Paisley Blue

she/they | 6.2.2020
genderfluid | christian

i told the stars about you

feedback is great, i might submit this somewhere someday or something

;)

grandma carol's house

29

i'd lay awake on the living room floor, small legs tucked into
a giant, warm sleeping bag. i was safe, there, with my sister sleeping next to me--
i was safe. i remember listening to
the low whoosh of the cars on the long road outside, rhythmic and halting.
it was like a lullaby, the way someone somewhere was still awake.
her carpet smelled slightly dusty, and the little angel nightlight glowed,
giving off a halo of warm, yellow light. i listened to my sister breathe.
i lifted my eyes to the windows that looked out on the road, and
i watched the moon, looking down at me. he smiled and i sighed,
looking at the place on the ground where he etched windowpanes
in bright, white light on the carpet. it was quiet, i remember,
and the air was still. i could hear the whole house, the rumble of the refrigerator and
the sighing of the floorboards as the house fell asleep.
i remember how everything looked gray from behind the veil of darkness, even
with the moon shining through the windows; the old, purple recliner was seeped of it's hue,
the keyboard and the wooden doors and the lamps on the end tables;
everything was asleep but me. it was chilling, being the only one awake.
i remember waiting for the sun to rise because i couldn't bear closing my eyes, not when
everything was so beautiful. i remember dreading falling asleep, for fear i'd miss
the next car that went swishing by. i remember my young eyes traveling over everything,
reading the story of a life that had long since passed by.

and then i'd open my eyes and realize that the moon had traded places with the sun,
that my sister was still sleeping next to me and grandma still resting on the recliner
i'd climb out of bed and reach for the books she always kept -- old, faded books with large words,
telling stories of hippos and ants and friendly ghosts. i'd brush my fingers over their softened covers,
corners rubbed away. and i'd wait eagerly for my sister to wake up; waiting patiently
until we could start another day.

little poem about my childhood memories about my grandma carol's house and what it means to me :) i have many, many more stories about her house -- the way we'd always tell her we were hungry just as she'd tuck us in so she'd give us a little bedtime snack... the way my cousins and i would huddle at the end of the hallway and whisper about this or that, and throw stuff down the old laundry chute... the way we explored her unfinished basement and made up stories about being trapped inside of a labyrinth... the way we played in the woods behind the house and built forts made out of sticks we found... i love my grandma carol's house. it's been really hard not being able to go in or see her during quarantine, and i get really sad every time i think about spending christmas without her. :( so... yeah. that's all :) if you think i should write more poems about the memories i have above, just lmk! i'm interested to see whether you all are interested ;)
hope you're all doing well <33 love you all!

• Max_Love19

"reading the story of a life that had long since passed by. and then i'd open my eyes and realize that the moon had traded places with the sun"
    I love that line! very poetic and beautiful. Nice job!

• lochnessie

oh this is beautiful.
    so i came to let you know i was on the blog and then i was like AA she's on HIATUS and i hope you're doing good :)))

• crystalline•galaxies

i love how you claim to be more of a carpenter, and yet you write such smooth things as this. this is such a gorgeous piece; it feels so homey and safe.

• happygiggles

replying- Thank you, that means so much! I was nervous about trying the new rhyme scheme and I'm glad you think I pulled it off! The poem I first saw it used in was Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening by Robert Frost, it's such a gorgeous yet short piece of poetry, I highly suggest you check it out if you find time! I am well indeed, I sincerely hope you are too! (:

• Jason_claire :)

I love the old memories, it feels so good to remember a nice past. I think it'd be amazing to read more things like this :)
    replying- hahaha, thank you! I thought it'd be funny and cool to have to people on the same thread of thoughts.

replying: aww i conpletely understand<3<3 taking time for yourself is the most important. i agree,writing on paper always helps my mind flow better:) anyways take your time and enjoy yourself.and don't worry about replying to this comment<3

• Caleb Urlacher

re: I have a physical copy in my room actually lol. Amazon provides all the printing. It doesn't cost any money either, of course Amazon still is making a lot of money with their margins, so they've probably made hundreds off of me lol.

nsgdbjdbdj HIATUS i didn't see that. are you okay?! hope you are<3
    also maybe this is just a time management thing,if so,don't stress.i totalky support you if you need a break<3

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

Re: Thank you so much. Your comments mean a lot to me.

• Karma’s_Coming

re: thank you so much for the kind words. It’s incredible when someone is that kind about a subject I’m so scared about, it just makes me so happy. Thank you so much.

• happygiggles

re- Thank you! I am well, I hope you are too! <3

This piece is beautiful, it sounds like your Grandma is someone you cherish dearly! (:

• kai blue

i'm sorry that you aren't able to see your grandmother... i get the feeling. it's really hard. but i mean at least we get some dope poems out of it.... :)

• Simply|Existence

I thought this was an amazing poem about your memories and I love how you give such a descriptive feel. You made the poem come to life, and it's really cool.
    replying- They're 11, it'd probably be better if I brought it up when they're older, but I'm so tired of not being able to talk to them about relationships and middle school dramas yet. I guess if I wanted that it'd be better if I got sisters, but shrug. Yeah, thank you for the help though, maybe I'll just wait a few more years . . . .

replying: aw thank you so much!

Re: Oh yay I made you laugh. ^u^ And it's no problem! We'll take ya in whatever amount we can get with you still being a functional being. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Re: Lol finally I'm the one to comment on something first and steal *your* words instead of the other way around! *cue evil cackling*

jk jk i'm just fake petty

re: me to. to everything in your comment. we clicked! i feel the same way! you... you are my mirkat? that makes literally know sense but i guess everything i am to you you are to me? you are my paisley blue and you are funny and kind and thoughtful and empathetic and kind, so kind, and i don't have the words for you. or grandma carol for that matter! XD thank you. you are one of my closest friends here, too, and i am so glad we somehow met... there are like 7 billion people on this world and stuff ( i know i am so good at profound eloquent language when i'm all emotional lol) but we met here and clicked and thank you beyond belief!
    <3<3<3

• Rachaelgrace

I love this so much. I feel like I get to expirience the memory with you which is awesome. I'd definitely be interested in more like this <3

• Landofstories

re: thank you so so much!

• midnight.summerrose

Wow!! This is amazing! I'm lost for words! Gaps, just utter talent pouring from these words! :) The imagery, language, just everything is just astounding!! <3
    I'm back from the dead lol :)

ahhhhhhhhhhh the imagery! the the emotions! so so so brilliant and beautiful and i want to crawl into my computer screen and arrive at grandma carol's house and like watch your eyes dance across the living room and hear the cars and oh my gosh i lovee this piece so much! i guess it's just full of things that are both seemingly relatable and at the same time out of touch.... like i remember a memory like this but it wasn't at my grandma's house and i also just know i could never have this-- the days of staying awake at night in wonder or over now it's just stress and i always wished to build stick forts and why am i rambling so much!? wellllllppp i love this peicee soooo much and like dee said i wanna friend-marry you so your grandma carol could be mine, too! XD and yes please write more about your memories there!!!!!!!!!!! blah quarantine messessss upp literally EVERYTHING! okkkk have an amazing day! i know this piece is a good start to mine!
    <3<3<3

Awww this is so sentimental but without feeling sappy or silly. Lovely.

• Quirky_Chaos

Love this!!! I think this is so fun and playful. I just saw that you commented on one of my pieces featuring the characters Lennon and Sophia. I just wanted to let you know that I just released a part 3 called " Thank god thank god thank god " and I'd love for you to check it out! Anyway, Happy Holidays and Happy Writing!!

• pyrrhic

awww... this sounds so fun. it reminds me a lot of my own grandma's house. then again our adventures were MUCH less mystical and much more chaotic and destructive. we've broken so much glass.... once a whole mirror. eventually the adults learned that t's best to just send us all outside. they still do. even during christmas.
    anyway, i understand the struggle of not being able to see loved ones. it's really difficult. i'm sorry. i hope that when you do get to see her again, it'll be a heartfelt and joy filled reunion. <33

• psithurism

Ahhh I love this so much! I also have a strong love for my grandmother's house. Do you mind is I use this as a prompt?

aww this is so full of innosence and love and the pure joy you portrayed! this is the sweetest thing<3 as soon as i started reading it i wanted to cry,i dont know why,it was a weird feeling.kind of the nostalgia,even though these arent my memories,idk it touched my heart.youre lucky to live near your grandma and have so many memories around her,i live very far from mine,i wish i had this.invite me to grandma carols house please and then maybe she can adopt me as her spirit grandchild and then we can be sisters or idk how to say it,sorry,siblings?
    im sorry,about being far from her,but hopefully you can see her soon.atleast you could still call<3:)

• dee’s abditory

AAAAAAAA THOSE ALL SOUND SO AMAZING IM JEALOUS WE SHOULD GET FRIEND-MARRIED SO THAT SHE CAN BE MY GRANDMA CAROL TOO