mooncake

Hi everyone! My name is Catherine, I'm a 15-year-old high school sophomore, and I like bubble tea and reading+writing during rainy evenings. Feel free to reach out to me anytime <3

(she/her/hers)

The Waiting Room

PROMPT: The Drabble

21
Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

I squirm on the cold leather seat as an algid chill races down my spine, erecting goosebumps on my milky skin. I have never felt as tense in my entire lifetime. My anxiety irradiates the room like an eternal fire.

Suddenly, a strident sound rings in my ear.

“Number 98457629. Incompetent. Beginning removal.”

My heart thunders as my body freezes.

“No,” I whisper. “There must be some sort of mistake!”

Mechanical limbs surround me, and I feel a razor-sharp prick in my arm.

I struggle to grasp something, anything, but all I see are the stars.

• December 14, 2020 - 11:25am (Now Viewing)

• ANSON REYNOLDS

the last line. hsdbchajl oaefbcnwe
    this is fantabulous, wonderful job.

• Bhavya's Treasure

You set the atmosphere so starkly!
    and the last line reminded me of the cartoons where they actually show the stars spinning around a person's head.

• ~wildflower~

Oh, I just love this! You have created such intense emotion in so few words, and I’m amazed at how connected I felt to the character when I had only just met them. I think your powerful and specific word choices were a key factor in achieving these things. Love it!
    (p.s. the image of “bubble tea and reading+writing during rainy evenings” makes me feel so happy! Thanks for that!)

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

NOOOOO.... not Number 98457629!!!! :( I love this piece. It conveys so much in 100 words. I feel really connected to the character. I want more!!!! :3

• mindfruit

oooh, very nice story! I love how mysterious it is XD