Starlitskies

Sri Lanka

She/Her
17
INTJ
Reader and Writer
Feminist
Coder

Go check out my WtW twin sister Zirong! She's amazing!

Scribble Chums with remi'sgotinkstains, useless :) and em wilder.

est. 26 Oct 2020

I know this might be late, early or just on time because of the time zones, but I hope you receive it well either way... Happy New Year! May you step into 2021 with hope in your heart! <3

Stepping through the curtains of time (Message board!)

Dear 2020,

It began towards the end of your life, one December evening. A place where it was too early to make plans for the coming year and too late to make plans for the ending. At this impasse, all one was left to do was stare into one's cup of tea and ponder the philosophies of life. I found myself doing exactly that, but tea is generic and I had Earl Grey in my cup, and of all the philosophies there was to mull over, my thoughts led me to one of time.

You see, 2020, time is a concept. It's a word we use to make sense of the action of always moving forward. It's an abstraction we treat as a concrete existence to bring the meaning of life a fraction nearer. It's a comfort to the human mind to know that time is solid. That it exists in the seconds, minutes, hours, and days. It's a comfort to know that time is nothing more. Nothing more than how old we are, nothing more than how long the scones were in the oven, nothing more than the gentle ticking of the clock. Nothing more. 

And 2020, I lost myself in these musings. The tea that promised to assist my pondering ran cold between my fingers. So, I stood it on the table and warmed my hands by the fire. But, I didn't stop staring. My musings were not complete. I pondered until the minuscule tea leaves that stained the water sank to the depths of my cup. Some leaves held onto its inner wall. My cup was not square. Nor was it oval. My cup was circular, and the leaves formed a brown ring much like an O. Much like my mouth, the geometry of my lips when I realized I didn't research.

So I did, 2020. And I found something in all that research. I watched person after person react to this belief of time. I watched them light candles to celebrate their birthdays, I watched houses burn down when the scones expired their stay in the oven, and I watched, in surprise, how when the clocks stopped ticking, the people made them tick again. Who would want to be reminded that time is nothing more? Nothing more than this continuous existence. No distinctions.

2020, when time is stripped from our lives and we are left with the blurry limits of the rising and setting sun, months and years are non-existent. New Years' is just another dawning day no different than the one that ended. There is no reason for today's problems to disappear, or for things to magically become better. And still, when all was the same, the people celebrated. They celebrated the new year with fireworks. And while I stared at them enjoy something that only existed in their beliefs, and was never justified by the rules of nature, I saw it. 

I saw it, 2020. I saw it in the eyes looking up at the fireworks at midnight on New Years' when the people stepped through the curtains of time. I saw it in the eyes too young to make sense, in the eyes wrinkled at the corners, and I saw it in every pair of eyes in between. You know what I saw 2020? I saw hope.

So, 2020, you might think that you've defeated us. You might think you've left us on our knees. But for the 1.81 million lives that you're taking away from us, know that we shall rise with hope 1.81 million times. And while there's no certainty that things may become better when the new year rolls around, we shall still have hope. And just like we grounded something that didn't exist, made it a tangible ticking clock, we will hope to manifest a better future. 

We will hope, 2020. We will hope. 

Goodbye,
Starlitskies.
Write a letter to 2020. (by Dmoral)

Originally published - 31.12.2020: 2130 
                                                           (Only 2 and a half hours away from 2021!!!) :D

• Zirong

Heyyy I sent an email to u last night. Just wondering whether u’ve received it(I’m very scared that I typed the email address wrongly haha even though I’ve checked a lot of times XD)

re: Treasure Planet is so great! its a little different than the "traditional" pirate story. it quickly became one of my fav disney movies XD
    yea i love creating the backstories, altho that is one part where i am still working on. i have trouble creating characteristics that aren't me--because i can relate to the characteristics more easily than ones i dont have. for my dystopian story on here i am working on creating a deeper character development than my usual "short and sweet" stories.
    i wrote in the new fact a littl ebit here (a very quick mention) but i plan to add a little more detail/history in the next chapter (which is also the finale).
    speaking of the next chapter of On the High Seas--i just published 7. here's the link ;)

• Zirong

OMG I love this piece sooo much!!! My favourite lines are as below:
    1. "2020, when time is stripped from our lives and we are left with the blurry limits of the rising and setting sun, months and years are non-existent." YESSS this is so relatable and l like the phrase "the blurry limits of the rising and setting sun"!
    2. "I saw it in the eyes too young to make sense, in the eyes wrinkled at the corners, and I saw it in every pair of eyes in between." This is so well-crafted and the message conveyed is profound!
    3. "But for the 1.81 million lives that you're taking away from us, know that we shall rise with hope 1.81 million times." I love how you use the number. This line is really powerful!
    4. "And just like we grounded something that didn't exist, made it a tangible ticking clock, we will hope to manifest a better future." I can only say "WOW". This is absolutely a magnificent ending line and I really love how you transition "time" on which the first half of your piece is centred to "hope" which takes the depth of the whole piece to the next level! Good job! And wish you a blessed year ahead! <3<3<3
    re: thank u for your sweetest comment, as usual :) Happy New Year !

• ava09 (sorta back)

oh also - happy new year!! ;)

• ava09 (sorta back)

aw this is beautiful, honestly. i love how how you keep saying "2020" - it's like you're using their name and invoking it to make it more personal.
    replying: thank you. i do feel better! <33

Re: Thank you, that's what I was hoping to achieve!
    Happy New Year!!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: aww! Thank you so so much! Your comment is so sweet!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!! (I’m not sure exactly what time it is there.....)
    And aw, of course! Yes, this is a pretty amazing community. Have an awesome day!!

• Dragonfly

Very beautiful writing!! I love how you do not exactly focus on 2020 itself, but the way people cope(d) with it. Also the descriptions and the structure are perfect!
    Happy new year (though I'm a bit late...)

Wow. This is really well-written. From the slight repetition to the mood of introspection to the tangible description, every felt so *good*. Happy New Year!

• Yellow Sweater

Incredible. I have been reading a lot of creative essays recently and this is honestly publishable. Your thoughts flow so well. You made me think, but I was with you the whole time because you also made me feel.

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Wow. Wow wow wow!!!! This is stunning!!!!!!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!! (Even though it’s only the morning of New Year’s Eve here!)