Odysseus

{Formerly AGreatPerhaps/FromEden}
Er, hello there. I'm trying my best to write something real, so please stick with me for a bit while I figure it out.
-Hozier lover
-Dark chocolate fanatic
-Academic?
-Writer
-Six of Crows

“August evenings are especially stricken with melancholy- as if the ghosts of all past summers came rushing to haunt my heart.”
- Listy Tamtego Lata

“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”
- Stephen Chbosky

“Movie star James Dean said, "They've got to see us," just before slamming his Porsche into another car. I know so many last words. But I will never know hers.”
- John Green

"Catch a wave and take in the sweetness
Think about it, the darkness, the deepness
All the things that make me who I am...”
- Lana Del Rey

“I am made of memories.”
- Madeline Miller

Zion hört die Wächter singen
Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme

Ships at a Distance

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board.
"Are you coming?" the captain screamed to him, gripping the slippery wood of the mast for support. "Are you coming or staying?"
She needed an answer- now. The storm's winds were picking up, causing the sails to whip back and forth, shaking the seas like Poseidon's revenge. The harsh, cold waves beat at the side of the boat, and a clap of thunder shook the other scrambling sailors' resolve to run for cover. God's wrath, he mused cynically, staring across the deck at the woman who screamed at him. It was his fault they were in this bloody situation, after all- he had crossed the wrong person, and she, in her foolishness, had been kind enough to take him in. Now, she shouted orders, and asked- was he simple enough to stay? Was he brave enough? Or would he abandon them, like so many others before?
"I need to know who you stand for," she fired. "Them, or us?"
The young man looked to the other boat, a finer and sleeker one, that was a mere thirty feet away. It was holding up in the storm only slightly better, but it would still have the upper advantage by its size and strength. Depending on his next move, they would either fire on the smaller boat- or, if he betrayed his family, they would send over a rope and leave The Pécheur behind. Did he have it within him to betray yet another family? Or, did he have it within him to doom them to the depths of the ocean?
He felt the spray of the salt water- a shockingly cold temperature- and thought to himself that, should he choose to send them to the seas, Maybe this time it would stick.
"Adams! Adams!" the captain yelled again, this time gaining his attention. Then, she spoke in a quiet voice that found someway to carry over the roar of the waves and reach him. "Them, or us?"
She sounded like his friend, who, in his eagerness to save Adams, made a fatal decision. David whispered, in a small voice, from his position on the ground, blood dripping from his broken nose, "I chose them, Oliver." He swallowed hard, then, remembering the look on his friend's face, chose.
No more death on his account.
Of course, the crew of The Pécheur wouldn't know that. No one would.
Oliver Adams cast a cruel smile at the captain, who leaned her head back, glaring. "Sorry, Sara. See you around?"
Adams yelled for the other boat to send him a rope. The Serpent's crew quickly cast one to him as he ran to the side of the ship. He felt himself hesitate, for a bare second, so quickly that no one would know what was happening inside his mind. Then he jumped over, his calloused hands griping the rope tightly, feeling himself become weightless.
His feet landed solidly on The Serpent's deck. He kneeled from the force of gravity, then looked up into the face of his once-greatest enemy. He grasped the hand of the man who offered to pull him up, and stood, determined. "Welcome to the crew. I'm glad you made the right choice."
Adams gave a tight smile in response. "How could I ever have chosen differently?"
I have no idea where this came from, but thank you for reading! :)

• Halopoet

Re: thanks!

re: thx for that quote! i actually haven't read looking for alaska yet... long story but involves my mom yelling st me when i tried to because it's to "mature" for me... anyway i can't wait until i do! for now i collect the quotes. <3

• Emmy Lou

Re; I do think people would be interested in a second part. Perhaps you could even write a short novel, publishing every chapter separately? Just a thought.

• The Historian

next chapter of One More Dream is complete!

• Elizabeth Lewis

This is awesome! I love how you jump right into the action and give details throughout the story that give you clues as to what happened before! You did that so well! Good job! This piece was such a delight to read!
    Also thank you so much for commenting and liking my piece! It was so encouraging! Praying for you! God loves you!!!!
    "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Philippians 4:13

• Starlitskies

The details and descriptions in this piece are so vivid! I adore every bit of it! Also, I love your message box. That's good advice. :)
    P.S. - Thank you so much for you comment on my piece!!! And yes, a series sounds awfully tempting!!! Maybe I will give it a go! Thank you for the idea. <3

also wow. this piece is amazing! I wanna read more! the best ideas usually come from the most random inspiration--for me at least XD i love this!

re: try this link for part one.

re: hmm..that is weird. I will republish and link it to you. I am only going to republish the first part (if you have trouble with the others lmk) and try that first. If it doesn't work tell me ;)