Paisley Blue

they/them | 6.2.2020
lesbian & genderfluid | christian

full of wonder

wtw parent to that one kid from the grinch
library buddies with SunV, almost flora kane, and mirkat

--

"My work is loving the world.
Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird--
equal seekers of sweetness.
Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
Here the clam deep in the speckled sand."
- "Messenger", Mary Oliver

"And I will show that nothing can happen more beautiful than death,
And I will thread a thread through my poems that time and event are compact,
And that all the things of the universe are perfect miracles, each as profound as any."
-Song of Myself (Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman)

--

Making my way through this world, trying to help as many people as I can.

i want to stay

there was a wood, once upon a time,
where ordinary life became a miracle, in the trees
that bent over the yellow grass and fallen leaves,
where i was a child. the trails seemed to stretch
for miles [miles] and we were the rulers
of this world. it was golden and it was rusty and
it was perfect.

there was a wood, beyond my memories,
where the wind in the trees sounded like a melody
church-bells over a trickling stream; it was
poetry. time stood still under the boughs and
we filled the space between with laughter - 
and we were happy.

there was a wood, not long ago, 
where the grass grew wild and trash became treasure
in the late-summer afternoons, when the sun mothered us
from behind cotton-ball clouds. we
claimed the woods and yet they still held us
in balance.

there was a wood, i remember, 
where freedom was being out of sight
of responsibility, and nothing was more beautiful than
the bluebird, high upon her nest in the crooked branches
of a half-dead tree. and the imperfections were priceless, 
because without them it wouldn't be real.

there is a wood, where i long to be - 
yet each time i return, i find it
no more than a dream.

i know, i didn't follow the prompt at all (i mean, i didn't even name the place and that's kinda the prompt so...) this is actually about the wood behind my grandma's house. i've written one or two different poems about all of the memories i have there - but the wood is one of my dearest ones. when we were little, my cousins and i would take handkerchiefs, pile snacks into them, and tie them to sticks so we could be "travelers". then we'd go off into the wood and explore, build forts out of branches, and discover old trash that had been dumped there to rust - it became somewhat of a sculpture garden to us, as we imagined who it had belonged to, long ago, or how old it was. i remember feeling so free; it was exhilarating, no adults around to hover over me or judge me silently. just me and my cousins. i wish i could relive the times we didn't care about anything more than pretending to be werewolves and vampires, or seeing where the path led us, through the woods. 

:)

• January 14, 2021 - 9:46am (Now Viewing)

• hold on to the memories #NEWYEAR [slightly hiatus]

Wow. Like... wow, I want to soak in this. The title alone, plaintive and simply pleading.

about 4 hours ago
  • -<~>- izzymorales -<~>-

Did I say how much I love this? Because I love, love, love this.

Chapter Two of "Between the Sun-Drenched Waves" is out:

1 day ago
  • -<~>- izzymorales -<~>-

re: ikr i was just thinking about that-

"church-bells over a trickling stream; it was/ poetry. time stood still under the boughs and/ we filled the space between with laughter - "
    "the sun mothered us"
    "the imperfections were priceless, / because without them it wouldn't be real."
    "i find it/ no more than a dream."
    okay wow i almost quoted your whole piece... i can picture everything here so clearly. it sounds absolutely divine, your times in the woods. the way you describe this is just breathtaking and the parts where you say "there was a wood, ..." and then the time or place is great because you try to pinpoint when or where this happened but it's beyond time or place almost... it's not tangible i guess. makes it all the more intriguing and lovely and this is almost a fairy tale. beautiful job, paisley!
    <3<3<3

• crystalline•galaxies

this is adorable! and the little message in the footnotes gave such sweet background as well. beautiful as always, dear.

• cranevarnish

First of all this is amazing. Your writing flows so nicely, and the mood you create is just perfect. It brought back such good memories of tramping through my own grandparent's backyard wood!
    replying: Thank you so much, I hope my english teacher agrees, also I love your new pfp

• thea_ivy

This is amazing! You really have a way with words<3

Oh, and your pfp is adorable

Your poems about your grandma's house always make me feel so light and full... *contended sigh*

• Avril

Love this! The imagery is beautiful and it makes me feel so nostalgic. :)

• Lexi Birken

RE: mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe (sobs)

• Lexi Birken

Ah, this reminds me of going to summer camp. There was this part of the woods that they just let the kids play in and build stuff. Hmm, what nostalgia.
    PS:I'm totally crashing your picnic kiwi XD

• Sunnydew

re: When this is all over you and I should go adventuring in the woods and have a picnic in a little stick fort we'll make.

• Sunnydew

I had an experience like this too! My grandparents have a large forest next to their backyard so I would always go adventuring and I even made a large stick fort that was like a secret hideaway for me. The land their house is on was Native American land once, so there's signs of them everywhere. There's carvings in large rocks, trees with the bent branches, and even this massive tree that's older than dirt an like 55 times as big as the ones around it in the middle of a very large clearing. I miss it so much there.