Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

Expansion

13
I caressed the sun last night, stroking skin and stars.

To intimately feel the darkness, is to see the light. 

I dug through wet dirt, searching for new forms of blasphemy.

Let me dissipate, let me become holier than thou.

Kierkegaard once said that we are great in proportion to what we love.

I love the moon as it swallows the night sky.

I love balloons as they burst, and tears as they fall. 

I love the God I have colonized.
Kierkegaard quote paraphrased from "Fear and Trembling". 

Wow- another amazing piece! I swear I become smarter with every piece of yours I read! If you don't become some Man Booker Prize winner or philosopher- I don't know who will! "To intimately feel the darkness, is to see the light. " was just WOW! RE: Yes!! It’s beautiful! I will definitely let you know specifically what poems of his I like once I get the collection and can read the full poems! And omg that’s so cool!! So you’ve probably grown up with reading literature and poems and things like that! I’ve always loved reading but my parents have never been more into literature than the “classics”. But now, thanks to all your recommendations (which btw, you must be crazy smart) I really hope to broaden my mindset! And haha, no don’t worry- I totally get what you mean! It’s really awesome that he did so much that he was assassinated. Terrible that he was assassinated but it really shows his achievements.

Re: Thanks for the review and for educating me :)

Re: Thank you! As a Christian, I do believe that Jesus is the only God, so I'd hope you'd be open to discovering that for yourself, but I can't make you. I can tell you more "proof" I have (based on my actual experiences, not just some fancy professor or something) of that, but only if you're interested. I have to admit that I have no idea who Camus and Nietzsche are. Feel free to review my piece; you can still critique it from a technical standpoint if not a Christian one.

• Charisse Marison

Woah. That was absolutely gorgeous. So beautiful! Gave me goosebumps <3

• Rose A

This is so wonderful! I've loved a lot of your stuff so far, so I think I'll follow you.

This is thrilling to read!! It sounds like fingerpicking on a guitar, late late late at night. I love it so much :)

• nopenopenope

re: Here's my (rosewalled2003@gmail.com) so we can talk about it in a way that wouldn't cause a ton of spam in the comments. Email me when you have a chance
    P.S. I think a lot of people know my real name and stuff, but since I'm not comfortable putting it online anymore, my pseudonym that I registered that email with is "Rose Willard"

• nopenopenope

Dude, you're an even better poet.
    Actually, I was gonna ask if you wanted to collaborate on something? Like a collection of poems? Of course, this is only an offer ;)