Delia Rune

-Born in NYC, half-Swedish, lived in Germany, currently in TX
-I love to write, read, sew, run, and bullet journal!
-16 years old

this is a POV from the perspective of a dream catcher. I don't think it makes sense so peer feedback would be great-- you can be harsh!

i'm not a dream catcher

6

You refer to me as your "dream catcher", but that's not what I am. I don't catch your dreams-- that's a job for your journal.
I'm here to collect your nightmares. 
Each night, I tirelessly filter and absorb all your dark thoughts from swirling around your mind as you sleep. Did you dream of burning at the stake last night? Being trapped in a room slowly filling with water? Or showing up to the airport naked? No? You're welcome.
I dream all the bad dreams so you don't have to. I let all your fears and shame flow through me. I experience all your hurt, and I never complain. 
I know I fill an important function, and it's a good feeling to know that my feathers and beads are being put to use; that I'm more than a hanging circle in front of your window to captivate your cats.
Still, I wish I knew what you were actually dreaming about. Night after night, I experience your fear and dread and pain. It's easy for me to imagine that that's all that you are-- a terrified little unconscious body. And, because all of me is made up of what I have saved you from, I worry that that's all I am: a hoop twisted with your yarn and fear. 
But I know you are more than that. Even though I only get to see your hurt, you must have sweet dreams. When I get a reprieve from your nightmares, I like to try and imagine them. Do you dream about acting? Or climbing mountains? Or driving down an endless road? I'll never know.
I'm so tired. Your nightmares keep me up at night-- I haven't slept in years. But I live for the hope that tonight could be the night you don't have any nightmares I need to take from you. I dream of a day where you go to sleep with nothing but sweet thoughts on your mind and not an ounce of fear. Maybe then I will finally get a break.
I'm okay with the lack of appreciation. I've accepted that you take my service for granted. But please, just don't call me a dreamcatcher. Call me a nightmare-collector or an anxiety-filter or, if you'd like, a hero, but don't taunt me by calling me the very thing I will never be able to do.
Thank you and goodnight. I hope you have sweet dreams.

1

• sci-Fi

....wow
    this is brilliant. wow. okay.
    i wish this was my nightmare-collector. Mine ignores me

• wallflower

Re: Thank you so much for that sweet comment, it means so much! I am so happy that you're recovering, it takes a lot of hard work to do that. The piece that I wrote was back during quarantine when it was at its worst and I feel myself slipping back so I wrote that to remind myself how bad it was. Thank you although and I hope your recovery is going well and stays that way. Much love <3

woah... i have - wait let me count - 2? 3? dreamcatchers (i mean, anxiety-filters) on my walls, and i like to think about them; how they capture the nightmares and where they put them and all that. i've never imagined one like this, though! wow, this is just.... brilliant. <3

• AJ - Izzy

this... is absolutely wonderful! i love the concept of a "nightmare-collector" and everything, wow, the tone that has this casual touch to it, but is also elegant and carefully (beautifully) thought out... I feel this piece in my soul as well, from experience. Absolutely amazing writing, it's nice to meet you :) <3 <3