Paisley Blue

they/them | 6.2.2020
genderfluid | christian

the sound of rain

"do you think there is anywhere, in any language,
a word billowing enough
for the pleasure

that fills you,
as the sun
reaches out,
as it warms you" - Mary Oliver

Sol

22

i.
she tiptoes down, her fingers spreading
across the dreaming world. the sky blushes at her whimsy.
in silence she dances across rooftops; she leaves
a brilliant flaxen trail. shadows are thrust
against the pale yellow light; softly, softly.
her delicate steps dance over the clouds as she climbs,
        climbs,
                climbs! to the highest of heights.

ii.
as the world rises, she sinks slowly into place;
gliding above the clouds, she lifts her face and
laughs toward the stars high above her.
she chases the chill away, and drapes over the horizon
ribbons, streams, rivers of warmth.
a bubbling merriment flows from her hem
and reaches to the ends of the earth; the silence has broken
and birdsong has taken its place.

iii
and she matures, deepens; illuminating the dust and
bringing to the world a light unlike any other.
the sky weeps with joy and the shadows give way
as she smiles and infuses the air with delight.
the moon bows to her, in the midday-blue sky,
and she takes his hand, whirling the unseen
into a display of light.

iv.
she lets go, sending sparks of peaches and pinks
they mix with the darkening sky. it’s a curtain call
for anyone who remains - she fades with a smile on her face.
the moon lifts her train, ascends to her place.
she bursts into fragmented flares of fire - purples, oranges,
streaked across the sky; a love letter to the night.
and thus, she says goodbye.

Sol - the Roman name for the sun

• January 25, 2021 - 11:45am (Now Viewing)

• Wisp

Replying: Well all your pieces are stunning so I have no idea what you're talking about, but you should most definitely be proud of it!!
    Yeah, you come here to write, but stay for the community. That's the greatness of WtW and why it matters so much to all of us. Aww, we miss you over here too!! Counting down the days until Easter just so that I can see you back on the dashboard!
    Of course hon!! You're a stunning writer, and I'm not just saying it to be nice, I know you have talent. I understand how difficult it is not to compare yourself with others, I do it myself as well, though not as much recently. There's no definition on what makes up our idea of "good enough," but I do hope that one day you'll be able to bare your soul without worrying about perfection or whether it's good enough or not. May they treat us well indeed.
    Aw that's such a sweet inability, that sounds like an insult but I promise it's not. Like it's sweet that you're a peacemaker who can't hold arguments, something like that. Hope that came out better than I thought it did, I PROMISE it's a compliment dear. I haven't seen them around at all so I think it's good, and I haven't gotten any self-promotion comments either so hopefully that whole thing calmed down and whatnot. And yeah! Our community is definitely a sweet and caring one!
    Aww sweetie!! That's so lovely of you! If you were a glitter you'd be those silver looking ones that actually have all the colors of the rainbow there and come in different shapes as well since you are so kind in so many ways! And you make any day infinitely better :))
    My love goes out to you my dearest constant! I hope your week has gone well and when you get here on Sunday: Good morning/day! You're wonderfully brilliant and I hope you know that my dear!

• Wisp

Okay, that was a brilliant use of punctuation. That all-of-a-sudden exclamation mark just added this whole trill of excitement and joy to the piece and gosh I am just in love with it. The vibes from this piece are just so cozy and soft and sweet, like all of it is just dazzling and mesmerizing all at once. Your personification of the sun is just transcending, it's such a wonder honestly. This is such a bubbly piece with a calm serenity surrounding it at the same time, it feels like when we're young and play outside all day until we're tired out. It's such a joyful feeling and innocent, like springtime and bumblebees. Such a beautiful piece!
    Replying: OH MY GOSH PAISLEY!!! Seeing your name in my notifications brightened up my Sunday so very much!! Honestly, I think you coming back on Sundays is what's going to make them feel simply magical now. Even if you've broken it a couple of times, you should still be proud of yourself! WtW means a lot you know? And you giving that up for lent simply deserves applause, since it's not just giving up a temptation, it's like giving up a part of yourself, a part of your life you know?
    Haha, you're way too sweet, giving me all these compliments is going to make me have such a full heart dear.
    You shouldn't say that Paisley darling, because you are one of those brilliant writers. Your writing is true and raw and emotional and it shows what you're feeling, and that is simply all you want in writing, to show what you're feeling. I know it's hard to not compare yourself. I mean, we put our heart and soul into our work, and something like that, we can't help but hold it in high regard and compare it to others, because it's our soul embodied in words. I'm not sure that feeling will ever go away, but with time and love, I'm positive it will become less apparent. You are a wonder of words hon, and don't you ever forget that.
    Yeah, there's been some issues with self-promotion and all here. Honestly, it's better that you weren't involved, because it's a headache haha. Anyways, a couple of writers and I confronted them about it, and I haven't seen them on after that, but I've only had an encounter with one such writers so I'm not sure if there's more or not. Hopefully these things will go away with time, it's a tad disheartening to see our community become this way, but there's enough people here who don't think in that way, that I think our community will overcome it.
    Aww that's so wholesome!! Small world indeed! Sometimes I wonder if there are people on here who I know and we've just been interacting without knowing, it's kinda bizarre if you think about it. But that's so cool that you two had WtW in common, it's like welcoming a friend you didn't even know you had haha.
    No, no don't be sorry!! It feels comfortable these conversations you know? I enjoy them a lot, and even when you go off tangent, it's always so sweet to just converse. A week is a long time! But I guess that's how you begin to treasure WtW more? Or at least realize how much you cherish it and all. That is a little sad, but I'll be here to welcome you back every Sunday! You make these mundane days feel so much more magical hon!
    Sending my love my constant! Hope your week is beyond magical and you enjoy your days exponentially! See you next Sunday my dearest!

Re: Haha okay I'll embrace both identities simultaneously and confuse everyone

• Caleb Urlacher

the ice lolly one

• Caleb Urlacher

yea i get that. i'm basically self-taught lol

also the magazine came out
    i think they took down my post bout it

Re: Oh I'm so glad you know exactly what I meant! I think sometimes it's harder to write simple things. Because the flashy stuff can be faked through thesaurus and mimicry, but if you can make the simple lines pack that kind of power... that's another kind of artistry that relies completely on your narrative/poetic voice. Not that I don't love writing and reading fancy, intricate work, because I do, but there's a place for both.
    Sheesh I feel like I wrote that like a wise sage who knows the things but I'm actually just an emotional teenage wreck XD.

re: it's devotions that i put on hold and if i really like it i'll buy a copy. yeah, that'd be cool if we were reading the same one! that's also interesting how walt whitman inspired her. it does make sense like marveling at the wonder of the world and questioning what's important in the grand scheme of things. and you named her jo! that's so great! oh my, i've read the book only once but i've watched the movie three times and i cry so much near the second half with beth and laurie and jo and oh my gosh i love it so much. yeah there's something about creativity flowing more when you're off the screen, writing in a notebook or on a typewriter... for me it's kind of hard to pull myself away from the computer which is not good. i do get a journal though where like i''ll write my thoughts but then also draft some poems. i'm not afraid of messing up in there either like i am writing on google docs which is kind of ironic because i can't erase pen but i can delete on the computer. that's great that you do some writing outside of wtw to... it's important to keep some things private or like your own if you know what i mean. if you ever decide to type them though, i'm all ears! and as for Virginia Woolf... i've only read one of her books but i';m told mrs.dalloway is a good place to start and also to the lighthouse. then the waves i guess because it's more experimental and free-flowing without any real structure. thank you!!!!! oh wow i hadn't even realized it was 197 already! gotta start working on a 200 thank you thing haha!
    <3<3<3

• Caleb Urlacher

yeah i get you lol, i don't really have those instincts either. take your time on that manuscript for sure. i thought i was ready to publish when i was 14 but then re-did like 30 poems lol. it was a good decision.

oh cool! the electronic part of it is honestly easy you just sit down and click a couple of things and then move a couple things and turn a couple things then volia, music.

lol i could go on and on about music too

Re: <3

this is incredible! the imagery is astounding as always and i love how you personify the sun! really beautiful and fills me with joy! listening to both life and daughter by sal just adds so much. ahhhh and the mary oliver quote in your message board is great! i've put a volume of her work on hold at the library so i can't wait to read that when it comes in.

re: "its like, i have all these ideas but when i go to type them up they just fall flat." yep yep yep that's exactly what it's like... and woah! you have a typewriter?! that's awesome! my family has one too, but it just sits in the living room and it's broken.... i've been pestering my parents to get it fixed but it hasn't happened yet. that;'s like one of my aspirations, to type on a typewriter! i love the sound and the typewriter font and the aesthetics and everything about it. maybe i'll feel like a real writer finally. and as i've gotten more into the waves i really think you'll love it. you have the same aptitude for describing seemingly normal moments and turning them into divine happenings as Virginia Woolf does. anyway, keep dreaming.
    <3<3<3

• rwong

this really took my breath away and how did i not comment when i liked it????? it's like...idk i'm pretty much speechless so y'know this comment probably doesn't make a lot of sense hahaha
    re: omg pls go do ur math test lol but thanks for ur comment it was really sweet <3 <3

• Caleb Urlacher

honestly, it's one of those things where you just have to go for it. i was overwhelmed too. you know that feeling when you're at the pool or ocean and it's cold, so you're a little bit afraid to get in? See, dipping your toes in the water doesn't really work. You just gotta jump right in. There will be times early on when you might regret it, where the cold of the water gets to you, but after a while you'll wonder why you didn't jump in earlier. YT tutorials are helpful, as are articles on how to self-publish. that's where i started. find some people willing to edit your manuscript (assuming you have one, if you don't, compile everything you want to be published in the order you want it)

and i kinda sorta play the ukelele. otherwise it's all computers or electronic lol

• beth r.

"her delicate steps dance over the clouds as she climbs,
    climbs,
    climbs! to the highest of heights."
    I adore this formatting- like the letters are climbing. I love the title, the wording- beautiful!
    re: no you're immaculate

• Busssy.Beee

hehe, i finally finished my inspired piece. it's no where near yours, but i hope that's okay :D i had to use the latin name for the moon because the roman one sounded a tad bit strange, but nonetheless, thank you so so much for the inspiration!!! <33

• Yellow Sweater

Re: I love that description! Thank you!

• crystalline•galaxies

oh wow. the metaphorical vibes and clear twinkly-ness of this piece are immaculate.

• Caleb Urlacher

and yeah the collection is coming along nicely. i've taken a little break because my musical side has been really active. my friend and i are actually almost done with a little EP. we've been making music for a while but nothing really stuck until now. it's a cross between dance/darkwave/post punk and it actually sounds pretty good. he mostly plays the guitars and i do the synths and drum machine. it's an interesting combo for sure. definitely a lot of European influence. as well as poetry influence. i can't sing at all. he's good at singing but it wouldn't really fit, so the "vocals" so far have been spoken word samples.

• Caleb Urlacher

nah you can send me questions anytime lol.
    and hi :) you doing alright?

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

i'm really sorry it's happened to you.
    it's a little bit of an internal struggle; firstly - it's annoying but also, i don't want to turn away some younger writer..

as close to perfections as one can get.
    i don't know HOW i was unfollowing you; i did not do it on purpose. but i'm following you again, so yay.

This is just so creative! My jaw dropped at how pretty this is! The way you put a picture into my mind and made it feel so normal (if that makes sense haha) but seriously you have made such a wonderful peice! Lots of love <3

• Busssy.Beee

re: really? yay!! hmm, imma go ahead and start writing soon :P so that i can hopefully publish it in the next two days? idk though lol. i hope you're well too!! <3 hoping that school will treat you well tomorrow, even if you have any projects/tests/or anything, wishing that it won't be too hard!!

• Busssy.Beee

your personification is gorgeous and so elegant. how? you spun words so beautifully into such a delightful piece, split the stanzas so perfectly, everything fit together so well. the transition from sunrise to sunset, it all feels so natural, so calming. serene. when reading this, it felt as if your words danced across the piece, creating such a heavenly scene. absolutely stunning!

sorry for the late late late reply :\ but re: so so true, wtw really did kinda faltered, but it feels good to start back again! i think it's so so nice to see people start using others' prompts and create their own work with what others' ideas. it's fabulous!
    speaking of that, would you mind if I did a similar piece except with the moon? i'll credit you, of course, but if you don't want, i won't write it :)

• (sk)eyesofocher

beautiful! as usual, but I think this is one of my favorites now^^

• Yellow Sweater

i love this so much! Especially the line "and she matures, deepens; illuminating the dust and/ bringing to the world a light unlike any other." Wow.

Re: Thank you for your comment! That line is my favorite as well:)

This is beautiful!! Love it :)

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

also..just this, though;
    "in silence she dances across rooftops; she leaves
    climbs,
    climbs! to the highest of heights."

CAN I BUY YOUR POEM COLLECTION ONCE YOU PUBLISH IT THIS IS JUST TOO GOOD ELL FFFFF

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

• psithurism

Ahhh! This is so exquisitely crafted ahh! I don't know what else to say! <3

Oooh Ell I'm in love with this. It's so vividly lovely.
    "the silence has broken
    and birdsong has taken its place."
    I know this piece has more spectacular and revolutionary lines than that one, but there something so simply beautiful about it. :)