Emalie Caley

Ever After High: the Storybook of Legends by Shannon Hale

This is my favorite book and I give 5 Stars! I love it so much that I have read it 3 times! It is mostly for fantasy readers, but it has a little bit of almost every genre in it. It has fantasy, adventure, drama, mystery, humor, and even a secret forbidden romance! It is mostly for teens and tweens, but my mom likes it too, so it could really be for all ages.
  It is set in the land of Ever After. Mostly in Ever After High. There, the children of famous fairytale characters are expected to become exactly like their parents. They do so with a tradition called Legacy Day. On Legacy Day, the kids are told to sign a book called The Storybook of Legends.   
  The book has the magical power to force them to live their parents's fairytale lives exactly the same as their parents did. Signing the book will seal their fate forever. They are told that if they don't sign, then they will cease to exist, along with their stories and everyone else in them!
  The Main Characters Are:
  Headmaster Grimm, who strongly encourages everyone to sign, warning them about their fates if they refuse.
  Madeline Hatter, the daughter of the Mad Hatter from Wonderland. Maddie can hear the narrator who is telling the story, though most people believe that it is simply a voice in her head. She often speaks a language from Wonderland called Riddlish in which she uses riddles and metaphors to convey her feelings.
  Apple White, the daughter of Snow White. Apple has waited for her destiny all of her life because she knows that she gets a happily-ever-after. This causes her to follow all of the rules and be what Ever Afters call a Royal.
  Lastly, there's Raven Queen, the daughter of the Evil Queen from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Raven is a kind-hearted person who only wants to do good. She hates that she's destined to become an evil villain, and she searches desperately for a way not to sign the Storybook of Legends. She rejects her destiny, making her what Ever Afters call a Rebel.
  When Raven tried asking what would happen if she didn't want to sign the book, Headmaster Grimm told her "Ms. Queen, don't even joke about such matters. You know the pledge is the greatest protection I can give you. Every citizen of Ever After exists as part of a story. If we don't retell those stories, they vanish and we along with them. Poof!"
  Raven hopes to prove that she doesn't have to sign the book so that she and others who don't want to sign don't have to be exactly like their parents. She hopes that they can instead "write their own destinies."
  After a little bit of searching, Raven finds out that someone didn't sign the book! So she decides to track her down to discover what happened to her and whether or not she died. Raven searches long and hard for her because she suspects that Headmaster Grimm is lying. Apple insists on helping Raven find the girl who didn't sign because Apple is a part of Raven's story. If Raven doesn't sign, Apple will also cease to exist!
  This book has so many twists and turns that you don't see coming. I won't spoil it for you, but be sure not to skip the epilogue, or you'll miss out on the biggest twist of all! I like that there are other books in the series, and that the book doesn't end in a cliffhanger, like many novels and series do.
  It is truly inspiring and teaches you not to expect the worst or best from someone just because of what they look like or who their parents are. Many people assume that all of the Royals are nice and all of the Rebels only want to destroy the stories. But often, the Rebels just want to be nice and the Royals are only concerned with getting their own happy-endings, no matter what it takes.
  I hope that you read it and enjoy it as much as I did!

• January 19, 2021 - 12:11am (Now Viewing)