anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (says rosi willard)

Child of God
logophile
volleyballer

Female

republished on 1.14.21: you can kinda skim the footnotes if you've already read them.
it's never too late for new beginnings. every morning, every minute, is a chance for a fresh start. really. After all, His mercies are new every morning.
*jumps into sales pitch* and it's NOT too late to join the #NEWYEAR challenge! read the section on the challenge in the footnotes! lmk in the comments if you participate. it's totally cool to put your new username in your bio or message board, too. if you are changing your name, be sure to write your previous name somewhere on your profile so we can find you again! <3

#NEWYEAR (footnotes!)

12
"Don't read the last page / But I stay when it's hard or it's wrong or we're making mistakes / I want your midnights / But I'll be cleaning up bottles with you on New Year's Day / Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you / ... / Please don't ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize anywhere"

Gray skies out the window
I'm really starting to feel
That seasonal depression
Now that the holidays have passed

Hail was slanting across my lawn
The Christmas tree is long, long gone
Silver droplets keep dripping, dripping
Hanging like a crystal tear from every branch

But then I remember
It's no longer 2020
And even though nothing magically changed
It's the way you think about it
We're on a new horizon
Although the virus is not frightened by a change of date
Our hope is renewed again
Enough to carry us through this time

The old is gone, the new has come
Sunshine will show once more
We'll settle into a humdrum
Of familiarity

And we will not forget our past
We refuse to let it sink 
Deeper still into the caverns of our fear
After all,
2020
Was only 
Last year.

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-George Santayana
*A FEW ANNOUNCEMENTS*
Well... as you may have noticed, I AM BACK! (I say that like I'm such a big deal; cue sarcastic snort.) As my username says, I am slowly returning from hiatus. It was a welcome break for me, but I knew I didn't want to abandon WtW completely. 
I want to thank ALL OF YOU for the numerous kind and understanding comments on my last post before hiatus. You all are teens trying to live a life full of craziness too. Your support means so much. (I JUST WISH I COULD MEET Y'ALL!) 

Next, you probably noticed a new username challenge: #NEWYEAR. Stylized in all caps solely for my viewing pleasure. And because 2021 IS a big deal. This one is pretty open-ended and can be anything you associate with the new year. This will probably last at least through January and maybe February too, since Valentine's Day is way too specific and layered with unwanted complications. Or I might do something completely unrelated to the season/month until spring hits. (Autumn for you Southern Hemisphere writers.) By mid-March, the spring challenge will be underway. 
My username comes from Taylor Swift's song "New Year's Day," from reputation, which is also featured in the piece above.

Thirdly, I probably won't be on here all that often. I will not be replying often. I've got many other projects.
I also just decided that I want to learn how to play ukulele, since I have two just lying around. A cheap soprano that has always been mine, and a higher-quality tenor ukulele that belonged to my great-grandmother. I'm going to learn on the tenor, and I just tuned it today using the Boss Tuner app and an online ukulele tuner and a YouTube video. (I have almost no musical knowledge, just so you know. This is gonna be a heck of a journey. I have several guides and books on learning the ukulele, though, so I won't have to live off of YouTube videos.) I like to sing, but... My only hope is that you wouldn't scream at me to shut up and spare your ears. I really don't think I'm horrid, but I'm barely in the ballpark of decent.

Finally, speaking of music... I have been trying my hand at songwriting. I actually did this several years ago, and I've started to come back to it. I've got a theme for the songs I want to write as well as an album name. It might be seen more as a poetry collection, but I have definite melodies for 2-3 songs right now. Working on it. I'll be releasing the lyrics on here once I you know, finish them. In the meantime, I'll probably just be republishing some stuff. 

Side note: For some reason, this kept trying to be a song in my head as I wrote it, even though the structure is not that of a song. It's more like lots of verses all together. And maybe a bridge. (That's partially why there are several rhyming lines.)
P.S. If you're a PJO fan at all, check out Uncle Rick's website under "News" for several exciting announcements about the PJO tv series and a short story featuring NIco and Percy in modern day (as in, the pandemic is occurring.) The short story is all in Italian, by the way. Google offered to automatically translate it.

All the best! Much thanks!

Taylor Swift. "New Year's Day." reputation, Big Machine Records, 2017.

Hey! We haven't talked in a while, but I just came from saher gole's piece, and thank you! I never considered myself a WtW warrior....

• Tushar Mandhan

re- Thanks and well...my excuse for such situations is that 'it's because of tea. you know caffeine...yeah it tends to hallucinate me.' and well i get away with it XD

• Tushar Mandhan

honesty i wanted to say a lot about the piece but 'big machine'.....i just remembered....that's so sad and morally incorrect. Arrrrr......your piece? took me 28 days back.....how i started this year! thanks for that nostalgic feel.

• Nikki

Re: AAAAAAA! YOU ARE SUCH A DARLINGGGGGG!! i can't believe i found a kotlc fan!! thank you so much for the feedback. i have totally taken everything you said and am writing a revised piece as we speak :)) that one idea you gave (to write it in second person) was brilliant!! i would have never thought of that, so thanksss :)
    oooo! i did NOT know there is going to be a live action movie! wow i am already super excited! i hope they cast it properly. i hate it when they get the character totally wrong. so fingers crossed as well!
    and yes! i am on legacy,*takes a deep breath as she begins* actually i'm waiting for the book. who knew it was so hard to get? seriously, there is NO EBOOK on the indian amazon, its so frustrating. i mean, how can you call sophie foster UNMATCHABLE AND THEN NOT LET ME READ MORE???
    also.... i am so hoping that she stays with fitz. like keefe is cute, but i hate the idea of sophie and ftz separated :( i can't wait for the suprise at the end of unlocked! also, i guess you knew this but Shannon Messenger is writing another book! its coming 2021! yay!
    i am so sorry for all this fan girling. if my sister hears another word about this book, she will seriously blast. haha. anways, thank you for listening to me.

Re: Thanks! I don't really keep up with the celebrity gossip but it's cool that my piece reminded you of real situations. And yeah that's how I ended up listening to the song lol.

The quote at the end is so true. I always feel like I miss your username challenges—I'll be sure to change mine now!!!

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

Loved this!!!!! And I love your profile picture lol

The final chapter has been published for On the High Seas!

• acrosstheuniverse28

Re: I feel ya! XD Keep at it though, even if it is just a background project! (Those are sometimes the best kinds of projects!)

• rwong

omygoodness WELCOME BACK!!! you've been missed!!!!! i love the piece, and echo acrosstheuniverse28's comment. oh and best of luck with the uke!! music is like this totally different language, so take your time i'm sure you'll get it :) oh and i see there's a new username challenge -- i'll change mine right now!!
    re: ofc you're in my wtw friends!!! <3 <3

• acrosstheuniverse28

Welcome back! And OH MY GOSH I LOVE THIS PIECE! It addresses the fact that yeah, nothing really changes with a new year, but that doesn't mean we can't hope for a better future. Just what I needed to hear right now! And good luck learning the ukulele! I learned a few Beatles songs over quarantine (they have pretty easy chords), and boy to I feel cool despite my clumsy strumming and chord changes! Anywho, wonderful writing, keep it up! <3

hey erin! howwww can i tell you what it felt like to see your name on my notifications?! well to say the least i clicked on that as fast as i coulddd and i was soooo happy to see your comment! i misssed you! wonderful piece, as always, and glad you are launching a new challenge.... it was also so beautiful to read! and as for your footnotes oh my gosh ukelele.... we have to play one in school but obviously cause we only have one class set we couldn't during distance learning but my mom bought me one and i sorta kinda play? i mean i know like 5 cords and have only ever played like 3 songs but cool that other people are getting into it! let me know it goes! and can't wait to read some of your lyrics! oh and read thru the comments and u mention mxmtoon and this'll sound crazy but i met her because she is my computer programming teracher's daughter and came to our school like last year i think? i haven't listened to many of her songs which i probably shoulddd buttt wow what a coincidence! anyway. stay safe, erin, keep writing!
    <3<3<3

• Sanjana Sunilkumar

re : my pleasure!

okay prepare for a long comment haha
    first--this piece is so so amazing!! it really captures all the feels for this new year.
    second-- yay! i was so so happy to see your name on my feed again! I hope your hiatus helped and that you are doing better!
    third--i didn't update you while you were gone ( i didn't want to clog up your feed haha) but i have posted a few chapters for Traitors and Rebels AND On the High Seas is almost at its end. The next chapter-possibly coming later this week-is the finale. i know you aren't back for good but i would love to hear your feedback on the story. you helped refine this story so much in the novel writing comp <3
    fourth--i can't wait to read some of your song lyrics!! there is a song writing comp coming up too! are you gonna enter?
    fifth--there is a discord server that has been made (Reigh has a link to it in her message board--or just ask for an invite if you wanna join) and we have already had a zoom call to "meet" each other. it was so much fun! i hope maybe you can join sometime.
    also...sixth (and lastly) i saw that riordan posted a new little short story but didn;t know how to read it in english! thank you! also i am so excited for the show. if you have insta, look up jorgebenitoforpercyjackson. he is a kid that is self-promoting himself to hopefully play percy in the upcoming D+ show. HE LOOKS JUST LIKE PERCY! its crazy. he isn't confirmed or anything but if you wanna see a real life percy check him out haha. you might find a pic on him online too not just insta.
    okay sorry for the long comment XD im done now ;)

Re: I love the prompt too!

I've been working on a song for like three months now for the comp, because I've always found it really hard to write a song (Because when I was younger, my poetry needed to rhyme, which resulted in very weird songs). But inspiration struck two weeks ago, and I can't wait for the competition to open.

Are you going to do the performance too? I would love to hear you sing!

• xx carolina xx

Re: Dude, he’s a different brand of hot - he’s an elegant sort of hot
    Btw, nice username change - I decided to give Queenie a rest

• sci-Fi

Re: haha just read it. It did feel different, but maybe it was the fact that I had to plug the whole story into google translate. Still loved it though. Nice to know demigods hate the pandemic also XD

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

Re: hehe, yuppers!! And haha, I bet he does like that!! XD But he’s so awesome at that!

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

Re: Hiiiiiiiiii!!!
    Thank you so much!! Erin, how are you?! Peeta is great thank you! How’s Dex?

anyone catch the mxmtoon reference?
    just discovered her joyous aestheticism and easy listening but also raw and emotional music

• sci-Fi

Re again: hey can you link the page plz plz plz???

• sci-Fi

Re: OH MY GODS.
    I hadn't heard about ANY of that???? Omg I'm checking his website right now. Fangirling SO hard. Tysm, you definitely made me feel better XD XD XD

Re: Oh the OG title was "I think you'd like to know I've taken you off of your pedestal" or something like that. Definitely not what I meant it to be.
    Yes, Ness is the best. (gah that was delicious to write). Love that phrase as a name for something btw.
    Thank you so muchhhh. ^u^