Saloni Soni

15
Tragedies, romance, simplicity
"Absolute power does not corrupt absolutely, absolute power attracts the corruptible"

Hey, I'm new here! I usually enjoy writing fiction, preferably science fiction and horror stories, but I've been trying to get into philosophy and stories that make you think about the universe . I'm a big bookworm and some of my favorite authors are Khaled Hosseini, André Aciman, and Chitra Banarjee Devakurni. When it comes to books I will literally read anything (yes I read and cringed at twilight) and exploring genres and authors is something I enjoy doing a lot. I'm also a big space nerd and I guess the mysterious attraction I have towards the secrets of the universe inspires a lot of my writing. I am in no way professional, but it's just something I enjoy doing.

Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman- The Rebirth of Love

My story with this book starts like every other. A new recommendation. A new obsession for about a week till I found a new one. Little did I know that this 256-page masterpiece could alter the way I thought not only about love but about the universe itself. 

What if I told you that all that you know about love is a facade?

Call Me By Your Name is the coming-of-age narrative of 17-year-old Elio Perlman and his complex relationship with Oliver, a graduate spending the summer at his family's villa. A captivating tale filled with heartbreak, desire, intimacy, and maturity all told from the insightful perspective of André Aciman. In its essence, Call Me By Your Name is simplicity at its finest. Two souls. One enchanting summer. 

One of the main things that devoted me to this book was the unique character development. At first glance, it is obvious that Elio is inexperienced when it comes to love. Often lost in his thoughts, reading, transcribing music, he enjoys his own company. But as you explore the multiple stages of his infatuation with Oliver, a new side of Elio is revealed, in the most subtle way possible. From smart to cunning. Bold to headstrong. Lovable to impatient. They say love changes a person for the better, but is this better? The truth is, Elio is undergoing perhaps the most overwhelming awakening of his life. In romantic terms, you could say he was head over heels in love, but it is so much more than that. Battling with all kinds of emotions he's never felt before, an indescribable, passionate longing for this one person. A current so strong it engulfs your whole being, tears you to shreds, and leaves you exposed, vulnerable, and utterly confused. It is maturity in the sense of the word. Oliver on the other hand was hard for me to fathom at first. Looking at him through the jealous eyes of Elio, Oliver seemed perfect- handsome, academic, well-liked, and popular. But as they say, love reveals your deepest secrets- good and bad. And surprise surprise, Oliver is just as messed up as Elio. I think when you feel love as strong as they did, the outside doesn't matter. When Elio looked at Oliver, he saw himself in him. I believe that true love is a mirror. When you only live to love someone, you witness the merging of two souls.

“We had the stars, you and I. And this is given once only.”

Call Me By Your Name is filled to the brim with philosophical undertones and life lessons. We get to watch Elio as he comes to terms with his obsession, and all the struggles till then. We get to be there for Elio, through all the uncomfortable and unappealing segments. This is a crucial theme that sets the tone of the book- don't cut away from the feeling. As Elio struggles with his identity, there are lots of ideas and experiences that seem personal, a little too personal for me to know, but I just couldn't put the book down. It taught me that not all love is cliche and superficial. The book explores every aspect of love, appealing, and unappealing. The beauty is that Aciman doesn't care about the effect it will have on the public, but is simply trying to express unabashed, magnificent love in its purest form. The writing style only adds to this masterpiece. Seeing everything through Elio's eyes, I have a special connection with him. All the epiphanies and highs and lows add candid beauty to this tale that highly revolves around sincerity. I think the title "Call Me By Your Name" signifies the intertwining of two souls. Overwhelmed by infatuation and powerful desire, as every minute passed they became more like each other. An expression of two people stripped of their identities, only leaving behind their love for one another

“Time makes us sentimental. Perhaps, in the end, it is because of time that we suffer.”

If this book taught me anything, it was to take a step back and enjoy life for what it is. Knowing me, my mind is always stuck in the future. Incessantly dreaming about how life will be better later, I forget to be grateful for the beauty of living in the present. As Elio discovers who he is, I think I discovered who I am too. I learned to be patient and find joy in the little delights of life. I learned to love myself in the present, instead of constantly trying to better myself. I unearthed the little things that make me me. Every smile, every word, every opportunity I come across. I learned to welcome all the "unfavorable" and "bleak" experiences of life and make a lesson out of them. But most importantly, I had to accept that all good things come to an end and to be grateful that they happened instead of sulking that they are over. Life is full of mysteries, but don't be in a hurry to solve them. 

"We are not written for one instrument alone; I am not, neither are you."

I wholeheartedly recommend this book. It doesn't matter who you are, or how accustomed you are to romance, Call Me By Your Name is a life-changing book that everyone should read. I read a lot of structured fiction, and don't often find myself immersed in romance. But the impact this book had on me as a 15-year-old learning the ways of the world was astronomical. This book made me question every single aspect of my being, and gain a whole new perspective on love. Are they soulmates? That's for you to find out.

"Call me by your name and I'll call you by mine.”

hi! I saw you made a prompt for Feb grab bags...welll I loved it and tried it out! I just wanted to let you know. here's the link if you wanna check it out ;)

• Anirudh Shenoy

I loved the review. And I think that’s what love is abt, finding urself while learning to care for each other. It doesn’t matter where you’re from or who you are, we all can love, and this review perfectly encapsulates idea. That live is truly one of those few things that has no boundaries. Like Elton John said “It’s a little bit funny, this feeling inside”. Keep up the great work! (Hope this wasn’t cringey )

• Dmoral

but idk for 100%

• Dmoral

Re:
    they should be up in the morning you're time i believe

• ghostyboi

Re: I'm sorry I'm not great with timezones. Maybe try googling it.

Re: Oh welcome!! I don't actually know the exact time they'll be released; so sorry! I usually just wake up on the date (US date) and they're out. You can ask some WtW vets like Dmoral or sunny.v or Helpme512 and they might know.

Re: Thank you!

• Nikki

Hello! welcome! haha did i say that right? i'm Nikki. and feel free to reach out if you need anything :) i really love your piece! i will totally recommend to anyone searching for a romantic sort of book.
    i just wanted to give you a small tip. when someone comments on a piece of yours, you have to go to a piece of theirs and reply. i just noticed this, when you commented here and it's totally alright. honestly, i made the exact same mistake when i started :) anyways, i'm sure you'll work your way around the website. i'm here to help. have a nice day!

• Saloni Soni

re: Thank you so much! Would you mind filling out a review?

• Shivona

I cannot believe this.
    This is beautiful
    You are so talented! I have only ever watched the movie but the way you've described this book is so gentle and beautiful, it's like you've taken that delicate atmosphere of the love story and made this review just as deep and romantic to read.
    Thank you for this! I'll exit the competition now XD