crystalline•galaxies

Switzerland

tuffy
she/they
infp-a | 4w5

i'm very sure that this is not exactly what the prompt was looking for. oh well.

i cannot give a name to the nameless.

it is the rock outside of your house, just in front of the woods and the stream that run through your property. it is the place where we once sat side-by-side, eyes focused on the woods ahead, speculating about the appearance of cougars and mountain lions and bears. we were young back then. i can still feel the jagged stone underneath my fingertips; i can still hear the sound of the crickets mingled with the distant sound of the others playing a game of tag; i can still see your silhouette against the light of the porch. my mind was filled with wild fantasies back then, fantasies of your lips on mine and your hands in my hair. your sister yelled in the background, though i know not what she yelled about. perhaps it was the dirty dishes in the sink. we both know how neat and tidy she is. i could barely see your dark face in the cover of night, but your shoulder was close enough to brush. we were there: present, real, solid. words passed between us like rapids on a river, and we could not stop, even if we wanted to. neither of us knew of the present, of the things yet to come, and i wonder what we would have done had we known what would become of us. for as time went on, the seasons changed from summer and into winter and then started all over again, and we very nearly forgot about that night, the night full of contemplation and possibility. 

and though we may not ever sit side-by-side on that rock in front of the woods and the stream that run through your property again, we carry it with us still. i feel it in laughter on chairlifts, in hands clasped anxiously on wooden pews, in arms linked together on skating rinks. it's etched in your face, in the way you can't stop smiling when you say those words and the way you stare at me when you think i'm not looking. we rekindle the memories of youthful fantasies and turn them into realities with cliché texts (but, as you said, i guess this is love and beauty) and poetry scribbled on the books of life. there are some days that i wake up and anxiety grips me like an iron fist, my stomach twisting into a thousand little knots of worry and doubt, and i can't help but wonder if this is what we are meant for, if this is what our childish selves would have wanted back on that night under the stars, but then i remember the feeling of you next to me and i remember the sight of your face and it all slips away under the carefree blanket of giddy bliss

i've been asked to brand this place, to give it a name and call it my own. this is a task i cannot complete. it does not belong to me alone; it belongs to us, but to more than just that. it belongs to the feeling of us, to the spark that lights up in the space between the palms of our hands. one could call it love, but is that deep enough? the ancient greeks have given us words to describe the specificity of love -- eros, philia, ludus, agape, pragma, philautia, storge, xenia -- and yet, even these have failed us. need we describe it, though? there is no reason not to let it be, to let it remain nameless. nameless does not mean worthless. the definition of nameless is (especially of an emotion) not easy to describe; indefinable. 

in short, it means us.
based on actual events.

• cloudi (kind of inactive 'cause of some... stuff)

re: awwhh

• Busssy.Beee

re: oh my. my heart feels like its gonna burst. thank you so incredibly for your words, I value them so so much. you're words of wisdom is something that I have to remind myself of constantly, so having you there has been such so glorious. one day, i hope i'll get to talk to you more <33

• Busssy.Beee

I can't help but drool over this piece, goodness!! I loved every single word of this.
    and i wrote a little something for you. third stanza, "timid" is dedicated to you!
    well, just a little explanation. when i first started, i was a bit shy about writing, but because of you, i started unconsciously gaining self-esteem. i have no idea how it started or why, but it just did. but, still i am so so grateful.
    love, bee. <3

• em wilder

"nameless does not mean worthless."
    "in short, it means us."
    there is so much to unpack and analyze and reread and adore and wonder about in this piece! i absolutely love (okay reading wisp's comment tho... the word love is seemingly devoid of meaning and yet i feel like it means so much? confusing huh?) all of this. i could picture it in my mind, seeing two people side by side at dusk with the last afterglow of light. trees and a stream. a rock. a porch swing. fireflies. and then it melts away and it's just one person sitting there in the harsh reality of day time where the sun is too bright and blinding... i don't know this just was what i imagined as i read this... ahhhhhh lovely! okay athena, take care stay safe and keep dreaming!
    <3<3<3

• Rose A

Whoops. typo. I meant piece not prompt.

• Rose A

My prompt touches on something similar, but yours is just wow. Positively breathtaking.

• Wisp

Replying: I'm telling you we should be philosophers and just talk about the meanings behind the word love, picking it apart and scanning it. And I definitely agree with all the points you made. Perhaps it's not the fact that the word has lost meaning, but rather we use it so often that to us it means so little. And yet, when I say "I love you" to my friends aloud, it feels strong enough and it makes me wonder sometimes if love is easier written than said aloud. Because it's easy to say "I love you" to your friends when you're texting or when you're talking about objects (Ex. music and interests) but then when you say it aloud to others who aren't your family for the first time, it's almost like the meaning bites at you and it comes to life in a whole other light. Or is that just me? But what I'm saying is that yes it's overused, but there is a reason it's so powerful and there is a reason why the word is so hard to muster out when you say it to someone for the first time. And no matter how overused it tends to be, it is still a word that holds so much meaning and emotion.

• FastOceanLove

I'm speechless, just wow, it doesn't matter if it wasn't what the prompt was based off of IT IS FINOMINAL!!!! (is that how you spell it?) Mine looks like kindergarten work compared to yours but pls feel free to check it out, would love you too and everyone else as well!!

• Wisp

"one could call it love, but is that deep enough?"
    I was talking to Paisley and we were talking about how love isn't a strong enough word to encapsulate all that we feel at that moment; the smiles, the rush of emotions, the mix of so many things at once. It's so hard to pin that to a single word, and as powerful a word as love can be, sometimes it's merely not enough and it just doesn't fully capture all that it is. And love is thought of as that romantic type of view, romanticized thoughts of hand holds and kisses, and as much as I adore that, I feel like there's just so much to go with it than simply that. Perhaps that's why the word love is simply not strong enough, since we, as a people, condemn it to this notion of only romanticized feelings. But to me, I personally believe love is friendship and growth and laughing at jokes together and texts over stupid stuff and chatting with strangers and just being you and I in that moment. So I love that you ended it with "in short, it means us." because that is so much more powerful. Also, sorry for getting so philosophical haha, I didn't know I had so many thoughts on the word love.
    Anyways, absolutely love (oh haha, I guess I couldn't come up with a better word huh?) this piece. It's just so endearing and sweet and tinged with reminiscent youth with the fadings of a forever ago. There's just such poetic bliss in this that it's simply beyond words, like a tranquility you take us through by sharing this tender and private moment of your life with us. Reading this is like viewing your life in pictures, and while we're not the person you're writing this about, for we're simply onlookers looking in at this frozen moment in time, it simply feels like we are. You capture the feelings, the compassion, the environment, the vibes in this piece in such a darling way, that I cannot help but feel that this is a memory I have lived and experienced. I cannot help but feel like I have gone to that rock in front of the house with the stream in front and felt all you did. This is beautiful and if snapshots were to be written into words, this would be it.
    Replying: That's a long comment about philosophy and stuff what the heck, I didn't know I had the mental capacity for that oh my gosh. Also, this isn't part of the replying, but I find it funny, so here you go! You're so sweet and ahhhh why isn't there a stronger word for love?? Because I love you too! (It's okay dearie! Haha, when I talk to you most of the time I fear when I say phrases like this it feels like a love confession or something so I totally get what you mean) And it's okay, I hope you're doing well and that your finals are going splendidly. Sending love darling!

• Rohan’s Defender

WOAH, THIS. IS. INDESCRIBABLE. AND. PHENOMENAL!!! I’m with Anne!
    Tuffy, you are brilliantly talented! Please keep writing more work like this!
    Re: thank you so much!!! :)

Tuffyyyyy! This piece is a sensory and emotional journey. I'm obsessed. What a lovely piece to start my morning with.

oh my goodness... tuffy... this is brilliant. wow. um. idk, i think you answered the prompt more perfectly than anyone could. wow. i don't know what to say... *picks jaw up from where it had fallen on the floor*

• Zirong

wow. I can only say wow. I am blown away by how amazing this is. :)

• rwong

dang. um. what am i supposed to say. i love it but that doesn't measure up to this. it's so beautiful and heartwrenching and emotional ok imma stop talking that doesn't nearly even make up for one line of this. in short i love it. ok sorry tuffy you came across me again and i have a tendency to ramble. ok i'm done now sorry again but also this is amazingggg <3 <3 <3

• Emmy Lou

Damn you're good. This is nearly made me cry, and that is impressive considering it takes a lot to make me tear up. In this short story you took me to a different world. Keep it up.