sunny.v

southeast asian baddie!!
wtw community’s official older sibling
running off into the sunset with circe
april 27, 2020 - march 2021

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
resident knight

shy wave. happy new year’s!

letter to the ones going into 2021

24

dear all going into 2021: this year went about as well as my cousin’s birthday party, which is to say, most things were on fire, and we all collectively got steamrolled by a very large truck.

dear 2020: wow. not to juice the joke, but i think it goes without saying that none of us expected how much of a dumpster fire this year could be. i could list everything that happened here, but we’re all tired of it. so i’ll go into the real contents of this letter.

dear you: you made it. whether you were “”productive”” or not, i don’t care. despite everything, you survived. and that’s a feat in itself. it’d be a lie to say i think everything will change when we go into 2021, but—let’s cut ourselves some slack, yeah? you made it past this year. i am so, so proud of you.

this year, i made new friends, i joined new places, i did x and y and got my heart broken by x and y and learned how to x and y and x and y. i learned to keep friendships that were an equal amount of give and take, and distance myself from ones that were more take than give. i learned to not let myself be a doormat, and that i really like cheese covered tater tots.

but i learned something else.

this year, for 2021: learn how to forgive yourself. please. forgive yourself for not doing the thing you said you would over quarantine. forgive yourself for not keeping in touch with friends as much. forgive yourself for not finishing nanowrimo, or winning that contest, or getting published by that place. forgive yourself for not walking the moon and being as extraordinary as you said you would. and forgive others, maybe, when it’s deserved. 

forgive. despite all else, i think we deserve this.

it’s the new year’s soon. so with that: i wish us all luck. and a little bit of forgiveness.

hopefully, your love,
sunny v.
nonfiction lol uhh happy new year’s everybody. cheers! [glass clink of a non-alcoholic beverage] text that person you never thought you would. buy that thing. go see that place. but most of all, forgive yourself. (teehee)

• sci-Fi

hey sunny! i remember u saying that you're also in TX? If u are, i hope ur okay in this whole blackout-apocolapse thing. we just got our power back after all night without heat!
    hope ur doing okay :)

re: hello!! warms my heart to hear from you :)) thanks!! i've been submitting to a few different mags at random. which ones do you frequent? it's sad to hear that you've pretty much left the site, but it's understandable.
    i really don't have writing on any other platform - and i'm kinda notorious among my friends for having no social media haha - so sadly i don't think there's any other way to reach me...? idk. i *might* someday make an account on prose, just to stay in touch with some of the people there, but that'll be far in the future, i'm not nearly confident with my work enough!! :)
    hope i can hear from you every once in a while, if you ever pop on here for a bit :) as always, i hope you're doing wonderfully! hope life gives you a breather :) take a moment to notice the sky!! or something haha :) lots of love!! <3

hey i haven't heard from you in a while, just wanted to say i miss you and hope you're well :) lots of love from your little sibling <3

re: i'm proud to have such an awesome older sister!! :) your comment made me smile! love you, dear! and happy new year :)

hey it's me! so for the #januarygifting.i wanted to say how much your writing has taught me since i've first joined wtw.i was clueless about writing prose or poetry.you opened my eyes to so many different ways of writing.your work is always so beautiful. your pieces have made me feel better multiple times,just reading about the flaws and imperfections of life and that life isn't always what we went.ugh your work has taught me so much and has given me so many pleasurable hours.i also value your friendship so much and when you first started reaching out to me when i joined,i felt so apart of something and welcomed.your kindness is so admirable,you're always trying to help people on this site.you're so supportive.thank you for everything.i won't ever forget you or how your writing has influenced me<3

• Jasmine khawar

Happy new year!!! (Yes yes I'm late)
    I saw a "gorgeous" face on your profile...but it's not there now!! I miss it

Hi!

I don't know if you've seen it, but Wisp has a little prompt going around about thankfulness and stuff- here's the link, if you want to check it out: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/210252/version/435933.

The reason I'm writing this comment is because I want to thank you. You have been such a steady presence on here, always so sweet and uplifting. I know we don't chat all that much, but you've been such an inspiration to me. Every time I see you pop up on the dashboard or in my notifs, I have to smile, because you just bring such a happy vibe with you! Your work is ALWAYS amazing. Seriously. I wish I was on The Other Place, just so I could read more of it - but being here is enough for me :)

Anyways, yeah! I just wanted to let you know that you mean a lot to me, and you've really helped my writing journey. I hope your year has started out well! Lots of love! <3

• YWuserB

Well Jimmy and his sister are poopyheads

• lochnessie

no we miss your face!
    and re: hardly adorable

• lochnessie

I'M SO SORRY

• lochnessie

I MEAN COMPLIMENTS ARE NICE BUT NOT NICE NICE YOU KNOW

• lochnessie

and re: thankyou :)) compliments are hard let's talk about this very cool poem and okay i just objectified your (?) face in below comment so i'm going to have to deal with it WE ARE NOT OUR FACES OKAY AND COMPLIMENTS ARE NICE

• lochnessie

i really like this :)
    and also your pfp!
    i mean i was going to ask if it was you and then i was like -- wouldn't it be a bit weird to have someone else as your pfp -- and then i got all tangled up in the mysterious ambiguity of the internet and almost spelt mysterious as misterious because i was distracted -- and then i got caught up wondering if there was someone called Mister Ious and -- so whoever is in your pfp they have a very nice face :)

gah i don't know what to say

everyone already said everything down there vv

...

guess i'll just say i love this and i miss you and you're beautiful and glrijghiuliruh :D all my loveee

• kiranpark

listen, i might not be able to beat li's "feral victorian ankle man" opening sentence BUT
    i CAN copy and paste all of the lyrics to wap into this comment. i won't though. but neways- thank you for making the comments section of my insta posts spicy and talking me out of buying the boots that you said looked like clown shoes or something and being cool w me setting you up with a 24 y/o korean boy. ur the brightest sunshine around. take it easy my guy.

yay! happy new year! i'm echoing the comments below, but this is just such a joyful and uplifting piece, and seeing it first thing in the morning, i can't help but smile!

and your pfp is so nice! i'm assuming that's you, you're so beautiful!

• jun lei

ok ok first, your new profile picture. i went as feral as a victorian man seeing a lady's bare ankles for the very first time when i saw it. like damn, how tf are you so stunning. i'm not supposed to fall in love w you, but yk you're making it awfully difficult. (friends to lovers 100k?).

but also, i cried when i read this bc it was just. it was so sincere and i wish that everyone could read this & remember to forgive themselves. remember to take a breath & take a step back. live, & let that be enough.

sunny, i love you more than the moon, which is quite a lot of love as i'm chinese and gay and yk how infatuated we are w chang'e. but even she pales into comparison to you. you are so bright, and so beautiful, and so very loved. forgive yourself too, ok? you've done so much to be proud of.

all the love, calypso.

• mindfruit

oooooohhh cool pfp! I'm assuming that's you? if so, that's so awesome that you decided to do a face reveal :D

replying: it's a pleasure<3 oh okay AHHHH you look so different to what i imagined but AHHH you're so pretty! that's so cool that you're doing a face reveal:)

oh and happy new year lol!
    also i can't get over how much i love your profile photo.whenever i see it,i'm like darn it,it's so pretty and cool.and i know i can't see your face in it(i'm assuming it's you) but you look so pretty and i'm jealous of your hair.ngl all asians have perfect hair and i'm highkey jealous.anyways yeah that photo is so artsy. okay i'm being weird- bye darling

yes sunny you're my love,i love you. and i find it hard to believe,but i absolutely fall in love with every singe piece you write,like madly in love.i can't explain how much i love this piece,i agree with everything you said.i'm proud of you,i'm proud of all of us.<3

• serein

yes thank you for writing this! i agree one thousand percent!

• sci-Fi

woooo happy almost new year sunny! agree with mindfruit-- this is so motivational and uplifting :)

• mindfruit

nice piece chi! so uplifting and motivational :) especially the part about forgiving yourself. I think I need to do that a lot more lol. happy new year!

• erin!

hopefully?? you are definitely my love! happy new year <3