Stone of Jade

~ 17 she/her ~
Aspiring writer and artist. Completely awestruck by night skies. Apart of many, many fandoms ;) Reader, journaler, collector.
~ pilot pens and beat-up notebooks ~
for writers discord: https://discord.gg/ms6SvmYq

Chapter 7!!
I'm a little sad to announce that there is only one more chapter left. The finale is coming, the final showdown commences!

[if this is your first time reading, welcome! You can find the links to all prev chapters in the footnotes!]

How did you like this chapter? What do you think will happen next? How is the character development?
This is a brand new style of writing for me (weaving in the development and characters through flashbacks) so I really want to know what you guys think! All feedback is greatly appreciated. Comments are just as helpful as reviews!!

As always, LMK if you want to be notified for further chapters, or if you want to be taken off the list (no offense taken)

On the High Seas | 7

10
The Manta and her crew sailed steady all night. At dawn, Ladell woke to find the distance between them and The Fortune slowly shrinking. Millview won’t help us now, she thought as she changed the ships’ direction, now taking full advantage of the northeast wind. They sailed for another two hours, the distance between ships growing and shrinking in no particular pattern. The captain of the Fortune was a dangerous man, and he knew the seas well.  
    “Captain!” Marley yelled from the ratlines. “Shoal! Dead-ahead in 200 yards!”
    “Blast!” Ladell said, cursing herself. In her fear, she had neglected to watch for sandbars. This could have major consequences. “Avril!” she shouted. “Drop the anchor, starboard side!”
    They didn’t have much time. Tallis ran across the ship to help the first-mate. As Avril and Tallis hauled the anchor overboard, it crashed through the waves, spraying saltwater in their faces. The chains went tight as the anchor caught hold in the depths below. With a sudden lurch, the Manta buckled under the stress of the anchor. The whole ship rocked, tipping at an angle where the port side of the ship, instead of the bow, crashed into the sandbar. But it wasn’t enough to keep them in deep waters. White-tipped waves pounded the sides of the boat, pushing them farther into the small strip of shallow water. They were stuck. 
    “Captain! Orders?” Avril shouted, her voice barely able to be heard over the roar of the wind.
    Ladell’s mind raced. She couldn’t think straight. She was barely aware that Tallis was next to her. It was as if time slowed. 
    “This is it,” she mumbled. 
    Tallis, who was close enough to hear her, put his hand on her shoulder. “We can fight,” he said.
    “Tallis...he'll raise the red flag, he won't let us escape a second time.”
     “Don’t give up yet. Once you lose hope, you stop trying.” Tallis turned to the crew of the Manta. He could tell by their faces they knew their fates were already sealed. “We can do this! Get the cannons to starboard side! Prepare to fight! Let’s blow the Fortune and her captain into next week!” 
    “We can do this,” Ladell repeated. She wanted to believe Tallis, but Ladell knew what kind of man Captain Colborne was. Ladell wanted to scream and curse the universe for being so cruel. She had finally reunited with Tallis. After all these years, their little alliance was still going--they were still helping each other stay alive. Ladell had thought she didn’t regret her choice to split ways with Tallis, but she began to realize, she did regret it. She should have convinced Tallis to sail with her. But she hadn’t. She had just left

~~~
    After the Mayborne Job, Ladell and Tallis had escaped to the Ento Key. After their ship made port, Tallis had asked Ladell to settle down with him. To start a new life, together. But Ladell turned him down. They were young, eighteen at the time, but had gone through so much together that Tallis always figured it might stay that way. Ladell hadn’t agreed. She wanted more than a normal life. They had argued and both had stormed off. Ladell found herself thinking things through on the edge of a wall, overlooking the beach. The sun was just beginning to set when Tallis discovered her. He sat on the wall beside her.
    “It’s strange,” he said. “Strange to watching the sun set over a different horizon.”
    “I’m sorry Tallis,” Ladell said softly.
    “It’s okay. I shouldn’t have asked.”
     “It’s just...” Ladell sighed. "I don’t want to be stuck on another island again. I want to see places. To sail the world for all eternity, never stuck in one place.”
    “Do you have any plans as to where you’re off to next?”
    “I got a spot on a crew heading east. I don’t know where I’ll end up from there.” Ladell looked at her friend and gave a halfhearted smile. The sun cast a golden light across Tallis and a slight breeze ruffled his untidy hair. Ladell tried to memorize his smile, his eyes, even the cut across his cheek. She longed to freeze this moment in her mind. Ladell hated goodbyes. She had said so many in her life, but this goodbye seemed impossible. It was almost enough to keep her here, but the pull of adventure overcame even the hardest farewell. 
    “It’s not for forever,” Tallis assured her. “We’ll meet again.”
            ~~~

Tallis had been right. They had met again. They reunited on an island so far from where their paths had started. And now they were here--on the high seas--facing Colborne, together once more.

Here are the links to all the previous chapters!!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

• January 2, 2021 - 10:28am (Now Viewing)

• V-Rose

I love my little sailor/thieves! And I loved the memory, although, if/when you edit this, maybe think about connecting a little dread to the memory/after the memory. Like, she's about to give up, and even if Tallis had inspired her a bit, she's probably still freaking out and worried.
    Maybe something like: And they had met again. And they were fighting together again. She just hoped this wasn't going to be the end. That would really mess up the 'happy to see him' feeling.
    Maybe something like that...

Off to the next chapter!

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

AHHH i love them so much
    i'm going to chapter 8 now!

• Starlitskies

Oh the flashback is so heartbreaking! I love how you've used both narration and dialogue to bring out the emotion! And I adore how "on the high seas" fit into this chapter!!! XD I saw that you've published the last one as well! I'm gonna go read it!!!!
    Re: I understand how character building can be hard sometimes. Even I find it challenging. And I'm guessing the pirate fact is the one about the shoal? Guess I'll find out in the next chapter! :)

• Yellow Sweater

Re: It's on WTW. Thank you so much!

• Yellow Sweater

Re: Also, I have been looking for a Washingtonian to read a piece I wrote recently called "Recording the Emptiness" My characters are a bit trope-ish, but they are very much WA tropes. I would be curious to hear what you think. Only if you have time, no pressure:)

• Yellow Sweater

Re: ahh! really! My grandma lives in Edison!

• chasing sunsets

Sooo good!! And obviously you're so talented when it comes to this story ;) I love seeing more of Tallis and Ladell's relationship unfold as they face whatever the next chapter brings. I'm sad to see it end, but I can't wait for the next chapter!

• books4life

re: so it's supposed to be sent in ancient greece but it is widely inaccurate history hahaha! i guess like modern ancient greece---with all the gods and stuff. :) idk if you read a lot of greek heroes, but its inspired by that etc.

• Yellow Sweater

Re: Thanks for the comment! And it's so fun to find other Washingtonians. I am out of the peninsula, but I was born on Orcas Island and still kind of consider it my for lack f a better word "spiritual" home:) What about you?

• books4life

ahhhh this is fantastic!!! I'M OBSESSED!!!! * whoops misspelled that* it's ending---noooooo. the character development is STUNNING! :) also chapter 13 will be published in a few minutes so be on the lookout!

Re: Gurrrrlllll you're too sweet! Tysm, I really appreciate it <33 Ooooo ik you've got over 200, but congrats anyway <3 You are an incredible writer 0_0

Aaaaaah this is so amazing! Nuuu only one more chapter? *sadness*

• wil

hm, mabye they'll fall in love. can't wait to see what happens!

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

Please, please, please, please, please tell me there will be another chapter! I can't live without it coming. Keep on writing!

• AliMuscles04

Amazing as always! I can't believe that it's almost over :(

• V-Rose

Re: Yay! We're getting an idea of who's interested and then we're going to try to figure out when would be best for everyone. It'd be for five days and for an hour or two each day.