crystalline•galaxies

Switzerland

tuffy
she/they
infp-a | 4w5

"i am made of memories."
-madeline miller, the song of achilles

“for victory is victory, however small, nor is its worth only from what follows from it.”
-j.r.r. tolkien, the children of húrin

"he was determined to discover the underlying logic behind the universe.
which was going to be hard, because there wasn't one.”
-terry pratchett, mort

little tea candles in brown paper bags | a happy new year

19
hello there! is it okay if i show you something?
sit at the top of the hill, right there in the middle of the street.
go on, sit down! there's no cars coming. promise.
alright, can you see the rows of houses clearly now? no?
come, get a little closer to me.
you see it now, right? yeah. now, i want you to follow my finger,
down a little. there! that's it!
yes, look right along the asphalt. don't touch your face to it, though! that's too far down.
look at the sides of the road. notice the little flickering lights?
i want to tell you about them.
the boxes you're seeing are actually paper bags,
filled a little with sand.
in every single one of them,
there sits a little candle, dutifully flickering and burning.
you see, every household on this street has lit one. 
each one holds the breath of a wish,
the merest whisper of hope for the next year. 
now, i want you to stand up. slowly, now. we don't want to slip. 
grab my hand, and let me guide you. 
let's walk down the street together,
and look at all the lights.
there's a lot of them, isn't there?
i'm sure we could walk for miles and we wouldn't run out.
there's a wisp of soul magic that holds them all together,
and to break the chain would mean breaking the trust all of these people have with each other.
some are burning lower;
we need to take our time around these ones,
wishing some of our hope onto the little flame. 
there's enough of it to go around, if we all share fairly. 
others are burning brighter;
when we go past these, take a little bit of the hope that's bursting in the bag,
and seal it away in your heart.
it's a gift they want you to take.
treat it well. 
we've finally finished the loop, and we're back at the top of the hill.
i think we've finished. it was a very pleasant journey, wasn't it?
please don't forget what you've witnessed tonight;
i'm sure it will aide you in the year to come.
for now, my friend, i will say goodbye and let go of your hand.
farewell!

my neighborhood did this thing for new year's eve/day. we all put tea candles in paper bags with sand on the bottom, then placed them at the end of our driveways to light up the street and welcome in 2021. 

Hi-

So, I was thinking a lot about Wisp's #januarygifting prompt, and I wanted to come thank you. You've been such an inspiration to me, and you're always so kind and encouraging! You're an amazing poet, and I look up to your work. I am always inspired by you. So, thank you for all of your comments and encouragement and kind words! it really means a lot to me :) I hope I can keep writing alongside you for many years to come!

Hope your new year is off to a wonderful start <333 Lots of love :)

• Wisp

Replying: Same here! My neighborhood doesn't really have that kind of tight nit community feel, and I kinda wished we did more as a whole, but it's alright. Athena!!! That is just so sweet I might actually tear up! Ahh, to think that I've had an impact on your writing in a positive way, gosh you have no idea what that means to me. Haha, that's alright, I have pretty small feet instead of hands though ;) Aww!! That's so sweet and it must be so fun spending time with the two of them! Thank you dear :) Your wishes mean a lot.

oh wow that sounds like a beautiful way to connect to your neighbors to welcome in the new year together. i wish we had that tradition instead of letting off obnoxious fireworks. that sounds so peaceful and beautiful and loving. can i say magical too? the sense of leading the reader to the new year is--ahh so so perfect!! the way you wrote this piece to describe this is simply amazing. i hope i will never forget it. wishing you a happy new year. but not just happy--i wish you a contented and learned year of fresh beginnings <3

• avoiding the big bang

the footnotes make this poem. thanks for sharing.

• Wisp

Replying: Ahh I actually already replied to your comment on Hangouts haha, but I'll still reply here of course. Your neighborhood sounds like an absolute delight! I've always dreamt of a neighborhood that had that kind of support/familiarity. Interacting with you has definitely been one of my highlights and I am so thankful that we interacted from that very first piece you posted. Oh gosh I hate getting my nails done. Every time I just end up peeling it off haha. My mom likes to drag me along with her and it's quite annoying, one time I actually sat in the back and dozed off. I can't even imagine how small your hands must be then! It's alright, it hasn't been as bad, but it just comes at the cost of my fingers haha. Wishing you lots of love Athena! (Ahh, you absolutely deserve one dearest)

• ava09 (sorta back)

my neighborhood does something similar to this too but we do it on christmas eve. :) really pretty piece though - i love how you use second person and really bring the reader into your world.

Oh! I feel like Anne Shirley because all I can do is exclaim how pretty this is and how it makes my heart fill up like a basket of flowers.

ahh this is just so happy and sweet and peaceful! this sounds beautiful. i feel like i really was there--and maybe i was, in a way :) love your work, as always! and the changes to your bio are beautiful, as well! :) love the new pfp.

lol i can't get enough of this piece imma go read it again byyeeeee

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

I also happen to adore your new pfp!!!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Wow! This piece is filled with such beauty and love! The tradition is so uniting, bringing people together and literally lighting up dark times. Wow. I love it!
    Re: thank you so much!!!! :)

This is such a wonderful piece! And the tradition behind it even more so!

• Wisp

Replying: Aww, I'm so glad you think so! Also, the piece isn't particularly dedicated to anyone, more of the WtW community as a whole. I was thinking of doing individual/more personal pieces dedicated to people later on in the month. (Yes, I'm talking about you ;))

• Wisp

Ahh I came onto your account to reply just as you posted this! That's besides the point, but anyways! This piece is glorious! The whole narrative is so on point and it's like this big warm hug to introduce 2021. And your imagery is just so intricately told here, so intricately combined and brilliantly created. It's actually as if I am on that rooftop with you and we are watching the candles that light up house windows from the roof. Also, did I tell you that idea is just one of the sweetest things I've ever heard? Absolutely adore it and your neighborhood sounds like such a delightful place! Love this piece and all its rich imagery!
    Replying: First off, happy new year Athena!!! It just hit 2021 for me 30 minutes ago so cheers to that! I'm so glad to have met you this past year and I'm thrilled that we've been able to connect.
    Second, yeah, I know I was pretty disappointed too. But whatever I'll probably submit it to a lit mag or something. Also, I hate getting my nails done. Every time the lady sees my nails, they always give me this look that just makes me want to shrink. Perhaps that's how this whole nail thing actually started?? I mean it's been years since they've been fully healed since my anxiety has been skyrocketing so I'm not quite sure. But anyways dearie happy new year! May this year treat you well and grant you smiles :))