Lady Readsalot

We Hunt the Flame Review

"People lived because she killed... People died because he lived."
“We hunt the flame, the light in the darkness, the good this world deserves.”
    I think I’m not exaggerating when I say that this book CHANGED my life.
Firstly, this is the book that made me want to start blogging. I had never considered blogging before, but this book inspired me and I wanted to promote books that I think will inspire others. Also, this was the first time I ever used book tabs to find quotes that I like but I ended up putting a tab on almost every page!
    We Hunt the Flame is the First book in the Sands of Arawiya duology, a Young Adult fantasy inspired by ancient Arabia. Zafira Bint Iskandar is the Demenhune Hunter, she disguises herself as a man while she braves the Arz (a cursed forest) to feed her people, Nasir Bin Ghameq, is the Prince of Death, the crown prince of Arawiya... and its executer. He assassinates those foolish enough to speak against his father. If Zafira were to reveal herself as a woman in a land ridden with misogyny she would be shunned and reject. If Nasir dared to show compassion, he would face the most brutal of punishments from his father.
Zafira embarks on a quest to uncover an artifact, the Jawarat, that can restore magic and to stop the Arz from engulfing her home. However, Nasir is also looking for the Jarawat... and her. Their paths collide and they form a temporary and uneasy alliance, both with intentions to turn on the other, though they soon realize that there was more to this quest than they were told... and that there was more at stake than they previously though. With allegiances test and unlikely alliances formed, Nasir and Zafira start to realize that this quest was more than they signed up for... and they might not survive it. 
Why this Book is amazing and you should read it right away
1. The writing: From the beginning I loved the writing, it was just so pretty and poetic and made you want to keep reading. Shakespeare has absolutely nothing on Hafsah Faizal. Some of my favorite quotes include 
-   “Be as victorious as the name I have given you, and bring the desert to its knees.”
- “Maybe the tiny lions were merely ornaments, a display of pride for the victory over a man who defied men, only to be slain by women.”
- “But eyes couldn’t stay closed forever, unless one was dead. And the dead never dreamed.”
- “Together, we will raise the dunes from the earth, and rain death from the sky. Together, we are capable of anything.”
-“They'll tell stories about us, he had said.
There once was a boy with a future.
Until all he had left was his past.

- “A life without purpose may be no life, but a life without love is nothing but an existence.”
-“There was nothing more respectable and dangerous than a woman of confidence.”
-“Knowledge without action is vanity, but action without knowledge is insanity.”
 If Hafsah Faizal wrote an instruction manual, I would read it because her writing is THAT good. Something about the flow made the book almost seem lyrical, for lack of a better term. I was transported to Arawiya and didn’t want to leave when the book ended. I also loved the incorporation of Arabic in the story. I’m definitely not fluent in Arabic (I can barely hold a conversation for 5 minutes) but it was easy to understand and seeing it incorporated in the book made the book even better. I also used it as “Arabic Practice” so not only did I get to enjoy an amazing book, I now have an excuse to read instead of doing my Arabic class.
2. The story: This book is about a quest filled with magic and mystery. I honestly did not see some of those plot twists and was left gasping at certain moments. The book is filled with backstories, which I loved and it was done without stopping the flow of the plot. Also the character development was so good in this book, and as someone who loves character-based stories, this book was right up my alley!
3. The Romance. I absolutely love the romance between Nasir and Zafira blossom as the novel progresses. The enemies to lovers romance trope is by far the best and Hafsah Faizal does it amazingly well. The angst both the characters have, I could not stop reading! Now on to the characters!!!
The story is told by the 2 main characters: Zafira (the huntress sent on a quest to bring back magic) and Nasir (the prince of death who is sent to kill the huntress, Zafira). They had such unique and different voices so it was really easy to follow which POV it was at the time.
There is also the Zumra with Altair (a fan favorite for obvious reasons and no you cannot have him he is mine  ), Kifah (who I can’t wait to see more of in book 2), and Benyamin (the only adult in the group, but he's like a really cool adult)

Also, there is the mysterious silver witch ( I can never tell what she is going to do), the sultan (no thank you) and Yasmine and Deen ( who I need more of in the next book!!!!)
I recommend this book for fans of An Ember in the AshesSix of Crows, the Gilded Wolves, and City of Brass. If you like squad goals, unlikely allies, assassins, enemies to lovers, emotional baggage, and witty banter then this is for you. If you love world building, diverse characters, magic and mystery, and impossible plot twists, pick this book up now!

• January 20, 2021 - 1:43am (Now Viewing)