Odysseus

{Formerly AGreatPerhaps/FromEden}
Er, hello there. I'm trying my best to write something real, so please stick with me for a bit while I figure it out.
-Hozier lover
-Dark chocolate fanatic
-Criminal Minds
-Awkward writer
-Six of Crows

"You have been in every way all that anyone could be... if anybody could have saved me, it would have been you.”
- Jennifer Niven

“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”
- Stephen Chbosky

“Movie star James Dean said, "They've got to see us," just before slamming his Porsche into another car. I know so many last words. But I will never know hers.”
- John Green

"If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks,
then I'll follow you into the dark."
- Benjamin Gibbard

“I am made of memories.”
- Madeline Miller

Zion hört die Wächter singen
Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme

Ships at a Distance

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board.
"Are you coming?" the captain screamed to him, gripping the slippery wood of the mast for support. "Are you coming or staying?"
She needed an answer- now. The storm's winds were picking up, causing the sails to whip back and forth, shaking the seas like Poseidon's revenge. The harsh, cold waves beat at the side of the boat, and a clap of thunder shook the other scrambling sailors' resolve to run for cover. God's wrath, he mused cynically, staring across the deck at the woman who screamed at him. It was his fault they were in this bloody situation, after all- he had crossed the wrong person, and she, in her foolishness, had been kind enough to take him in. Now, she shouted orders, and asked- was he simple enough to stay? Was he brave enough? Or would he abandon them, like so many others before?
"I need to know who you stand for," she fired. "Them, or us?"
The young man looked to the other boat, a finer and sleeker one, that was a mere thirty feet away. It was holding up in the storm only slightly better, but it would still have the upper advantage by its size and strength. Depending on his next move, they would either fire on the smaller boat- or, if he betrayed his family, they would send over a rope and leave The Pécheur behind. Did he have it within him to betray yet another family? Or, did he have it within him to doom them to the depths of the ocean?
He felt the spray of the salt water- a shockingly cold temperature- and thought to himself that, should he choose to send them to the seas, Maybe this time it would stick.
"Adams! Adams!" the captain yelled again, this time gaining his attention. Then, she spoke in a quiet voice that found someway to carry over the roar of the waves and reach him. "Them, or us?"
She sounded like his friend, who, in his eagerness to save Adams, made a fatal decision. David whispered, in a small voice, from his position on the ground, blood dripping from his broken nose, "I chose them, Oliver." He swallowed hard, then, remembering the look on his friend's face, chose.
No more death on his account.
Of course, the crew of The Pécheur wouldn't know that. No one would.
Oliver Adams cast a cruel smile at the captain, who leaned her head back, glaring. "Sorry, Sara. See you around?"
Adams yelled for the other boat to send him a rope. The Serpent's crew quickly cast one to him as he ran to the side of the ship. He felt himself hesitate, for a bare second, so quickly that no one would know what was happening inside his mind. Then he jumped over, his calloused hands griping the rope tightly, feeling himself become weightless.
His feet landed solidly on The Serpent's deck. He kneeled from the force of gravity, then looked up into the face of his once-greatest enemy. He grasped the hand of the man who offered to pull him up, and stood, determined. "Welcome to the crew. I'm glad you made the right choice."
Adams gave a tight smile in response. "How could I ever have chosen differently?"
I have no idea where this came from, but thank you for reading! :)

• Harper Rivers

"Poseidon's revenge"
    "God's wrath"
    "Did he have it within him to betray yet another family?"
    "How could I ever have chosen differently?"

I can't decide if your mind is an incredibly lyrical or terrifyingly poetic place to be.

• Emmy Lou

This is really good, are you think about writing a part 2??? I would be interested in reading it.