Eremurus

Call me River
He/They
nonbinary transmasc; panromantic; asexual?
(i really have no clue what i'm doing)
Agnostic/Theist
hApPy PrIdE mOnTh
BLM

<3<3<3 :):):)

god and Love (The Bible Challenge)

9
The Bible Challenge: my excuse to spend a couple of days writing opinionated pieces about christianity

But for today! The original prompt: Write a piece proving the existence of God without using the Bible.

No way in this existence could I prove the existence of anything such as god. Chances are if it were just 'prove the existence of god' and it didn't mention the Bible, I probably still wouldn't use it. I, personally, find the Bible intimidating. I believe it to be a wonderful collection of ancient literature that is inspired by an expansive experience of love and begs to inspire in its readers the same expansive love, but I don't believe it to be entirely historically accurate or scientifically accurate.

If I'm not answering the original prompt, I'll word my own question and then question the wording of it. Yes, that will do.

Why do you believe in God if anything such as god could not be proved?

Well, what is it to believe? "To have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so" (directly copied from dictionary.com) It seems fitting. So, why do I have confidence in the truth, the existence, or reliability of God, although without absolute proof that I am right in doing so?

Well, God really means different things to different people. If we're asking why I "believe" in it, it implies that I "believe" in it in the first place. So, what kind of God do I believe in? If I'm coming up with a stand-in for "God".
    (I know I said I probably wouldn't use the Bible, this is one of the few instances where the Bible makes me just so happy. Also, if you've read the other answers, other people use the bible, so I think it's kind of sort of acceptable.) There is a verse in the Bible that simply says "God is love" (1 John 4:8 I'm pretty sure). Though taking the Bible literally in most cases is a terrible idea, I find taking the Bible literally here is extremely helpful for me. It's saying that God and love are the same thing. Love is a force and god is not a being. god is a force and Love is not a being. The force of Love is the same as the force that is god. I see God as the force of love. I see God as love itself and sometimes I use one term as a stand-in for another. (More in footnotes)

My stand-in for "God": Love

The final question: Why do I have confidence in the truth, the existence, or reliability of Love, although without absolute proof that I am right in doing so?

Love is patient
love is kind.
It does not envy,
it does not boast,
it is not proud.
It is not rude,
it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs. 
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

Love, when I experience it in it's truest form, has never failed me. Love is the most wonderful force. Humanity has the opportunity to know, give, and receive the experience of Love.
God is Love with an uppercase L. love is god with a lowercase g. I refer to them that way out of a longing for my subconscious to grasp the concepts of god and Love. When I refer to love (lowercase l) and God (uppercase G) I refer to the more popular interpretations of the words (non-religious views of the terms as well as evangelical conservative views of the terms, in the instances where they are similar)

1

• Blue Jay

Interesting. I like how you used the analogy for god=love. I think that you are one of the best bible challenge pieces! I'm an atheist, and I feel like when I did believe in god it was very abstract like he was the good in the world and such. I like the idea that god is a force, it does make an interesting case. Wonderful piece, and have a wonderful day! :)

• Yellow Sweater

Re: thank you so much! You are welcome to share anything you want to with me as well:)

• anemoia by a thread

re: haha, thanks. this idea is prob gonna sit in the back of my head, quietly waiting for its time to emerge and say, "HERE I AM, did you FORGET me?" while i'm, idk, cooking spaghetti in my farmhouse with 2.5 children, 2 cats, chickens, and a pinterest-inspired kitchen and trying to keep life together or something. wow, idk where that came from. maybe it'll come back to me when i'm in sitting in the university cafeteria in my final year of college, contemplating why i'm consuming this thing they call food. point is, it's on the back burner for now but i do love the napoleon musical/play idea.

• Yellow Sweater

Random question. I understand if you aren't comfortable with this. But it seems like we have some similar views regarding faith and I would love to send you an essay I wrote on some of these ideas. But I can't post it because it is under consideration for publication. If you want to read it, would is be possible for me to send it to you over email. I am just always looking for people with whom I can have philosophical conversations. No pressure. Again, I totally understand if you are not comfortable or don't want to read it. I won't be offended!

• anemoia by a thread

re: okay. that makes sense.
    and thanks!
    b u t h o w a m i s u p p o s e d t o w r i t e t h e n e x t h a m i l t o n i f i ' v e
    n e v e r s e e n i t ?

• Yellow Sweater

Also thank you so much! If you ever need inspiration heck out U-Chicago's supplementary essay prompts they are INCREDIBLE!

• Yellow Sweater

Of course! I would love to read a second part to this. I am also writing a piece inspired by your, if that is ok with you?

• Yellow Sweater

This is a beautiful piece. I have a very similar perspective on the bible. And though I am not a Christian I think the "god is Love" idea is a radically lovely one that changed the world for the better. When I ask my mom, who is a Christian, to describe God that's what she always says. Sometimes, to be clear, she uses the Greek word Agape instead though.

• anemoia by a thread

i am also a little confused on your stance. i think i see some of your interpretation... basically, you're not a part of organized religion but see Love as a representation of what some might call God?

this is amazing! :)

• musicmaker

Re: Nice Piece! True! God is love. Without God, I personally believe that there can be no love. (By the way, when it comes to the Bible, there has so far been no concrete evidence for historical error, in fact, the things people have thought to be false have come out as true.) As it comes to morality, I respect your opinion but I personally believe that there is a right and a wrong. If there was not a right and a wrong then love would have no meaning. Who is to say that love is right? Who is to say that love isn't wrong? Make sense?
    Have a great day!