Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

My Grey

3
Where I live, both the sea and sky are grey. The clouds collect in our cups. Mirrored in dichotomy, monotony dances, revealing the subtle irony of divine humor.  We drink tea. 

We can only contemplate infinite. By defining our melancholy, we make it finite. 

God, You are bitter-sweet. Whole. Made of a dense, dancing, emptiness. I pour You into me like hot water and I wait to feel the colors. 

Under heavy blankets, hovering amidst insubstantial blue, I watch the achromatic light evolve as the morning flattens and deepens. I wait for grey.

• Starlitskies

Re: Thank you!

• Starlitskies

Woah! This is so so beautiful!!! There are so many lines that I absolutely love!
    "The clouds collect in our cups." This is so beautiful. I can picture wispy clouds collecting over a steamy cup of tea. And how you ended that paragraph with, "We drink tea.", that is stunning in simplicity. Three words that speak volumes.
    "I pour You into me like hot water and I wait to feel the colors." This is such a wonderful concept, and I absolutely love how you've worded it. Overall, a breathtaking piece! <3
    Re: Thank you so so much for your comments on both my pieces! And for following me! This piece is obvious proof that you're a great writer as well! And might I just add, I just turned 17 today, and it's so nice that I hit 40 followers today as well! Thank you for being the 40th! You truly made my day! <3

re: Shoot sorry I think my wording was a little off. I did not mean that Catholicism is the oldest religion (it definitely isn't Judaism came way before and that is only one example) I did actually mean that it was the oldest denomination. Catholicism (as gar as I know) was the only Christianity before the Great Split. The other denominations came after that.
    I also might be wrong--this is from my understanding!

• julia*

this is so pretty i love how the title matches the writing so perfectly