SunV

est. 11/10/19

history has its eyes on you.

Comment if you want a specific person, or if you want a whole other person as the main focus!! These are super fun to write :)

To Lily Potter (More POV's!!!!!)

Lily Evans was perhaps the most intriguing person he had ever met. That wasn't much, seeing as he didn't go around making friends, but something was different about her. Living in a Muggle suburb, he didn't meet any magical children, and he knew Lily's family were Muggles, but he could feel it– he knew Lily was magic. And that was only confirmed when he saw her fly (fly!) off the swing in the park. He was nine, and he couldn't perform that kind of magic. Lily was tiny– he suspected she was about seven– and she was already able to control her magic! 

Her sister, on the other hand, was the most annoying girl he ever met. He saw her get the newspaper every morning, when he went to get it too. She never smiled, and he even saw her snarl at Emily, the girl who lived down the street from him every morning. Now, Severus didn't think of him as a friendly person, but he wasn't downright mean!

So when Lily received her letter for Hogwarts, (she knew she was getting it, Severus had told her) Petunia acting out wasn't surprising. But Lily was too happy to care. They went to the station together, and they sat in the same carriage. Everything was going fine. Until Black and Potter walked in. That was when he knew Lily wouldn't forever be his friend.

------------

Sirius hated his family. He didn't fit in, and his family knew it. His brother, Regulus, hadn't even started Hogwarts, and already had his own wand, while he was stuck using Bellatrix's old one– she got a new one for her sixteenth birthday, because she had passed her OWL's at the top of her class. 

When he met James Potter, he knew they would be best friends. What he was afraid of was James not liking him when he found out he was a Black. So he refrained from saying anything until they found a half-empty compartment.

But when they entered the compartment, James paid no heed to him. His eyes were on the girl with bright red hair, who later introduced herself as Lily Evans.

------------

Remus Lupin knew he would have nightmares that night, it was the first time he was away from his parents. So, he sneaked down to the common room after dark to sleep, so that he wouldn't disturb the others. He knew the Black's and the Potter's. They were both powerful families, and on opposite sides of the war. Not that he knew much about the war. 

He liked Pettigrew. Peter didn't speak much, much like him, but he was quite funny. But Peter never came up to him, and Remus being Remus, never went up to him either.

Remus made himself comfortable on the sofa, and slowly drifted off to sleep. He was only awoken when he heard a girl shriek into his ears. 

"Ahh!"

He blearily looked around the room, to see a girl wearing a deep green nightgown with her hair tied into two braids by her shoulders, "What are you doing up?"

"Why are you sleeping down here?"

"I asked first."

The girl sighed, "I couldn't sleep. I've never been away from Tunie for so long. Even if she hates me.... We never slept apart."

Remus tried to place this girl in his head. He knew she as a first year, like him. Why else would she be homesick? And she had to be Gryffindor. That only narrowed it down to a few people. She wasn't Mckinnon, she had short hair. Dorcas was blonde, so he would be able to see her hair clearly. There was another girl– Maria? Mimi? Mary! But Mary had glasses. Which only left Alice and Lily. Both of them had dark hair, but Alice's was in a pixie cut. So it had to be Lily.

"Why does..."

"Petunia. My sister."

"Why does she hate you?"

"She isn't magical. My whole family are Muggles, I'm the only Witch. Mum and Dad were proud, but Tunie hates it." she gave a long pause, "Why are you here?"

"I had a nightmare." Remus lied. He hadn't had a nightmare, he knew he was going to have one, "I didn't want to disturb the other boys."

"Oh."

They sat in companionable silence for a while, and then Lily turned to face him, "I'm Lily by the way. Lily Evans."

"I know. I'm Remus Lupin."

And from then, Remus knew he would have a friend in school, no matter what.

------------

Minerva McGonagall had seen talented Muggleborns over the years, but never had she come across someone who matched Lily Evans. Top of the class within the first term, and popular amongst not just her house but the other houses too, Lily reminded Minerva a lot of her younger self. Sure, she had to compete with a few other people in her year, Mr. Snape in potions, Mr. Lupin in DADA, Mr. Potter in transfiguration, but she managed to do it, and get top marks in all her other subjects too.

As head of Gryffindor house, Minerva supposed it was only normal she thought of the Gryffindors as her family, but she couldn't help but hold a special fondness towards Lily. A few of the upper class Slytherin's bullied her, but she stood up to them, whether it was because Severus, another Slytherin, was her best friend, or because she was a spitfire, Minerva had no clue. What she did know was that Lily Evans would go on to become a very powerful witch.

------------

James Potter lost count of the number of good days he had in his life, but his top two would have to include his wedding day. 

Knowing James, people would assume he and Lily wed in a large garden with extravagant decorations and a huge crowd. But circumstances proved unfavourable, and instead the wedding was held in the basement of the Order safe house, with Dumbledore officiating, Sirius as best man, Marlene as maid of honour, and Remus, Peter, Minerva and Alice as witnesses.

Truth to be told, they would have put the wedding off till after the war, but they couldn't wait. Not when Lily had told James there was a baby on the way. Instead, they transfigured (one of James' many talents) two ugly looking spoons into rings, and dressed in their best robes (which weren't very good considering they hadn't bought new robes since they finished school) available. The wedding was over in less than an hour.

But that doesn't mean James loved it any less. No, in fact, that made it all the more special.

Of course, after the wedding, they had a mission, spying on the Lestranges, which, might seem like a dreadful task, but James was newlywed! Nothing seemed that bad at the moment.

Lily didn't come along (for reasons mentioned prior) for the mission, instead, it was him and Pettigrew on the mission.

So, when the mission turned into a fully blown battle, the only thought in his mind remained that Lily wasn't called to help fight.

------------

When Sirius saw Harry for the first time, he was dog. Not much can be seen as a dog. When they met in the shrieking shack, he was agitated to a point where he could see only red. He still didn't notice something that would have brought him to tears.

It was only when Harry came to Grimmauld Place did Sirius actually see his eyes. They were Lily's eyes. He didn't remember much of the years before Azkaban. Did Harry have green eyes as a baby too?

------------

When Harry told Remus about the woman screaming on the train, he was perplexed. Dementors made you relive your worst memory, and for Harry, that would probably have been– no. 

Lily's scream.

Remus had only heard Lily scream, not shout, scream, a handful of times. When James had been briefly captured, when Harry had been born, and the night in the common room after Severus called her a mudblood. But a scream, no matter whose, it chilling. 

And to think that Harry's only memory of his parents voices were screams, that was unimaginable.

------------

Many knew of Lily Potter. Many applauded her bravery, before and after both wars– the first and second. But few knew Lily Evans, the feisty, short-tempered, outdoorsy girl who took down Bellatrix Lestrange at 19, the girl who had slapped James after he was captured, for being so stupid and bigheaded that he had to be the hero.

Only one person knew the Muggle Lily Evans, who would make flowers bloom, who would jump off swings and land on the other side of the stream. 

But no matter who they knew, Lily Potter, Lily Evans, or Muggle Lily Evans, there came not one person who wasn't in awe of her charm and raw talent.

Not one person.

------------

Petunia Evans was not a likeable girl, and she knew that. She didn't care much though, for she had Lily. Her younger sister, who she loved, and she knew loved her back. Why did she have to make other friends?

It all came crashing down for her when that Snape boy showed up and told Lily she was a witch. Hah! Like magic was real. But Lily chose to believe Snape, and started jumping from swings and making flowers bloom. And Petunia hated it. She hated Snape, she hated magic and she hated Lily.

So it was no surprise to anyone when she locked herself in her room the moment she saw a woman in a pointy hat enter the house and usher her mum and dad into the living room.

It was also no surprise when she refused to run into the wall to get to the platform. She had no desire to see Lily off to a school where she couldn't go. She had written to the headmaster, who had oh so kindly told her she wasn't magic. But it wasn't possible! Lily and her shared the same blood.

When Lily's first letter came, only a day after she left, Petunia threw it in the trash immediately. She gave the chocolate frog to her friend (but not really) at school.

When she heard of the war from her mum and dad, she sent Lily a letter, begging her to come back to the normal world, and not take part in a war with a bunch of freaks. She sent a vase along with it, it was Christmas after all. But Lily simply replied saying that she was in too deep and that she loved the vase.

When Lily went and blew herself up, and Harry was dropped on her doorstep, she tried her best to hate the boy. But she couldn't. Lily was her sister after all, and she was dead. She hated Harry, for being magic and going to that-- that school, but she couldn't help but care for him, the last piece of Lily left on Earth.

------------

Bellatrix loved being a part of the death eaters. She was the only warrior woman (all the others were trophy wives) and she enjoyed it. Killing people gave her such pleasure.

When she first came across the Potters and their friends, she expected nothing. They were children, barely out of Hogwarts. How good could they be?

She had been in her seventh year when they entered their first year, and she had seen their power. They were talented, sure, but had no idea how to duel. Hah. She could defeat them in her sleep.

So imagine her surprise when the mudblood, Evans, was able to keep her from killing anyone long enough for Dumbledore to arrive? Of course, whenever Dumbledore arrives, Voldemort retreats. Bellatrix wonders if Voldemort's scared of Dumbledore, or wants to play safe. She thinks the former. They don't play safe.

------------

Peter had always been quiet. He lived with only his mother, and he didn't have any friends growing up. So he was used to being quiet.

When he was partnered up with Evans in Charms, he, unable to put a word in edgewise when she kept talking about how she was fascinated with anything and everything, he learnt quite a bit about having friends. 

After class, they went down to lunch together. Lily had made a few friends, but the girls in her dormitory had gone ahead when they had stayed back to ask professor Flitwick more about their project. And Peter had talked to James and Sirius, but they hit it off, and he felt left out.

Remus joined them on the way, and he and Lily talked about their next class, potions. He found out that Remus wasn't particularly fond of potions, because of reasons he did not know, but he made a mental note not the partner up with him during the class.

He felt like he belonged.

------------

Dumbledore had never formally met Lily you see. She had been handpicked by Minerva to join the Order, but the Order was something he tried to keep his distance from, so that he wasn't seen as the enemy to the Wizarding population. He attended meetings, obviously, but he didn't stay for the dinners or attend the parties. Only his birthdays, when James had put up a party. They had just lost Marlene, and everyone needed a reason to celebrate.

When Trelawney had given the prophecy, he still wasn't aware of the fact that Lily was pregnant at the time. In fact, he wasn't sure Lily knew it herself, because when he went looking around for boys due at July, the closest he could find was Neville Longbottom. So it was a great surprise when Snape came to him and told him that Voldemort was attacking the Potters. He was quite angry at himself too, because Voldemort had found out Lily was expecting before he had. Which was when he started suspecting that the spy was one of the Potters close friends.

Sirius had the background, and Remus had the motive. So years later, when he found out it was Peter, he was, needless to say, shocked. Peter, who was so innocent. Peter wasn't sent out for battle's either, he worked as a stalker, watching Death Eater meetings. He didn't realise Peter even knew how to duel!

When he went to tell the Potters the news, he already had Godric's Hollow prepped. James had opened the door, with a look of surprise on his face that soon turned solemn. Dumbledore did not make casual visits.

He led Dumbledore into the living room, where Lily was pouring over a book he suspected to be full of baby names. He greeted her with a smile but wasted no time to get to the point.

------------

Tonks was excited. Sirius had come a few weeks earlier to their house and asked her if she wanted to be the flower girl for a wedding. And although she wasn't looking forward to putting on a dress and flowers in her hair, it was a big change from her house, where she stayed every day. Mum said that they were playing hide and seek from someone, but she heard the sobs and screams at night. 

When they stepped into the small church, she couldn't stop looking around at the magnificent decorations. Tonks wasn't in any way girly, but it was a huge contrast to the tiny cottage she'd been living in for the past years.

Her mouth dropped open when they stepped into the side room and she saw the lady with red hair in front of her. She was wearing a deep green robe and had her hair in a plait down her side. She was tugging at something on her side, and Tonks' mum went to help.

Tonks walked forward only to trip on her dress, and it was then the woman saw her, on the floor, probably with a scabbed knee. That didn't matter, mum would patch her up later. In fact, she could probably patch herself up, the number of times she's fallen down.

"Hi there. What's your name?" the redhead asked

"You don't want to know." Tonks replied.

"Oh, but I do."

"Well, it's Nymphadora" Tonks saw a slight smile form on her face before she smoothed her dress down again, perhaps to make a show for Mum. She went on quickly, "But I won't respond if you call me that. I'm Tonks." She could hear mum make a disapproving noise, but she paid no heed to her.

"Well Tonks, it's nice to meet you. I hear your the flower girl?"

"Yes, I am. Who are you?"

"Well, I'm the bride."

Tonks felt her cheeks go pink and her hair turn red, but she morphed it away. "Oh." She stared up at the redhead, "What's your name then?"

"I'm Lily."

Tonks let out a squeal of indignation at her mum, "Why wasn't my name Lily, or Rose, or even Alicia!?"

But Andromeda was busy finding the flowers in the room, and Tonks had no more time to talk to Lily. Sirius poked his head in a second later, "They're ready for you."

It was only then that Tonks saw the others in the room. There was another girl with light brown hair, dressed in a pale blue robe. Andromeda had worn the same robes and come too, so Tonks guessed they were bridesmaids.

Another woman with straight black hair was wearing black robes, which made it look like her robes were part of her hair. Tonks couldn't figure out who she was.

She stepped out into the hallway, she was first in line after all. Stepping down the aisle, something she had perfected in the last months, she looked ahead. A man with round glasses and messy hair (didn't he comb his hair before the wedding?) was standing on the other end, two other men beside him. One of them was Sirius, and the other one short with light blonde hair.

Dumbledore-- who she hadn't ever spoke to-- was standing at the centre, holding a book of sorts in his hand.

After she crossed the aisle, she sat on the seat she was told to sit on, and watched the rest of the proceedings.

After her came her Mum and the other woman in pale blue. They stood opposite to the men, and turned around. The woman in black robes came after that, and then everyone stood up.

Lily stood hand-in-hand with a tall man with sandy brown hair, and they crossed the length of the aisle. Lily looked radiant, and so did the man with glasses-- she later found out his name was James-- in fact, he looked like he was on top of the world.

The ceremony was short, and before she knew it, Tonks found herself in the small room, taking off her dress and changing into plain robes. 

"Well Tonks, I hope we see each other again." Lily waved goodbye as she left. Little did Tonks know Lily Potter and her would never cross paths again.
*I do not own Harry Potter, or anything related to it. I also strongly go against JK Rowlings comments.

So.... It's Lily Potter's 61st birthday today (Happy Birthday to Lily Potter!) and I thought I'd write this as a toast.

Lily's always been one of my favourite characters, and because she's dead before the series starts, so much about her is unknown, left to us readers to imagine. But, even with that, we know that she had a good heart, and loved her son more than she loved herself.

I hope you enjoy reading my tiny Fanfiction about Lily Potter!

Note 21/02/2021: I updated this with some other people in it (Bellatrix, Petunia, Dumbledore, Peter and Tonks) because so many people wanted it!!! I'll probably add more characters later (Voldemort is on top of the list)

Also, some headcanons of mine I've used (Mainly for the Tonks' scene, because that's all from my head):

--> Remus and Lily were really good friends (At least for the first few years)
--> Lily was short
--> Tonks had been the flower girl for the Potter's wedding 
--> Dumbledore never took part in any Order gatherings but meetings because the OOTP was seen as a bad influence in the first wizarding war. He wanted to maintain his image.
--> Andromeda and her family were in hiding because a) Ted was Muggleborn and b) Andromeda betrayed her family
--> Because of the isolation, the Potters had a small wedding with friends and family. They didn't get to practice together, which is why Lily and Tonks never met till then
--> Remus handed Lily to James at the altar
--> Sirius, Remus and Peter were best men
--> Alice and Andromeda were bridesmaids
--> Marlene was maid of honour
--> I really don't know who was the ring bearer.

There are more in there, but these are what I can remember off the top of my head (I'll put them in the message box if I do catch any.

Note: I am in no way very familiar with American marriages. I have attended Indian wedding receptions only, and that's where it stops. Please let me know if there are any inaccuracies in the tezt.

• nolongeractive

This is so great; my new song called 'the farm' is out now if you wanna check it out!

• journal.scribbles

Ima try again without the quote, here goes nothing:

You're gonna make me cry. That sentence is so poignant and heartbreaking. Wow, you're such a talented writer! I love this whole piece!

I'm so sorry about clogging up your notifications box!!

• journal.scribbles

This is really weird, it's still not posting my whole comment. I'll try later lol

• journal.scribbles

That was weird, it didn't post my whole comment. Huh. Here's what I tried to type lol:

"And to think that Harry's only memory of his parents voices were screams, that was unimaginable."

• journal.scribbles

• Toikupu~estVehementChirography

Replying: Exactly, you have us!

• Jason_claire :)

Wow, I really like the additions, and it's amazing to get a glimpse at a wedding of sorts for Lily and James. I love the new characters, and it's always fun to get a look into other character's heads. The wedding was wonderfully written, and as far as I know, it was pretty much the same (although I haven't been to a wedding before, sooo)
    replying- Aw, that's too bad, thank you for reading though!

• Coolgirl2020 (LOVE YA ALL)

Super cool! Can't wait to read more! XD

• beth r.

tonks being the flower girl for the potters is what I need in my life rn

• anemoia by a thread

YES I STAN LILY AND REMUS BEING FRIENDS.
    also i love the additions!
    re: ahh gossamer! lovely. i'm excited to see all your words!

• BriRiley

I'm in love with this piece! You did such a good job! XD

• SamRose

I love this SOOO much! Good job! It takes awhile to read, but it is worth it!

• alwayswriting

I love this! I didn't even know it would be Lily's birthday today, but this is lovely! I like how you included other characters this time, I especially liked Bellatrix' perspective. I'm excited if you do decide to write from Voldemort's perspective, it would be very interesting!

• Parisienne

oooh I love the friendship between Lily and Remus - sooo perfect! Thanks for letting me know you'd done this
    re: aw thanks glad you liked it :)