anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (says rosi willard)

Child of God
logophile
volleyballer

Female

see footnotes! <3

To Whom It May Concern (Footnotes!)

15
5 December 2020    
To whom it may concern:
    It is probably not of any consequence to you that a fifteen year old girl in a rural pocket of northern California is sorely disappointed in her state’s handling of the COVID-19 crisis. Perhaps it would interest you further if you listened to how many others feel the same way. Likely not, but if I have captured a sliver of interest, I feel as though you should continue reading.
    But therein lies the issue, doesn’t it? Feelings. It has become apparent to me that the United States is a society in which those who are ruled primarily by feelings are the ones whose voices are the loudest. The silent—or at least the quiet—majority is called that for a reason. The louder one shouts, the bigger and more powerful one seems. I ask you to hear the so-called “silent” majority, because they are not silent. They are simply drowned out by the screaming minority.
    Feelings can be misleading, but they should not be discounted. Especially if the feelings of the “silent” majority are discounted when the feelings of the screaming minority are heard, understood, supported, and presented as more valuable than the feelings of the “silent” majority. 
    At this point, you may think my letter will be a lengthy list of criticisms that I hand you in hopes that you will check each wrongdoing or shortcoming off the list as soon as it has been rectified. That is not so. Rather, I am asking—pleading, even—that you listen. My topic actually has little to do with the bureaucratic handlings of this crisis. In fact, it will appear trivial in the scheme of things: youth sports.
    Allow me to clarify. I am not imploring you to allow all youth sports to forge ahead and hang the consequences. I am not suggesting, with a meticulous plan for dates and counties and tiers and case numbers and positivity rates and quarantine situations, that youth should be allowed to play. I agree with those who say that it depends on the sport; a contact sport in an enclosed space such as basketball poses more risk than cross country or tennis. I also acknowledge the risks of allowing any gameplay or competition involving travel from one county to another. 
    What I am suggesting is that you hear the cries of the people, and respond to them. Contrary to the proverb that “no news is good news,” I can confidently tell you that people would rather hear you say, “there is no news, no updates, no changes,” than wait and wonder with only a proverb to comfort them. Even if nothing has been decided—whatever the matter—informing the public of this gives them peace of mind. It is better to report “No updates; we will let you know as soon as we find out” than to say nothing at all.
    It is not just about the sports themselves, the physical aspects. It is not only about the unrelenting passion and dedication of the players who give themselves to athletics. The culture, the atmosphere that surrounds sports—that is irreplaceable. It creates a sense of belonging and community; in some areas, it is the pillar of the community, especially football and boys’ basketball. Sporting matches are about more than a social event that looks exceptional on Instagram. Sometimes, it is not even about the players―at least, not entirely. Friends are found and lost at these events. Conversations occur and connections shine. There is an inexplicable glow to attending a sporting event, to remaining silent until the tenth point is scored, to the rhythmic stomp-stomp-clap, to the running commentary you keep up with friends, to holding your breath as the point guard lobs a desperate shot across the court—
    Or maybe the temperature has dropped almost to freezing as the night carries on, illuminated by stadium lights, and the student section is on its feet on the aluminum bleachers, and wild cheers erupt at the interception at the forty with less than a minute to go—
    But even if the point guard airballs the last shot, even if the safety fumbles the interception, nothing has ever felt so intense, so passionate, so important.
    At least, not until the next game. 
    No, this is not the time to begin youth sports for parts of California. Yes, I believe that the future of sports depends on each county’s circumstances. Now more than ever, the variables are unpredictable and abundant. 
    So, for what and for whom am I writing this letter?
    I write for those who wish to be heard.
    I write for those who try to speak up and are drowned out by the screaming minority.
    I write to ask and to beg you: listen. Sometimes, that is the only thing you can do, but sometimes, that is everything.
    I write to remind you that people would rather hear you say something, even if there is no change, than to wait in anticipation for an update that never arrives.
    I write to illustrate the importance of youth sports, not only in the games themselves, but in the environment they produce that, in turn, establishes a community that cannot be replicated. 
    I write to demonstrate that a teenager can articulate the opinions of many into a single letter. 
    I write because society has told me that my voice matters, and I desire that to remain true even when my voice is proclaiming something different than those around me.
    I write in hopes that you will read, understand, and remember. 

Wishing All the Best,
Erin 
This came to me suddenly during my workout this morning. I've let far too many moments of inspiration pass by, so I wrote it all down. Make of it what you will, but read carefully. Hear what I'm really saying. I'd be happy to discuss or answer questions, but I'm not up for a debate. 
On another note... THANK YOU FOR 100+ FOLLOWERS! What?! I can scarcely believe it. I love you all so much. I wish I could meet you. What if I've already met you and I just don't know it? (BOOM! MINDBLOWN!) Okay, not really. 
Seriously, though... even though followers and likes should never be the main focus, it's still pretty cool that there are all these cool people out there who clicked that little button (is it mint? seafoam? teal?), some of whom actually read and comment on what I write. (No shame; I get it. I don't follow up on everything you all write.)
When I got to 50, I linked everything, but... nope. That is, sadly, more effort than I wanna put in. (To be fair, I have homework after this, okay?) So here are some people off the top of my head. I am so sorry if you're not there! These are just ones I vividly recall. 
mirkat
mindfruit
Anne Blackwood
izzywidgeon
FantasyOtter12
Stone of Jade
Paisley Blue
sunny.v
doodleninja
Dmoral
V-Rose
rosy cheeks (Rose A.)
rwong
Rudolph's Defender (Rohan's Defender)
SunV
Huba Huba
In Which Yaya Writes
Emi
WilliamtheChristmasElf (WilliamtheConqueror)
Emi
Busssy.Beee
Just_Those_Christmas_Memories (Just_A_Memory)
ava09 (angels, auroras, and sad prose)
sci-Fi
crystalline galaxies
AmandaWritesRandolphtheRedNosedSeahorse (AmandaWritesDysfantasy) girl, ilysm but your username is very long and very whack (writer gang)
row_boat_writer (writer gang)
Rose! (writer gang)

i know i'm forgetting you... ack, i'm sorry!
much love to all of you crazy, wonderful people. 

• Rose A(hiatus)

re: I didn't really listen to very much of rep, but I did like a few songs. the cover art is pretty good too. I think my favorite album is probably 1989 or lover. Red was pretty good too.

• Rose A(hiatus)

replying: Thank you! I' glad you liked my piece and my profile picture. I wish my house was like it...
    I'm not sure if I'm hardcore enough to be considered a swift, but yeah I've been a fan for a long time. I still haven't listened to her folklore album, but I listen to some of her smaller things. Have you ever listened to her cover of "September"? You know, the song by earth wind & fire.

• Coeur

reply: Wow, thanks so much!! I love writing about Phila and that quote...I've talked about it in like 3 essays for school. This is a remarkable piece by the way, love the bit about the silent majority! You've got a really cool writing style as well.

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

Re: Yeah!!! You were really close! BookWolf is a good idea if I want to change it up in the future!

• sci-Fi

Re: ofc! Sorry, I was in a rush between classes earlier. This message was so intriguing to me for one specific reason: it sounded like a real document; an actual list of grievances someone would read, not the ramblings of a "fifteen year old girl in a rural pocket of northern California". That's kind of amazing. I really love and admire this piece!

• Rose A(hiatus)

First off, this comment not in captions: This was such a great piece! Agreeing with Eden and SunV, this would be an interesting contest piece!
    Secondly, if that's a word: ERIN OMG CONGRATS ON 100+ FOLLOWERS!! Happy to be one of them
    Thirdly, which might be a word(idk my grammarly is disabled) WHAT THE ACTUAL WHAT? A SHOUTOUT!! Thank you! You're the best and I'm so happy for you!!

first, this is immensely powerful and i think i agree with you. love your writing so much and you had so many good points! and shodsjdfods 100000+ (jk, just 100 but someday there will be moreee 0s) hehe well congrats of u lations!
    re: honestly, there are so many "legends" here. i think wisp and dmoral and anne are the highest (i know i am completely forgetting ppl buttt i can not think rn) and then others who might not have a lot of followers but just are so amazing at writing. i guess then there is us and paisley blue and basically all of my wtw friends... idk, but i know when i leave wtw (hopefully not soon!) that i will remember the ppl on here. i was freaked out when i joined actually and so many ppl were introing themselves and saying how they were glad i joined and i was like why are ppl so nice!? haha well i love it here... <3<3<3

• sci-Fi

CONGRTULATIONNNNSSS!!! And tysm for the shoutout <3 <3

• Busssy.Beee

CONGRATSSSS ON 100!!! omc, yayayay!!! from 0-100, woah!! <3333

• The Inky Writer

What an incredible piece and your writing, wow! Thank you so much for your welcoming comment on my "Birthday Zooms" piece. The tip about having to reply on the person's piece was extremely helpful, I had no idea so thank you :)

Firstly, this piece is so powerful. Like Eden said, you should totally enter it in a competition.

And congratulations! This is going to sound very VERY cheesy, but I remember when you first came on the site. It was around the same time I decided to be more active in the community, and not just writing, so it was so nice meeting you!

And your writing is gorgeous. You deserve all those followers and so many more.

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

First off, INCREDIBLE job articulating and describing this! This piece is AMAZING! You should seriously enter it into a comp!!!! LOVE ITTT! Your suspenseful sentences about the games left me in the edge of my seat! GREAT WORK!
    And..... AHHHH CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATSSSS! You are such an incredible writer and friend, this website would not be the same without you! I am proud of you, and proud to be one of your followers! Keep spreading your amazing joy! <33333333 And your name is Erin?! Our names even start with the same letter!!!! :D

• rwong

re: omygoshhhh i've read them both!!! AND I LOVED THEM!! have you read any books by ruta sepetys? she's like my favorite author ever :)

Re: You're welcome. ^U^

This is a really interesting perspective!
    And CONGRATULATIONS!! Yay I'm so happy for you. You've earned it.

• happygiggles

Re- You seem like a really nice person, I like your personality :D

CONGRATULATIONS! ((:

• ~madeline~

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
    *blows party horn*
    You deserve every one, my friend :)

• rwong

CONGRATS ON 100 AND 2 MORE!! YOU DESERVE EVERY SINGLE ONE <3 <3
    on another note, well written piece!! i love it :)