so much from this perfection, this purity? ahh, i am going insane over this haha. anyhow, you write so flawlessly, i really don't have words. i would love to cite lines, but that wouldn't be too accurate, after all each line in this is sublime. anyway, i felt the urge to write about these two things so here goes:
    " my fingers to glide over the strings / of a six-string acoustic. sitting under the pine trees; / they are clumsy but full of love, / as i follow your lead and release everything into a song. / and my voice soars into the sky like an eagle;" the continuation of the guitar, makes it seem as if time has flown by. it feels as if you whirled me so much forward in time, yet you brought me here in such a smooth manner. your transitions and reminding, feel so warm and cozy.
    "once you held me up, high on your shoulders and / i was safe, there, far above my monsters. / can i be your little girl again? because i don't need saving but / oh how i desperately want to be saved." your tone, your tone, your tone, ah! goodness, how do you switch to a sweet, innocent tone. You switch so easily from being young to mature. and gosh, it was so so smooth and easy, as if nothing changed at all. truly talented!!!
    sorry for this messy comment. my brain is malfunctioning due to excessive activity at once. multi-tasking isn't really my friend, so i apologize if this is not understandable. nonetheless, i hope you know that i really, really, really enjoyed reading this!!
    re: ughhh, sorry for my late late late reply haha. i really suck at replying, but uhm yeah. thank you so so much for your comment, i read it and was literally melted by your words. even your comments are so well-written lol. anyway, if I'm a true artist, then you are a refined master of your craft. i wish to be able to learn under your wing forever. i love you so much more! <33

• Yellow Sweater

This is exquisite, impeccable, publishable. That first stanza was honestly one of the best things I have read on here. So lovely.

• lochnessie

this made me cry
    full on sobbing cry
    and it's a LOVELY POEM you wrote for your DAD what is WRONG WITH ME
    and also thank you yeah um that and hi

• Dmoral

i don't know if it's the piece, my period, the footnotes, the relatability, or this frustration i'm having rn with someone--honestly, it's probably all of it, but regardless, "they are clumsy but full of love, / as i follow your lead and release everything into a song." set me off the edge and i'm crying and honestly, crying right now feels right. i need this & i absolultely bloody love my dad too