Yellow Sweater

(Formerly Zinniav)

I'm 17, interested in linguistics, mathematics, philosophy, theology, and history.

She/ Her | Bi | Disabled | Agnostic | Useless Intellectual | WA

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions.

Ok, this is really weird... Any help would be appreciated:)

Ur and the Encyclopedia Britannica

On the other side of my tiny town is one of the most well respected poetry presses in the country, Copper Canyon. I have been told I have what it takes to make it all the way, the whole seventeen blocks. But seventeen years have come and gone. And even the three blocks to the grocery store feel like an odyssey of epic proportions. 

It’s funny how we measure life in blocks. We turn even the most mundane measurements into vertical distances, towers and poems. Civilization has always been very dense. Ancient Ur was only .27 square miles. And stacked precariously high, the Encyclopedia Britannica occupies less then one square foot. 

My poems swallow galaxies with their vastness. I’ve tried to remedy the problem, submitting to pretty little magazines, taming my wild breaths until they curl in my throat. I’ve tried to make myself complex. And I think I am getting somewhere. I really do. But the sanctity of each and every detail I record is destroyed by the pervasive, clawing infinite. I have never been able to build boxes. Instead of pounding the nails into place, I always end up hitting my fingers. 

My goal this year is to buy a well made box from the carpenter that lives down the lane and stuff my soul into its frame until I twist, fold and collapse, until the laws of the universe and the human laws of density, transform me into something entirely regulated, entirely new, intricate and beautiful. I will sit there, sqiushed, until I finally learn how to play chess. 

1

• poetri

Damn I love this

• Starlitskies

Re: Absolutely! Tbh, I've only noticed three writers on WtW that work with abstractions and actually pull it off. Well, you're on of them. :)

• Starlitskies

This is just beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I love how abstract your writing is! <3

• girly_nerd123

your word choice is amazing here and i really really like the last line
    well scratch that i like the whole thing, measuring life in blocks and the whole taming wild breaths and everything. the life of a writer is so insanely weird, and i think you've got it all down. cheers! love this.

• Ahsan Nizaam

RE: I'm getting a 404 error. Is it the correct link?

• Ahsan Nizaam

I think I get it. It seems like you have to change part of who you are to be able to gain their approval. I don't think being intricate is something that is gained, it's already ingrained in people. But if you try to change who you are it won't necessarily get you what you want.

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

This is really cool actually! I love the imagery, I can literally SEE it! Please check out a piece or two of mine, maybe my new series called ESP Research Agency, and start from that one before moving on to ESP Research Agency: Affirmative, then New Names For the Interview Games, and my newest Father's Daughters Empty Promises as well as others like Alley Anonymous? Everyone else please check out a piece as well! Kind of new and hoping to expand my audience a bit :)

• rivqah

Exquisite. You have such proficiency for familiarizing the reader with, well, you. Your setting, situation, sentiments. It's truly inspiring to see this emotion, this obscure yearning cemented by contrasts of density and mundane measurement, captured so effectively. It's brilliant. Thank you.

the imagery in this is gorgeous! I love how you "measure life in blocks"
    "My poems swallow galaxies with their vastness"
    and this^ this is so vivid.
    something about your words doesn't make the meaning clear--i don't really understand, yet that makes it all the more beautiful and complex.
    also i didn't know that about ancient ur...that little detail is perfect. something that is so admired and well known is so small. this almost is saying that not everything meaningful in life has to be big. idk tho that is just my interpretation. id love to hear your thoughts on why you wrote this

.... huh.

you know, this actually is kinda... comedic? idk, maybe it's just me not understanding it, but it made me smile. especially that last stanza/paragraph :)