crystalline•galaxies

Switzerland

tuffy
she/they
infp-a | 4w5

i would love more feedback, if you have any! i'm definitely happier with this version than the first, and thank you ever so much to wisp and cranevarnish for the helpful reviews!

(and yes, i see all of your lovely kind comments, and i thank you ever so much for them. i don't have the mental capacity to respond to all of them, but please know that hearing this about something that i've written touches me deeply.)

the kind of love that is proclaimed in the legends (second draft)

15
tell me, then,
what is the kind of love that is proclaimed in the legends?

oh, how to explain it?
it is passion-filled nights under moonlit skies,
whispered secrets left on lips the color of spiced wine. 
it is tender embraces and lingering looks,
speaking without words over a heavy oak table stretching the length of a king's hall. 
it is the limitless eternity of time spent distinguishing every smell embedded in golden tresses,
is that the scent of saltwater? or is it the lye soap used before bed?
it is recognizing a whole person just by the gentle touch of a fingertip,
letting it rest upon the pulse point between bones in the wrist long enough to feel three fait beats. 
and it is the hungry kisses stolen in solitude on a sharp cliff that slashes at feet,
the brush of cheek against chest chasing away the days that now hold no meaning.

it sounds lovely. 
if i am ever to love,
it shall be just that.

ah, my child, that is what they all say;
but once they grow older and choose that love for themselves,
they realize that the clammy, cold grip of odium and fate does not lessen its strength.
there will always be those who look down their crooked noses in judgement,
and the more reckless ones may even attempt to sabotage the walls protecting the palace you have built.
parting and separation will pierce your soul like the daggers that bring upon one's death,
and reunion will burn the incense on your funeral pyre. 
there will be hours of the day when your heart turns cold,
hours when you lay awake in the heat of summer and, instead of running fingers along collarbones,
you shove tenderness and intimacy under the bed to be forgotten about.
ecstasy consumes your body as fire consumes an offering,
but quenching it only fuels the flames.
in the case of mortals,
one or both of you will most certainly perish,
and in that moment, you will remember what the poets have written in the scrolls:
and perhaps it is the greater grief, after all,
to be left on earth when another is gone.

here, i leave you with these parting words.
love, yes, love with your entire heart and being and give nothing less;
let yourself become engrossed in the life of another,
and, when your body has died and your soul wanders the earth alone,
become united with them again and never let go.
but heed the warnings spoken in the ballads when they say
how the most dangerous thing is to love.

"and perhaps it is the greater grief, after all, to be left on earth when another is gone."
    -madeline miller, the song of achilles

"how the most dangerous thing is to love"
    -gang of youths, "achilles come down"

3

• Wisp

Replying: Ah dear, you were worth it. You were worth taking time out of my day to just write about you, because you mean the world to me. I've been thinking this for a while and hopefully I'll word it in the right way.
    You are my Achilles' heel dear. The one I can't help but have a soft spot for, the one I find myself smiling over like a maniac, the one I (platonically) love through and through. You are the one that makes me young again, the one that reminds me what it means to just feel through your soul and being. Simply put, you are my weak spot, my dear Achilles' heel.
    Oh my gosh that sounds like a love confession hahahahha, so sorry for that. Speaking of that, I hope it's going well with you and your boyfriend!

• Wisp

Perhaps we're that kind of platonic love that's proclaimed in the legends?

• lochnessie

this is gorgeous
    really really this is gorgeous

• lochnessie

OH my goodness this is absolutely beautiful, I didn't think it was possible but I just adore it and you and all your writing

• Wisp

OH my gods, you took this piece so much further, the emotion, the depth, the rawness of it all is blowing me away. Your first one already had so much of this feeling in it, and this one just made me feel such a surge of so many things. You expanded it so beautifully that it is breathtaking and I love all the new additions, they're just so lovely in painting this picture. You show of two sides of what love is in this, and I adore that--because you don't just touch on all the happy things in love, but all the heartbreaking things too. And that emphasis on love in all its entirety creates so much beauty within this and creates something so much more than just the idea of holding hands on the beach kind of love. It's so gloriously told, this fabrication of a tale.
    And your imagery!!! I still cannot get over it. I love every word of this, and it's almost as if each word is dripping in gold, drenched in the delicacies of wine and gosh I don't know what else to say about this masterpiece because it's so amazing.

• rwong

i seriously thought your first one couldn't get better. you blow my mind <3 <3 this is amazing and gorgeous and lovely and beautiful and [insert cool synonym that actually describes this cause the ones listed above dont, or at least not in full]

• psithurism

AHH I love achilles come down!

wowowow somehow this is better, way better than the first! <3

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Wowwwwww WOW WOOWOWOOWOWOWOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! You. Are. Indescribably. Talented. OH MY GOSH THIS IS JUST.... I’m speechless. Again.

silghsiugseslhefuh how did this get BETTER??? honestly i'm amazed. this is beautiful and lyrical and real. i just... love it so much!!! :D