Stone of Jade

~ 17 she/her ~
Aspiring writer and artist. Completely awestruck by night skies. Apart of many, many fandoms ;) Reader, journaler, collector.
~ pilot pens and beat-up notebooks ~
for writers discord: https://discord.gg/ms6SvmYq

The sea adventure continues!!!! What did you guys think of this chapter? Any predictions on what is going to happen next? All feedback is greatly appreciated. Your comments are so so encouraging <3

Is this the first time you are reading? I'm happy you found this story! If you want to read from the beginning, all the links to prev chapters are in the footnotes.

LMK if you want to be notified for further chapters, or if you want to be taken off the list (no offense taken)

On the High Seas | 6

10
The next morning, Tallis woke at dawn. He headed above deck just as the sun began to rise. The morning was beautiful. A warm, pink light scattered across the sky, throwing shining waves against the sides of the Manta. He could see the rippling silhouettes of mysterious creatures as they swam in the depths below. The creak of the wood and the salty sea air gave Tallis a sense of adventure. 
    “Where are we off to today?” Tallis asked, joining Ladell at the helm of the ship. 
    “We have a steady wind blowing east. Millview Port is about a day away in this direction. We’ll stop there, and make sure to shake anyone who might try to follow us.” Ladell tossed a teasing glare at Tallis.
    “I’m assuming by anyone you mean Colborne?”
    “He knows how I sail. The best chance to avoid him is stopping along coasts, completely random. Hopefully we had enough of a head start.” 
    “You have a beautiful ship,” Tallis said, running a hand over the carved woodwork of the railing. 
    “And it takes a lot of hands to keep it that way,” Ladell said. “Speaking of which, I do need your help. Find Marley and help her with the sails. We need to take full advantage of this wind if we hope to stay ahead of Colborne. 
    “Aye, aye, captain,” Tallis said with a sly smile.

They sailed all day. As the sun began to get lower in the sky, the wind began to blow slightly north. However, Ladell decided to keep the Manta pointed East. It slowed their progress, but Millview Port was their only hope to throw Colborne off their trail. Just as she began to believe they had gotten out of harm's way, Ladell heard Avril call out a warning.
    “Captain!” Avril shouted from the crows nest. “Ship comin’ astern!”
    Ladell ran to the right of the ship and scanned the horizon. There, black against the setting sun, sailed a tall ship, which loomed high above the waves. The ship was decorated with the figurehead of a Basilisk; the serpent's long body wrapped around the bow. Ladell recognized the figurehead at once. It belonged to a ship that had hounded them nonstop; a ship whose captain was the most powerful, stubborn, and richest man that had ever walked the earth. It was the Fortune, the prized ship of Captain Colborne. 

Fear gripped Ladell. Not again, she thought. 
    “All hands about! Prepare tacking!” Ladell ordered. Avril raised the alarm. The rest of the crew took to their stations. Ladell spun the wheel so they angled away from the ship approaching. With a little luck, Ladell thought, we can keep out of range
    “What’s wrong?” Tallis called to Ladell, rushing up the stairs to the stern-castle. He could tell Ladell was nervous. She gripped the wheel tighter. 
    “It’s Colborne,” Ladell said curtly. “He’s gaining, but we might be able to postpone the fight. We have the smaller vessel.”
    “What can I do?”
    “Go help Corrin! Get the cannons ready and in position!” 
    Tallis nodded and ran to the main deck. 
    “Marley!” Ladell shouted. “Marley, get a few others! Start dumping anything not needed!” 
    Although it was a small ship, the Manta was a fast one. Ladell sailed her strong, but she knew the limits of her loyal vessel. She knew she could only delay the inevitable one more time.

Here are the links to all the previous chapters!!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

AHHHH

• wil

aw man, he found them. Looks like they'll see some action!

• Starlitskies

Re: That's super cool! I haven't watched Treasure Planet, but I'm a fan of Pirates of the Caribbean (some parts of the movie gross me out, but, well that's pirates! Haha!) Can't wait to see what the pirate-fact-Pin was about! Lmk when you do write it in! I'll try to guess it! XD
    Definitely agree with you on that! You need both real experiences and imagination when writing great fiction. Even I like world building but my personal favourite is giving backstory to characters. I like knowing the smallest things about them. :)
    Anyways, can't wait for the next chapter! And happy new year! <3

• Starlitskies

Oh my! This is transfixing! The chapter flows smoothly and the details are, once again, intricately beautiful! Your knowledge about the anatomy of ships and language of the sailors really shows in this excerpt. I admire how you've taken time to learn those things, they make your story way more heartfelt and engaging. Are you usually interested in pirates and sailors or did you learn just for this? Either way, bravo! The ending line gave me chills! I can't wait to see what happens next! :)
    Re: I'm sorry I took some time to reply. I wanted to properly enjoy this. And thank you so much for your comment on my piece! <3

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

This is so good! Wow. What will happen next? I can't wait until the next one! Keep on writing!

• lochnessie

I HAVE SO MUCH TO CATCH UP ON
    ok so i kept meaning to reply and come read and then EXAMS and then CHRISTMAS and then LIFE
    but i will be reading
    allllll through the new year
    and also i'm on the blog hello!

• Rose A

re: yeah, that is kind of weird. I'll probably change it before I submit it. Thank you so much!
    btw, I'll make sure to come back and read this later! I don't have that much time rn, but I wanted to respond to your kind comment. Thanks again!

• AstroWriter

Re: What do you mean by personify? lol

Aaaaaa awesome! I'm getting super strong Narnia vibes here ^_^ Re: Awe tysm! Yasss the ocean is the best! You're soo lucky you lived across from it <3

• chasing sunsets

Just in time for the new year, I've got another chapter of A World of Our Own out!!

• chasing sunsets

Ahhhhh! The details are AMAZING! I forgot a lottt of this story and can't wait to read it all again!!

Re: Thank you so much!!

• books4life

the suspense!!! i cannot take it! :) great chapter

• V-Rose

Re: It's fine. I understand.

I love the way she commands the crew. Not ruthlessly or cruelly but as a team. It's really cool! I hope she can avoid Colborne this time, but I know a confrontation is coming!

• AliMuscles04

Aaaahh! I love it!!