The Inky Writer

Ireland

She / Her
Currently writing a book you can read a preview here https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/201676/version/414197

Welcome to my writing! Comment on a piece of mine with a link to your writing if you would like a peer review :)

Little Women - A Book Review

“ Every few weeks she would shut herself up in her room, put on her scribbling suit, and fall into a vortex, as she expressed it, writing away at her novel with all her heart and soul, for till that was finished she could find no peace.” I love this quote. It creates a sentimentality in me to fall into my own vortexes during scribbling stories.

Little Women, a fiction novel written by Louisa May Alcott, is one of the greatest stories about love between a family that has ever been written. The book portrays the importance of family. It tells the story of the four March sisters at home in New England, while their father is away fighting in the Civil War. Each of the girls is unique from the other. As the sisters balance the trials and errors of coming of age with life’s hardships, this book will be impossible to lay aside. Little Women will lead you through the March family’s saddest moments to their happiest. 

Jo, a writer and feminist, is the primary protoganist. During the course of the novel, Jo writes plays for her and her sisters to perform as well as stories and a novel, at a time when it was seen as ‘improper’ for ladies to write. She is short tempered and a nonconformist. “ You are the gull, Jo, strong and wild, fond of the storm and the wind, flying far out to see and happy all alone.” I relate to Jo the most. Her irritableness is very similar to my own. The stories she writes are an inspiration, especially during a close-minded era. 
    Meg, a kind and romantic character, the eldest of the four sisters, will bring you to some parties where you may desire to dance, at least I know I did. She is the peacemaker sister of the family. Her head leads her astray on a few occasions but she finds her way back to the source of her true happiness. 
    Beth, who is a dedicated musician, is also a selfless, optimistic young girl. “She sang like a little lark about her work, never was too tired for Marmee and the girls, and day after day said hopefully to herself," I know I'll get my music some time, if I'm good.” Beth represents the people who quietly help everyone else. She will warm your heart and bring a tear, or two to your eye.
    Finally, the youngest, Amy is an extroverted artist. She will struggle a little after following her peers. She was spoiled at a young age and was left wishing to have much of what her older sisters experience. However, Amy is truly elegant. She will shock and amaze everyone who takes the time to learn more about her than the eye first prevails. 

The beautiful tale is based on Louisa May Alcott’s personal life when she was growing up and though it was written in 1868 this creates a very relatable story of the love between family members, writing to express your thoughts and feelings, controlling your temper and the importance of honesty. I found comfort in sharing values with the Little Women. 
    My  favourite trait of this book is the format in which it is laid out. Each chapter is a different story, yet they connect together into lives. Sometimes, the chapter headings may hint the subject of the next part. Once you delve into a chapter you are led from sentence to sentence, without too much unnecessary information. This creates a light read that will warm you inside.
    Although Little Women is said to be children’s literature, people of all ages are sure to enjoy the wonderful classic. 
I think anyone who writes on the Write The World platform will enjoy this story as the book teaches some very important lessons about writing, such as, not to write for money but rather the enjoyment of the act.
    If you do not already have a copy of Little Women resting on your bookshelf, I highly recommend purchasing the novel and encountering the breath-taking and lively lives of the March family for yourself.