doodleninja

18

~your local angst-y Christian girl~

when I'm not brooding you can find me trying to write comedy in my series "stereo tropes co." :)

soli Deo gloria!

a "bonus episode" because there's not really any new plot. Hope you still enjoy it though!
---
Welcome to "Stereo Tropes Co.", the series where story tropes run amuck in an office setting!
Search it up and follow the numbers in the titles to read them in order :)
---

THE TROPIES:
Writing4Life
PaisleyBlue
Stone of Jade
journal.scribbles
jyotsna.r.n
ambedo & sugar cookies
Anne Blackwood
mirkat
mistletoe3.14159
ANSON REYNOLDS
SunV
Rohan’s Defender
therisingwriter
Mina_77

I Had a Serious Lapse of Judgment When Choosing this Job, Yet Surprisingly, I Regret Nothing | Stereo Tropes Co. Bonus Episode 1

18

The phone rang once. 
    Then twice. 
    Then three times. 
    Prose considered not even answering at all. She glanced back and forth between the blank document on her computer screen, and the black phone on her desk. The call was probably from her boss here at Stereo Tropes Co., checking in to see her progress. 
    Or rather, lack of progress. 
    To think, she'd fail this spectacularly on her first day of the job. She wanted to bang her head on the desk, but there wasn't an empty spot amidst the piles of manuscripts, pencil holders, and half-eaten granola bars.
    How hard could it be to think of some Villain Monologues? Surprisingly, quite difficult. Her respect for villains and their superior speech composition abilities had dramatically increased in the last half-hour. 
    Prose let out a sigh. 
    She picked up the phone. 
    "Greetings and salutations Ms. Prose," a disinterested woman's voice dripped through the speaker. "This is your secretary speaking, soon-to-be ruler of the world once I get my student loans paid off, but anyway."
    Prose did a double-take at the phone. Did she hear her right?
    The secretary continued. "The head honcho wanted me to inform you that they're sending someone up to kick you out."
    "What?!" Prose nearly dropped the phone. "Already?!"
    "Just messing with you. Nah, he's gonna give you some advice. I don't know. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a herd of Plot Bunnies to corral."
    The secretary hung up. 
    They were sending someone to her office? 
    Suddenly panicked, Prose rolled over to her computer again, tapping out a few ideas on the keyboard, not wanting to be completely empty-handed in front of this coworker. 
    Her brain wandered to speculating about this visitor; would this guy be from the Production Department too? Was he a professional? Would he be mean to her? Too nice? 
    She tucked loose strands of hair behind her ears, staring at her door. 
    Her leg started shaking and she pressed down on her thigh to make it stop. 
    Why was she so nervous? 
    Relax, she told herself. You are cool. You are calm. You are--
    The door slammed open. Prose's head jerked up.
    "Thinker is here!" a young man sang as he slid into the room, then took a dramatic bow, before straightening himself (and his patterned tie). 
    Prose stared at him. Her eyes immediately fixed on his fluffy light brown hair; she didn't know hair could look that soft and...cloud-like. 
    He smiled like he knew he was better than everyone else. 
    Which irked Prose. 
    She kept a straight face. "Ah. Hello. I'm Prose."
    Thinker sauntered over to her desk. He smelled like...pineapples. "And with what can I help you today, sweetheart?"
    Aha. One of those kinds of guys. "Don't call me 'sweetheart'."
    His almond-shaped eyes crinkled at the corners as he smirked. "Shall I call you 'bitter-brain' then?"
    Prose suppressed an eye-roll. 
    So this was how the day was going to go.

[this was also when the author realized she didn't have to rewrite the entire dialogue and could instead shamelessly do a self-plug and say "check out this Stereo Tropes Co. episode here to find out what happens immediately after that"]

Later...

Prose walked out of her office at the end of the day, quite confused. 
    She'd been looking forward to a normal first day, but it appeared that would not be the case.
    Thinker had given her advice. If you could call "bursting-out-into-theatrical-flair-while-spewing-villain-cliches" advice. 
    Despite herself though, a small part of her hoped that wouldn't be the last time she'd see Thinker. 
    A small part. 
    She stepped into the elevator, the other two people already inside nodding hello at her. She recognized them from her orientation training: Print, the tall guy with the plaid shirt drinking a can of cold brew, and Critique, the woman with cat-eye glasses, her phone screen casting a blue glow on her dark brown skin. 
    The three stood in silence and Prose wondered if she should start the conversation.
    "So how was your first day?" Critique suddenly spoke, eyes on Prose, though her finger kept scrolling on her phone. 
    "Oh! Um, good," Prose nodded. "I mean, there was this coworker in my office and he was laughing like a maniac, but--"
    "Wait, you met Thinker?" Critique grinned. 
    Prose gave her a side-eye glance. "Yeah...how did you know?"
    Print chuckled. "There's only one person in the entire world who would fit that description."
    "I see," Prose said. "Are you two...friends with him, or is he, like, infamous around here?"
    "Both," Critique smiled.
    "Sadly," Print added. 
    The elevator dinged (they were only on the third floor), the doors slid open, and Prose tensed when she saw the newcomer. 
    Critique sidestepped to make room for him. "Thinker, we were just talking about you!"
    "Well, of course, all conversations lead back to yours truly," he put a hand on his chest. Thinker turned to Prose. "Hey, I meant to ask you, is it okay if I keep calling you 'bitter-brain'? I'm actually kinda proud with the turn-of-phrase on that nickname."
    Print scoffed before Prose could reply. "Oh, so the only reason you'll call her that is to remind yourself of how 'great' and 'witty' you are?"
    "...No," Thinker folded his arms. "And also I don't know why you did those air quote signs, I am great and witty."
    Critique nudged Prose with her elbow. "Hey, Thinker's never given a nickname to anyone before, you should be honored."
    Prose sighed. "I mean, I don't see any harm in it. Sure, why not, Thinker."
    "Yay!" Thinker clapped his hands and Prose couldn't help but smile at his boyish glee. He winked at her. "Welcome to the gang, bitter-brain."
    Print cleared his throat. "Uh, hate to ruin the team-bonding moment, but...what's that doing here?"
    He pointed at a furry, dusty creature on the floor of the elevator, near the now-closed doors. The elevator began descending again.
    "What is that?" Prose backed away towards the corner.
    Thinker waved his hand, laughing. "Don't worry, it's just a Plot Bunny. They're usually harmless, unless they're unresolved, otherwise they pounce on people until someone takes care of them and writes them out."
    "Is that one resolved?" she eyed the creature, whose head began to twitch. 
    Thinker replied, "Judging from its red eyes and skittish behavior I'd say...no."
    The Plot Bunny pounced.
    Complete chaos ensued.
    And it was then that Prose realized there was no such thing as a "normal day" at Stereo Tropes Co.

Originally published: 12.2.2020

Inspired by the December 2020 Grab Bag prompt: Write about a character’s first day of work at an unusual job. (by BizzleWrites

So I saw this prompt. And of course Stereo Tropes Co. came to mind XD

For those of you who don't know, this is sorta a retelling of the 3rd episode of Stereo Tropes Co. (the one I mentioned in the middle of the story) but from Prose's POV. 

Also, shoutout to Anne Blackwood for the initial suggestion that these "parts" should be called "episodes" (I love it XD)

If you want to be notified whenever a new episode comes out, drop a comment below and join the Tropies! 

Just wanted to warn you before I listen to your song that people can see your real name with that link. I saw it but I won't tell anyone.

• The Ravenclaw Phoenix

Ha! " 'I mean, there was this coworker in my office and he was laughing like a maniac, but--' 'Wait, you met Thinker?' Critique grinned." This is absolutely hilarious. Keep on writing!

• wavewriter

re: thanks for your comment! And thanks for the welcome!

• wavewriter

I love these so much!! Please notify me when a new episode comes out!! :D

• Ree Sethu

wonderful!!!

• Mina_77

Brilliant! Stereo Tropes Co. is a creation of genius! I would love to join the Tropies!

• rise

And thanks for the comment: XD

• rise

THIS is such a breathtaking story. I would really like to join the Tropies!

• happygiggles

Re- Thank you, that means a lot! <33

This is so interesting, and so so good, can't wait to read more! (:

• journal.scribbles

Yesss I love this!!! "This is your secretary speaking, soon-to-be ruler of the world once I get my student loans paid off, but anyway." Why does that sound like something I'd say? XD Thanks for notifying me about this and thank you for your super thoughtful comment on my piece!

re: oh my gosh, yes! thinker is such a lovable idiot. prinker really did start in the best meet-cute ever.

re: Oh i did! I enjoy allllll stereo tropes co (oh I was the first tropie? hehe)

"Print scoffed before Prose could reply. "Oh, so the only reason you'll call her that is to remind yourself of how 'great' and 'witty' you are?"
    "...No," Thinker folded his arms. "And also I don't know why you did those air quote signs, I am great and witty." I love ittttttt! Also "Thinker replied, "Judging from its red eyes and skittish behavior I'd say...no." Ahhh you're the best <3

Re: Thanks! YAYYYY I haven't even read this im too excited :P

oh i love this!!! I don't know how i missed it! I love the tropes. i'd love to be notified if you don't have me on the list already ;)

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: ABSOLUTELY IT IS INCREDIBLE! YOU ARE A GENIUS, MY FRIEND! I AM SOOO GLAD I FOUND YOUR SERIES!!!!

• ANSON REYNOLDS

HALLELUJAH!!! YES YES YES YESSITY YES YES YES! This is what I needed right now! FORGET PRODUCTIVENESS I"M GONNA GO REREAD THE ENTIRE FREAKING SERIES! hearts upon hearts to you for writing this <3333333

• em wilder

oh yes, oh yes, oh i love my thinker and prose and wqoeifdjdsk genius plot bunnies!!! i can't choose a favorite stereo tropes, they are all so witty (even more so than thinker, if u can believe it) i am so proud to be a tropie!!! so funny and marvelous and I LOVE THIS SO FREAKING MUCH!!!! now i gotta go drink some pineapple juice hehehe <3<3<3

AHHH I ALMOST SCREAMED WHEN I SAW YOUR COMMENT ABOUT THE BONUS EPISODE!!!
    AND NOW I WANNA SCREAM AFTER READING!!! ahhhh prinker was so cute even in the beginning! and you made it fit one of the grab bag prompts?! crazy talented and hilarious as usual. also, agreeing with anne on eating and drinking while reading.
    how does one have the attention span of a cheesecake, i would like to ask her.

I almost spit out my water approximately ten times while reading this. I guess I should've known better than to drink or eat while reading Stereo Tropes episodes, but I was thirsty.
    (Okay is it just me or did your writing style rub off on the above section of my comment?)
    Anyway, this is as cleverly hilarious as always.
    Um. Did I come up with the idea of calling them episodes? I have no memory of that haha. Then again, according to someone I can't remember, I also thought of "Tropies", so my memory clearly can't be trusted.
    Also, I think it's adorable that Ella's mom reads these, too. I've shared a couple of them with my brother (he thought they were great), but he has the attention span of a cheesecake when it comes to reading things he didn't find himself, so this is a joy that I keep mostly to myself.

• Rohan’s Defender

AHHHHHH YASSSSS YESSSS THIS IS ABSOLUTELY PURE GOLD MAYBE EVEN BETTER THAN PINEAPPLE JUICE!!!! XD AND THANK YOU FOR THE SHOUTOUT!! I AM SO HAPPY TO BE PART OF THE GANG! LOVE THIS!!!!!

OMGGGGGGG YESSSSSSSS DUDE I LOVE THIS SO MUCHHHHH XD alright gonna go read this to my mom (she's been following along with the stories as well lol) but seriously I love these so much :D