Sunflower~

She/Her
INTP-T
enneagram: 5w6
Writer
15
Ice cream aficionado
Joined April 2019

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:34)

Best TV show: Anne with an E or Murdoch mysteries (very different but I love them both)
Best Movie: Any period drama (Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Little Women, Jane Eyre) or Words on Bathroom Walls or Emperor's New Groove... I love literally every movie I have seen
Best Book: Hagenheim Series by Melanie Dickerson (sweet and wholesome romance... I love them!!)

Chapter Four of beth.r's Story Chain

9
    Charlotte tucked her silky brown hair into the back of the worn cap Ed had given her. "How do you do, madam?" She said in her deepest voice, which elicited a small smile from Alice. "Charlotte, I don't think this is a good idea..." concern washed over her petite face as she fidgeted with the lace trim on her sleeves. "Alice," Charlotte said with an adventurous gleam in her eyes, "tonight is the only chance I have to find out what happened to the Chinning boy and the secret organization, and... my brother." Charlotte swallowed as she whispered that last part, sadness flickering over her face like a candle struggling to burn. Alice laid a dainty hand on her shoulder, "It will be okay, Charlotte." 
    The carriage bounced along the rough cobblestone, as they made their way down the rainy streets of London to the Olde King's pub. "Oh, I do hate the rain," Alice said as she peered out the carriage window, droplets sliding down the slightly fogged glass. Charlotte stared down at the threadbare carpet that lined the floor of the carriage, deep in thought. "Charlotte?" Alice wondered out loud, "how will you get into the pub?"  
"I know just how to get in," said Charlotte, with a smile and a signal to the driver. Charlotte flung open the door and started running down the street. "Charlotte!" Alice shouted as she fumbled to open her umbrella and gather up the many layers of her pale blue dress, "wait for me!" 
"What are we doing here?" Alice questioned.
"Oh, the freedom that I have in pants, I ran down the street without having to hold up my skirts!" Charlotte mused, grinning ear to ear.
"Charlotte dearest, please answer my question!" 
"Oh, we had to make a stop, you can't go into the pub looking like that!"
Alice looked at Charlotte, arms crossed in defense. "First of all what do you mean 'like that?' And why am I going into the pub? This is your little escapade." Charlotte offered only a small smile in reply and led Alice into the store.
    Beautiful, expensive dresses hung up all over the store, the most beautifully crafted ones on display. The pale blue walls, soft lights, and cream-colored flooring only added to the upscale look of this department store. Charlotte walked all the way to the back, to a row of faux cloth torsos, showcasing corsets. Charlotte handed one to Alice. "Alice, we aren't old enough to get into the pub as we are. Someone has to get us inside, and with a little makeup and the right clothes, you'll be my way in." Alice nervously smiled and nodded.
    "Look at you, all dolled up," Charlotte said with a mocking smile as Alice smoothed down her dress. She knew that deep down, Alice wished she could dress like this, even though she put on a facade of how important modesty was to her. Alice did look a few years older, though, in a low-cut red dress hemmed with black lace. Her hair was in a loose knot on the top of her head, soft curls framing her delicate face. 
    The pub was among the most popular underground pubs in town, so acting like they belonged was the only way to get inside. As they neared the pub, Charlotte quickly whispered her plan to Alice, who seemed to have no problem with lying to get in. The exterior was nothing much to look at, just plain brick with stairs leading up to a double door. A good-looking man in a simple brown suit was sitting casually on the steps, smoking a cigarette.
    Charlotte slipped around the side of the building before the watchman saw her. She peered around the corner, lingering a bit longer to see if Alice was doing her part. Alice, was, in fact, doing the exact opposite of what Charlotte had told her. Charlotte sighed in frustration as she tried to figure out what Alice was doing. Suddenly, it dawned on her. Alice was flirting her way in. Charlotte watched, amazed at what an effect Alice was having on the man. He smiled at Alice, eyes twinkling, and said something Charlotte didn't catch, but it made Alice blush. She moved closer to the man, whispering something in his ear. He smiled as he held out his hand to lead her inside. A few moments later, Charlotte let out a sigh of relief as she saw Alice open up the back door for her. 
    The interior of this place was mesmerizing. Velvet cushions and dark wood lined the cozy interior, smoke wafted around, dim light illuminating the place. Alice looked at Charlotte and scrunched her nose at the thick smell of alcohol and cigars. Charlotte and Alice sat down at the bar, as to not raise any suspicion. Alice was still blushing, trying to hide her obvious smile. "He took a liking to you, didn't he?" Charlotte teased. "Yes," Alice breathed, "He was so nice and so handsome, and witty... oh! and his eyes..." Alice tapered off, looking dreamily at the front door. Charlotte smiled, proud that her friend had found a man, and not too shabby a man at that. "And his name?" Charlotte asked with a sideways smile, amused at how her friend had let down her somewhat stiff and proper demeanor. "William," Alice gushed, blushing even more. Charlotte laughed, but then remembered she wasn't here to find a man. She picked up the empty crate of bottles and maneuvered around the furniture, pretending to be a delivery boy as she looked for a secret door or anything that would point to Olde King's pub being a front for a secret society. Soon enough, she found a short rusted lever behind the bar and pulled it down. A small wooden trapdoor fell open, and she peered down inside. She couldn't risk climbing down the rickety ladder to investigate, lest someone see her snooping. Just then, her breathing hitched as she saw someone looking up at her. Edward. 

I had so much fun writing this! I can't wait to see what you guys write next ;)

Here is some background:

Characters:
Charlotte Browning- A spunky, adventurous girl who is anything but proper.
Alice- Charlotte's best friend. She is very proper and ladylike but gets dragged along on Charlotte's adventures.
Detective Barton- The detective assigned to investigate Charlotte's brother's death, but dropped it as soon as the Chinning boy died.
Emma Kidd- a mutual friend of Alice and Charlotte, she has all the latest gossip. She was the first one who told Alice and Charlotte about the Chinning boy's death.
Edward Cork- Charlotte's childhood friend (and possible member of the Secret Society?)
Will- Watchman for the Olde King's pub and Alice's newfound love

Previous Chapters:
First Chapter- (beth r.)
Second Chapter- (Future Pseudonym)
Third Chapter- (LindytheRavenclaw)

Also, we need to come up with a title for this! ;)

• journal.scribbles

This is so good!! I'm so excited to write my part but also pretty nervous like Stone of Jade... Nice job with your chapter! :D

ooh yesss this is getting really good. i am having so much fun reading these but now im worried on my chapter cause im nervous it wont be good enough lol
    really well written! it adds so much to the story!

• Future Pseudonym

Ooh, we're getting a little James Bond up in here, and is that Alice's dark side I see? Getting juicy :D and you're so right, we absolutely need a title. Beth R did suggest "The Secret Society of Suitor-less Slueths," and I'mma expand on that with "The Sleuths Under Southamptom" (I looked up some random S city in England and this one was populat *shrug)

• books4life

I LOVE THIS SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Rose A(hiatus)

dudddeeeeee. this was awesome! I love where this is going.
    amazing job!

• Minvra

I like Alice's development. It seemed in the beginning she was strict, but very lenient(?). She still is, but it seems like she's willing to lie...and flirt...and get caught up in dubiously legal activities. Something I'm fairly sure she would never do in the beginning. She seems easy to shake (though who wouldn't after seeing three deaths in a row, so maybe I should say resilient). Very loyal too.
    It seems like she needs to loosen her corset (if tight-lacing them is a thing in the 1900s) and strangely enough, medaling in crimes is doing that.

Now Charlotte...she's scarily energetic. The world will end the moment she is proper. It's like taking on a Mulanesque thing. But for the adventure. And possibility to avenge her brother (half?) Seems like she's no longer dreaming, but doing now.

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

Ahhh!!!! I need to get to writing. *cracks knuckles* I don't know how I can follow all these amazing chapters!!!!

• beth r.

"Oh, the freedom that I have in pants, I ran down the street without having to hold up my skirts!" I NEED THIS ON A T SHIRT. NOW. I love the description of the pub, and Alice's development. Although I do wonder how they knew which pub to go to- perhaps Edward tipped them off as a trap or something... lol I'm getting carried away. You did a magnificent job! I thought maybe the title could be "The Secret Society of Suitor-less Slueths" but whatever ya'll want :)
    The character list is amazing, and I love Charlotte in this chapter- you really make her shine.

• (sk)eyesofocher

WHATTT THIS IS SO GOOD! BUT EDWARD WHAT I HAD PLANS FOR YOU UUUUUUU XD