Rose A(hiatus)

hiatus
Hi! I'm Rose
aka:
rosy cheeks
Flowers of Fall

14
Hamilton Fan
anime watcher
music lover
obsessed with books
theatre kid
kind of decent writer(?)
indecisive person
a little weird ngl

est... um... September 2020??

Word Count: 677
btw I haven't proof read. pls be nice about typos and grammar.
:b

The first chapter of my new novel that i have yet to name...

4
    As her carriage rumbled down the newly paved cobblestone roads, Lady Katherine wrung her hands nervously. It was a spring morning and the sun shined brilliantly through the carriage windows. Outside were landscapes that looked as if they were carefully sculpted by an artist's hand. Lady Katherine payed no attention to the beauty of the outdoors. Her mind was else where.

She smoothed down the black silk of her mourning dress as she and her entourage approached the outskirts of a poor village. The closer they got, the more the car shook and jumped. The Lady looked out of her window momentarily. Children  with dirt streaked faces ran across the street. Raggedly dressed mothers with lines in their faces carried laundry and baskets. Beggars were everywhere, pleading for spare change. Her face puckered into a look of disgust. Annoyed, she closed the elegant curtains of her personal carriage.

Her ride hit another bump, causing the emerald brooch in her lap to fly across the carriage.
"You incompetent rat!" she screeched at the driver. "You are driving like a toddler learning to ride their donkey!"
"Sorry, miss!" The driver called behind his back. "The king has yet to pave these roads."

Lady Katherine rubbed at her eyelids, praying that her slip in composure hadn't caused her face to wrinkle.

"Would you care for some tea, milady?" a meek voice asked. Lady Katherine looked at her servant. She was a young girl with short brown hair and hazel eyes. The Lady squinted, trying to remember the name of her. She sighed, giving up.

"Yes," she answered, already tired from her long journey.

"How much sugar, madame?" The girl asked as she poured tea into a cup. Katherine marveled at how her steady hands never dropped even a splash. At least some of her staff knew what they were doing. The widow excepted her tea as the girl went to pick up the dropped brooch.

The lady looked at her brooch. It was given to her by her late husband two anniversaries before his death. The  merchant she was seeing didn't except money, so she planned on bartering with it.

The carriage jerked to a stop, almost causing her to drop her tea. "What is it now?" she sighed.

The driver hopped off of his seat and went to open the door. "We have arrived, milady." He offered her his hand to help her out of the carriage. Lady Katherine eyed him. He was one of the younger members of her staff. For a poor man, he had striking features. Blond hair with bright green eyes and long lashes. He was tall, but not intimidatingly so. She excepted his hand, trying to be graceful as she could be in her tight dress.

She stifled a groan as her knee throbbed with old age. Once she was out, the boy offered a hand to her servant.

"Miss Amanda," he greeted. So that was the girl's name. Katherine would have to remember that.

Lady Katherine looked around at her dull surroundings. She wrinkled her nose as the smell of bile and urine entered he nostrils. "This is the place where everyone is going to receive their fortunes? Where even the Duchess of Lavadine went to know her future?"

"Yes, ma'am" a voice called behind them. The group turned around to see a boy no younger than 15 petting the horse that pulled their carriage.

"Am I to assume you are the seer?" she asked.

Chuckling, the boy shook his head. "No, I'm not. I'm the seer's grandson. She's in that house over there," he stated, pointing his finger at a rundown hut. They all turned their heads in the direction of the house. It was by far the most rundown of them all. It had a collapsed roof and walls that screamed splinters. Amanda cringed at the hazard called a home.

The boy gave them another toothy grin. "You came for your fortune, right? Come on then,"

Somewhat hesitantly, the driver, the servant, and the widow followed the boy into the house.
Okay, this is a Cinderella twist in the making. I know it might not seem like it, but I was so excited that I posted early. This is my twist: "What if the stepmother had known the future?" I'm playing with the idea of her knowing what her ever after would be. I'm excited. If you have any ideas or feedback that would be AMAZING. Let's hope I see this story through and don't abandon it. That's all!

OMG THIS IS AMAZING! The idea behind this is just so cool!! I love it!!

• AliMuscles04

This sounds so cool!!! I can't wait for more!!!

• Sunflower~

This is such a great and creative idea! I can't wait to see what happens next! ;)

• | rosi willard |

"You are driving like a toddler learning to ride their donkey!"

yes. just..yes.