~madeline~

euphoria fashioned from stanzas of

disillusionment

est. 8.19.20

madeline3.14159

'we meet no ordinary
people in our lives.'
~c.s. lewis~

I don't want to write something I can be proud of.

I don't want to write something I can be proud of. Maybe I've already done that. I want to become proud of something I've written. I want to learn to cast away doubts and fear and appreciate my writing for what it is, not for what other people think about it. I want to be able to trust my fingers on the keyboard and my pencil on the paper and know that if I like it, that's all I need. I already can turn on my inner critic, I want to be able to turn it off. To read a poem of mine without hating it. To be able to read through a non-fiction piece without doubting about whether I should actually post it. I want to be able to overflow the floodgates of doubt with my writing. I want to write something I can be proud of and learn to be proud of what I write. I want to free the wings of the eagle in my soul. 

• Celine Teh

Perfectionism stops a writer thriving.

• Avril

This is SO encouraging! Thank you for writing this :)

• Minvra

This has given me a lot of thought. At first I was confused in "I don't want to write something I can be proud of." and "I want to become proud of something I've written." In a way, I haven't thought about that. Then I realized what was so different in the second; being universally proud of anything you've written. Even if it's the outline. Then again, I don't need to repeat to you what you already said.

As strange or understandable as it is, I kind of feel comfort that I'm not the only one feeling this way. I mean I heard/read directly what authors said in their development; experiencing this. Procrastinating and me wondering if I have a passion for writing if I'm procrastinating and days turning into weeks. Or if I'm forcing it. I think, in one of my conclusions, it's difficult to imagine an author experiencing this because it's surreal. They're an established author. We never really witnessed them experiencing the same problems.

And then I realize I'm comparing myself. And then I sometimes realize, that when we hear it from others that our writing is good, it's only a spark of less self-despise, but it makes us feel better. If only briefly. Then it feels sour when we say "it could be better". And I realize it's not just the approval of others, but also our own approval we need. Look at this, funny how when one says one truth, another spouts another truth about themselves.

I think we need more people like this, more artists like you. Willing to bare their truths-embarrassing or not or fearing we will offend another. And I realize when Amanda Gorman said poetry is political, it's so true. And look at me, writing paragraphs in the comments section.

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Hi, Madeline! Sorry I’m a bit late, but CONGRATS ON WEDNESDAY WORDS! You deserve it! And the recording of you reading it was GREAT!!!

• In Which Yaya Writes

Wow, great job Madeline! I like the difference between the two sentences that use the same words, if you get what I mean. I think every writer needs to be able to love something they write. This is a great piece and congratulations on being featured!

• Ag.A

This is a beautiful piece that I feel like so many people can relate to. Congrats on Wednesday words (even though you might have already been told that multiple times)

• wavewriter

The metaphor in the last line is just beautiful. Congrats on Wednesday Words!!

• Zirong

wow I really love the idea in this piece. Congrats! :)

• Jasmine khawar

Congratulations!! You deserve it

Congrats!!! :)

Congratulations on Wednesday Words! This is such a beautiful piece, and has such a deep meaning. Great job!

• anemoia by a thread

Wow. I went and reread those first few sentences and it blew me away.
    Hey I actually know someone who got Wednesday Words! Congrats!!! This is such a powerful inversion of a popular phrase. And that inversion makes it more striking and true.

• Laasya Kompella

So good and congratulations!

Oooohhhh I love it! Congrats on Wednesday Words!

I saw this first featured on instagram and knew I HAD to come read the rest of it!!! This is gorgeous!! so so powerful--so strong and packed full of meaning. GOSH. congrats on wednesday words. im sure is only the first of many amazing pieces you are going to be featured for.

• Rose A(hiatus)

This is a great piece! It's lovely and wonderfully written and inspiring. I'm hoping that you'll be able to complete your resolution!

Congratulations on Wednesday Words! I'm so happy for you! You totally deserve it. :)

• sophie_simile

Congrats on Wednesday Words!! I love this piece so much and the universal truths that you acknowledge. Beautifully written and inspiring :)

congratulations on wednesday words,you deserve it!

• ~Zoe N~

congrats!! I am so proud of you!! <3 I hope you are doing well :)

• rwong

congrats on wednesday words!!!! well deserved <3 <3

Congrats on being featured!

• sci-Fi

Congrats on Wednesday Words!!!

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

<3 congrats!

amazing work madeline! and congrats on wednesday words! haven't interacted with you in a while-- how are you doing?
    <3<3<3

• ???

congrats on wednesday words!!! this piece is amazing!!! :))

congrats on being picked for wednesday words - this piece is awesome and definitely deserves it :) love this!! <3

replying: haha. well i have to go sleep but i'm sure i'll see more of you now.it was fun talking;)

• mindfruit

re: ah, nice! I agree, you can only hold onto a pfp for so long before it starts to get dull. and thank you about my pfp! just wanted to spice it up a little heh. I've just realized that I've never seen what you looked like until today. glad I can see you now!

replying: EXACTLY I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND

• mindfruit

Re: aw thanks! I'll make sure to include those questions. and yes, Rhythm of War! only halfway thru the book, but it's sooo good (thank you mr Sanderson). nice quote in your message board, btw. oh, and cool pfp! I'm assuming that's you?

• anonymous_123 [Child of God]

I can happen! You will be able to do that as long as you trust yourself <3

replying:yeah i agree! oh that's so cool.ya it's the best feeling after you finish a book and you cam talk about it with someone who read it for HOURS haha.

replying: yeah there are but still not enough to be honest though...there are certain topics that i don't like to appear in my books that are found in many sci-fi,fantasy or romance books so sometimes it's hard to find.but luckily i have an older sibling who is a book worm so she hands me down all the book recommondations so i barely need to investigate lol

replying: lol yeah,every time i finish one book,3 more are added to my list.but hey,i'm not mad about it lol

replying: oh that's nice to hear that trials of apollo is cool.yeah i agree both series are just too good and percy is hilarious at narrating.:)

replying: i've only read Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus, oh and i've read the greek heroes book which was cool to read more about greek mythology. but i ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND AM OFFICIALLY THE BIGGEST FAN OF PERCY JACKSON AND HEROES OF OLYMPUS. i don't kniw if they are considered as 2 different series but i couldn't possibly choose,they're too different. i decided i wanted to read trials of apollo so i bought the book but haven't started reading it,is it as good as pj? what are your favourite rr series?

also i LOVE rick riordan too lol

woah i needed this so much so thank you.a great piece! i believe we can all do it,just takes time and effort and confidence that we need more of<3

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

This is very insightful and meaningful, it's such a positive outlook on writing!

• Starlitskies

This is stunning! I love the first two sentences. The turn of phrase is so powerful! And the metaphors you've riddled throughout your piece are really beautiful!
    Also, beautiful pfp! And every time I read you username I go, 'madeline3.14 *Ha! The Pi numbers* 159'. Haha! Just thought I should mention. :)

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

Love your pfp!!!

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

You can do it. WtW will support you all the way! :)

Oh, I absolutely believe you can do it!

• Dragonfly

I really like, how you twist that sentence "I want to be proud of what I write" (not the other way around). I also love the line "I want to be able to overflow the floodgates of doubt with my writing" gorgeous!

• midnight.summerrose

So true and amazingly written!! :)