Zinniav

I'm 17, interested in linguistics, mathematics, philosophy, theology, and history.

She/ Her | Bi | Disabled | Agnostic | Useless Intellectual | WA

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions.

Please start up a discussion!

Cultural Density (footnotes)

5
Culture is collective accomplishments made within the confines of laws and traditions. These rules are essential, without them we would have no frame for interpretation. They create complexity by requiring us to work with them, to use them as building blocks that can either be stacked up or knocked down. Cultural rules are essential in developing something I have termed cultural density. I believe density doesn’t only apply to the physical world, but also applies to the world of ideas. By thinking inside the box, our ideas are forced to fold in on themselves, becoming increasingly complex. Without some form of containment, we wouldn’t have enough overlapping experience to communicate or interact with each other in a meaningful way.

Trivial customs such as small talk or table manners may seem mundane, but they give us a common language which we can subtly warp. Social rules give us the chance to exercise our ingenuity. We highlight our cleverness by making minor indiscretions with intention. A colorful piece of clothing stands out only because the majority sticks to neutral tones. Fashion is an amalgamation of history, current trends and individuality. Something can only be unconventional if there is a established convention

Ideas, regardless of their truth, can be beautiful. Without social constructs, there would be no such thing as society. Our art would have no depth, no symbols or audacity. We rely on our limitations; they are the warp through which we weave our tapestries.
I got a question as to what inspired my piece "Ur and the Encyclopedia Britannica" That piece was actually inspired by the ideas I explore in this essay!   I would love to hear your thoughts. Right now my thesis feels a little half-baked. 

• Ahsan Nizaam

Now, I'm royally confused. Earlier you stated that changing your piece to please the expectation others although makes you feel you're getting somewhere deprives you of your satisfaction. And now it's as if social construction brings depth to your art (Your pieces).

• Cosmogyral

For your thesis I think you should be careful, traditions and laws make up a culture, yes, but they are a culture. You should work to say what makes a culture strong and loved by its people. It's a good concept.