Yellow Sweater

(Formerly Zinniav)

I'm 17, interested in linguistics, mathematics, philosophy, theology, and history.

She/ Her | Bi | Disabled | Agnostic | Useless Intellectual | WA

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions.

I am primarily a poet, though I occasionally wade into prose and nearly always drown myself.

Listening to: Belle and Sebastian, Kings of Convenience, Jose Gonzales, Simon and Garfunkel, The Gentle Good

Reading: Albert Camus, Italo Calino, Robert Kaplan, Annie Dillard, Garcia Lorca, Hafiz, Ocean Vuong , Patrick Rothfuss, Teju Cole

Watching: Derry Girls, Madam Secretary, The Durells in Corfu, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

If you would like a review, just ask!

I am always looking for good new books to read. Suggestions are welcome!

Please, please, feel free to start up a conversation or debate in the comment section of any of my pieces. There is nothing I like more than intellectual discussion.

Sunflower Seeds (off of R.j.Elsewhere's prompt, warning: explicit imagery)

5
To write is to consume the sun. To stretch our fragile bodies until we hear the glass shatter. To exploit our belly-buttons for the puncture wounds they are.  

I cry like a baby. 

Sun, 
I desire you.  

Mediterranean headaches, 
hands pressed against my eyes. 
You turn blue into a turgid God, 
Sea sick on insubstantial light 
I undulate, puking words into the turquoise sea. 

Sun, 
I would make you solid.

I want to eat fistfuls of dirt and cherry blossoms, 
to surrender as you inflate my insides with your vastness. 
Full and alive, aching with a prayer of terrible gluttony,
the sun and I would skewer ourselves on kebab sticks still dripping with fat.  

But I settle for sunflower seeds. Bitter and salty like sweat, I place them on my tongue and spit, staining the page with a half chewed fetus.  

• Cosmogyral

re: are, are you...carding through all my one-liners??? XD

• Starlitskies

And also, Happy New Year! XD

• Starlitskies

Woah! Just whoa! Couldn't agree more with R.j.Elsewhere! This is beautiful. I love how sensual and candid the whole piece is.
    "Mediterranean headaches" This is unusually engaging. Amazing choice of words. Also, the imagery of kebab sticks made your piece come off unrestrained and rather bewitching!
    Re: Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment! <3

• Harzi

Re: thank you, thank you <3

• Harzi

Ah, the way you write is so soul-piercing! And, undeniably beautiful, too! "I want to eat fistfuls of dirt and cherry blossoms,
    to surrender as you inflate my insides with your vastness." This line got me at some way I don't understand, but feeling like I still do nonetheless. Also, love your choice of words here in this one!

• R.j.Elsewhere

What a beautiful and soulful piece!!! It’s raw like an open cut, but dressed so heavenly you almost forget the pain. Oh, and this line “But I settle for sunflower seeds.”. I absolutely died. That one line completely tied the whole piece together and set my world alight. To read this is to feel the longing and hunger writers feel every time we pick up a pen or open our computers...it’s sickly fascinating. A truly masterful piece. Thank you!!!