anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (says rosi willard)

Child of God
logophile
volleyballer

Female

see footnotes.
footnotes tell all.

#NEWYEAR (footnotes!)

2
"Don't read the last page / But I stay when it's hard or it's wrong or we're making mistakes / I want your midnights / But I'll be cleaning up bottles with you on New Year's Day / Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you / ... / Please don't ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize anywhere"

Gray skies out the window
I'm really starting to feel
That seasonal depression
Now that the holidays have passed

Hail was slanting across my lawn
The Christmas tree is long, long gone
Silver droplets keep dripping, dripping
Hanging like a crystal tear from every branch

But then I remember
It's no longer 2020
And even though nothing magically changed
It's the way you think about it
We're on a new horizon
Although the virus is not frightened by a change of date
Our hope is renewed again
Enough to carry us through this time

The old is gone, the new has come
Sunshine will show once more
We'll settle into a humdrum
Of familiarity

And we will not forget our past
We refuse to let it sink 
Deeper still into the caverns of our fear
After all,
2020
Was only 
Last year.

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-George Santayana
*A FEW ANNOUNCEMENTS*
Well... as you may have noticed, I AM BACK! (I say that like I'm such a big deal; cue sarcastic snort.) As my username says, I am slowly returning from hiatus. It was a welcome break for me, but I knew I didn't want to abandon WtW completely. 
I want to thank ALL OF YOU for the numerous kind and understanding comments on my last post before hiatus. You all are teens trying to live a life full of craziness too. Your support means so much. (I JUST WISH I COULD MEET Y'ALL!) 

Next, you probably noticed a new username challenge: #NEWYEAR. Stylized in all caps solely for my viewing pleasure. And because 2021 IS a big deal. This one is pretty open-ended and can be anything you associate with the new year. This will probably last at least through January and maybe February too, since Valentine's Day is way too specific and layered with unwanted complications. Or I might do something completely unrelated to the season/month until spring hits. (Autumn for you Southern Hemisphere writers.) By mid-March, the spring challenge will be underway. 
My username comes from Taylor Swift's song "New Year's Day," from reputation, which is also featured in the piece above.

Thirdly, I probably won't be on here all that often. I've got many other projects—one with an actual deadline. Although that's not for a few months. I also just decided that I want to learn how to play ukulele, since I have two just lying around. A cheap soprano that has always been mine, and a higher-quality tenor ukulele that belonged to my great-grandmother. I'm going to learn on the tenor, and I just tuned it today using the Boss Tuner app and an online ukulele tuner and a YouTube video. (I have almost no musical knowledge, just so you know. This is gonna be a heck of a journey. I have several guides and books on learning the ukulele, though, so I won't have to live off of YouTube videos.) I like to sing, but... My only hope is that you wouldn't scream at me to shut up and spare your ears. I really don't think I'm horrid, but I'm barely the ballpark of decent.

Finally, speaking of music... I have been trying my hand at songwriting. I actually did this several years ago, and I've started to come back to it. I've got a theme for the songs I want to write as well as an album name. It might be seen more as a poetry collection, but I have definite melodies for 2-3 songs right now. Working on it. I'll be releasing the lyrics on here once I you know, finish them. In the meantime, I'll probably just be republishing some stuff. 

Side note: For some reason, this kept trying to be a song in my head as I wrote it, even though the structure is not that of a song. It's more like lots of verses all together. And maybe a bridge. (That's partially why there are several rhyming lines.)
P.S. If you're a PJO fan at all, check out Uncle Rick's website under "News" for several exciting announcements about the PJO tv series and a short story featuring NIco and Percy in modern day (as in, the pandemic is occurring.) The short story is all in Italian, by the way. Google offered to automatically translate it.

All the best! Much thanks!

• Busssy.Beee

re: :))))) thank youuuu!!!

Welcome back!!! The poem is amazing!

And if you're getting some songs ready, there's a songwriting competition in February. I don't know how many are taking part (I am) but it would be cool to see your song! There's both a lyrics and performance prize.

And the ukulele! It's a beautiful instrument, and even easier to learn. I (When I was uneducated about the ukulele) bought a really horrible soprano one, but I would die to play a tenor or a concert one. There's a few really nice ukulele YouTube channels, like TheUkuleleTeacher and Elise Ecklund, to get you started. And most of Grace Vanderwaal songs are super easy to play on the ukulele.

Okay, I'mma find a way to change my username!

• Busssy.Beee

WELCOMMEEEEE BACKKKKKKK!!!!!!! good luck with your music!!! wishing you all the best!!!!
    oh and what a gorgeous poem!! the fifth stanza is so good, and is one of my favorites within this whole poem!! oh and also, this is kind of important!! i don't know if you know, but wisp started an event: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/210252/version/435933 You can check it out if you haven't yet!! Much love!!

• beth r.

so good to see you! great work, as always!