don't you see the starlight (#TS)

WtW's "cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having... picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Daughter of God

jr in HS
VB~running
10.5.20
sporadically here

Enjoy!

ACTUALLY the Best Scone Recipe (So Far)

17
Hey people! Emi inspired me to put out "my" scone recipe. I don't know how I discovered the joy of scones. I've never had one in a restaurant or anywhere, but I guess my recipe searching online lead to serendipity.
And so my scone journey began.
Blueberry were my first. I've also done cranberry orange, lemon, apple cinnamon (with salted caramel sauce, which is THE BOMB), strawberry, and cranberry lemon. Apple cinnamon weren't the best, because the apple chunks were too large. The scones didn't hold together. But the salted caramel sauce...
Strawberry were so moist that they molded after sitting too long (freeze those scones!), and I almost cried.
Lemon anything is delicious, so I'd say those are the safest and one of the easiest.
It's actually a hybrid of a recipe from Sugar Spun Run and Live Well Bake Often, but I improvise all the time. Don't be afraid to improvise and experiment. I mean, the worst that could happen is that the scones aren't delicious. Or edible. Or you could burn the house down... 

NOTE: The reason I have to halve my portions when I use the food processor is because my food processor is much too small. If yours is large enough, you DO NOT have to halve your portions and do each half separately. Just add the complete measure of the ingredients in each step.
NOTE: You can also do this manually. Yep. Whisk the dry ingredients, cut in the butter through a painful and arduous process, and then mix in the heavy whipping cream mix. Basically, just do everything without a food processor. (It sucks. I've tried.)

After trying both, I much prefer the recipe from SSR; however, the process by LWBO and my own trial and error needed to be made into a separate recipe. The only ingredient I modified was increasing the vanilla from ¼ teaspoon to ½ teaspoon; SSR called for ¼ and LWBO called for 1 teaspoon, which is a big difference. Because I like vanilla, I decided to meet in the middle at a ½ teaspoon.

Prep Time    20 min 
Cook Time    15 min
Chill Time    5-10 min
Total Time    40-45 min
Servings    8 scones

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ½ cup (half stick) very cold unsalted butter, cubed (keep frozen until ready to use)
  • ½ cup heavy whipping cream
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • OPTIONAL: ½  cup of your favorite add-ins (Ideas: Blueberries, Blackberries, Dried or Fresh Cranberries, Pecan Halves, Raisins, Chopped Walnuts, Chopped/Slivered Almonds, Shredded Coconut)
  • OPTIONAL: Additional heavy cream for brushing over scones 
  • OPTIONAL: Additional coarse (turbinado) sugar for sprinkling over scones 
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190.556°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Combine half the amounts of the following ingredients in the basin of a food processor and pulse to combine: flour (1 cup), sugar (⅛ cup), baking powder (1 tsp), and salt (⅛ tsp).
  3. Add half of the cold cubed butter (¼ cup) to the flour mixture. Pulse until just combined
  4. In a separate mixing bowl or the measuring cup itself, combine half of the heavy cream (¼ cup) and vanilla (¼ tsp). Pour into the food processor.
  5. Pulse until dough begins to clump together. It will be very crumbly, but do not add any more liquid! Transfer the dough to a large, lightly floured cutting board.
  6. Next, add the second half of the flour and heavy cream mixture to the processor. Pulse until dough begins to clump together. Add this dough to the other half. Add any add-ins (fruit, nuts, chocolate, etc.)  at this point, gently working them into the dough.
  7. Here comes the hard part. Work the dough into a clump, taking care not to overwork it. It will be crumbly; it won’t be easy to get it all to adhere. Fold the dough in half over itself and gently flatten layers together. Rotate the dough 90 degrees and continue folding in half a few times. Form the dough into a smooth circle about 1 inch thick by 6-7 inches round.
  8. Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. Press the knife straight down with each cut. You may need to rinse/wipe the knife after a couple of cuts. Place the cutting board in the freezer for 5-10 minutes or until scones are chilled. (This is a great time to revert the kitchen into its pre-disaster state. Also known as cleaning up.)
  9. Remove the scones from the freezer and transfer to the baking sheet. Place them 1-2 inches apart. OPTIONAL: Pour a tiny bit (1-3 tsps) of heavy cream in a small container. With a basting/pastry brush, brush the scones lightly with heavy cream. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar. 
  10. Bake at 375°F for 14-16 minutes or until edges are beginning to turn golden brown. The tops can be golden brown also; however, DO NOT overbake the scones, or they will be dry and tough. If you think they're slightly underdone, you can turn off the oven and allow them to sit for a little while. They will also continue to bake after their removal from the oven. Remove from the oven and allow scones to cool completely on the baking sheet.

Tips & Notes
Store the scones in an airtight container at room temp. or the fridge for 3-4 days. These are best eaten within a day or two!
You can freeze the scones in an airtight container or Ziploc for up to 3 months; microwave to defrost. Time will vary.
Variations: Lemon, Lime, or Orange Zest, Cinnamon (1-2 tsps of these)
Enjoy! They should be moist yet crumbly, with little pockets of buttery goodness. The secret is the frozen butter. Butter is the best.
(Gosh, I hope I gave the right instructions.)
Disclaimer: If your house burns down or your kitchen explodes with flour, I am not liable.

re: i know i get that a lot-- the "queer ache" thing. why does life insist on having the pain with beauty and things like that? i guess it just highlights how complex we humans are. without it life would be bland, 2 dimensional. and thank you erin for what you said and how i add to the wtw community! that means a lot coming from you... i think of you as one of the legends on here... actually there are so many legends, but you are always there to talk to me and you were one of the first to welcome me. i am so thankful we crossed paths on here. i can only hope our lives will someday cross in real life, too! anyway. thanks so much erin, for everything. have a great weekend!
    p.s. pointing out that you have 100+ followers and i am so proud of you!
    <3<3<3

oohh haha LOVE ladellis! you'll have to wait and see ;)

• nopenopenope

Re: I have my own plan for Lucia's arc..and it isn't good. Let's just say our little Lu turns a little bit..evil

• happygiggles

Mmmmm scones, I'm gonna make these for my grandparents! ((:

Serious question though- is is (sc-o-nes) or (sc-aw-nes) ??

• nopenopenope

re: i'm lowkey starting to ship ana and tuta

re re: congrats on hitting 100+ followers

• nopenopenope

RE: yeah, this is probably the last iteration they're gonna go through.

Re: Agreed. One does not have to enjoy the taste of scones to acknowledge their incredible mental fortitude.

• Just_A_Memory

Re: Oh, my, gosh! All of it sounds amazing! Lemon cupcakes, lemon frosting, lemon donuts... oh my gosh!

Re: Thank you! <3
    While cheesecake is truly a masterpiece of the culinary arts, one must admit that it isn't winning any medals in the memory department.

here is your link to On the High Seas - Chapter 4!!

thank you so much for your support <3 you are always so encouraging

So I saw that you were confused about how one could have the attention span of a cheesecake. It's really quite simple. All one has to do is be born the inferior twin (or triplet or quadruplet [etc]). We are twins and he is the inferior one, so he got the cheesecake attention span.

Note: To understand the above comment more thoroughly, one may replace the word "inferior" with "younger" or "last-born".

• doodleninja

re: ahhhh so glad you enjoyed the episode! while I was writing it, I was like "wow, prinker literally started because thinker acted out a one-man skit in Prose's office", and I laughed to myself XD

• doodleninja

Heeeeeey! There is now a *bonus* episode of Stereo Tropes Co. out, so grab your pineapple juice, and take a read! :)

• Just_A_Memory

LEMON EVERYTHING IS HONESTLY THE BESTTTTTTT. I might have to post a recipe too :D I've never really had scones before, but it seems like I'll have to try this out

Beep beep! Did someone order an uber? Where to? Chapter five you say?

OOOH! I am def trying these!!

Chapter 23 (I can't believe I am still going haha) of Traitors and Rebels is out!!!

• Huba Huba

This receipt looks so fun.. I might try it if I have all the ingredients (shopping isn't the safest thing to do nowadays, and my family and I try to limit it as much as possible)
    Re: I'm sorry for the... one week late reply! I've been very busy lately and I haven't had much time for WtW... so... time to write a hugemongeouuusss comment!!!
    The science competition, it was a Science Olympiad one, as I'm on my school's Junior Varsity team for it. Though I'm in two main science clubs, so I'm not sure which one I was talking about, since both competitions happened like last week ish. Science Olympiad is where everyone on the team has a partner for a couple events, and we all compete in them and get placements, then the placements add up, and the numbers are used to determine the overall team placements. We didn't do super well this time, but our varsity team did. For science bowl, it's basically like one of those trivia shows, but with science, and sadly, no money. I do have to consider myself a nerd. How did that one go? To sum it up, my team carried me.
    And I love your name change! I'm seeing the holiday vibes.
    Avocadoes seem to go with anything in my opinion, from salads to sandwiches, to pizza's and soups (idk about the last two, but it goes with ANYTHING!)
    I've used sparknotes, but never checked out the blog as in for fun, I've used it for essays on books that I didn't deeply read into because I didn't find them extremely interesting. I'm sorry to all my language arts teachers out there, but I don't know if I've ever read an excruciatingly interesting book in the class. For example, for our summer reading this year, we had to read Boy's Life! The book was.. meaningful I suppose, and good for theme essays, but it really... was... bland.
    I totally agree with your thoughts on Romeo and Juliet! The relationship escalated too fast, and then it turned into dying for each other. I'm sitting here like, HOW ABOUT GIVING THE SITUATION A LITTLE MORE THOUGHT BEFORE THROWING YOUR LIFE AWAY!? Perhaps it's Shakespeare's way of expressing how people would go to extremeities for love. Still, I cannot understand, being a single person :")
    I lowkey spent minutes laughing at your comment about Mr. Darcy's... manhood. Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice are my top 2.. classy adult books. I suggest checking out Jane Eyre if you haven't.
    Also I'm not sure if you learn similar things in your language arts class, but we have many things about literary devices, as in symbolism, metaphors, etc. And I think the class is taking a toll on me. The day when I rewatched Up, I started crying when Carl pushed all of his belongings out of his house to make it fly. Like in that one moment.. there was such strong symbolism here, how it showed how Carl let go of the past and was ready to move on, and this "lightened" his heart to let him fly. I'm glad you're a fellow hopeless romantic.
    I also have an odd interest in socks. They're hand glovees!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: awww, right back at you!! :)

Oh wow your prompt for the december grab bag is very..interesting. I think i'm gonna try it XD

• doodleninja

re: ya know, I've never thought about fan-casting! idk, I have clear images of what Thinker, Prose, Print, and Critique all look like in my mind, so it's really hard to think of real-world lookalikes XD

• its.joyanna

re: also i like the pfp

• its.joyanna

re: most definitly gonna make these as soon as schools over. in fact, probably not gonna wait until schools over...
    also on a lighter? note... it's great to meet you as well erin !!
    p.s. love the account name and the #holidayvibes, omg i'm totally gonna do that once i think of something creative

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: YESSS WE SHOULD! That would be so funn! And okay, cool! Hope you get snow, Mellon! :) :)

• Mpm#1

Definitely going to make these! Thank you! :)

• doodleninja

re: ahahaha yes! That would be so cool if one day I could pitch this idea to a network company XD (and I'll dedicate it to all you OG Tropies ;))

• A. Penderwick

Oh, this looks awesome! I need to try this. I like to bake, but I haven’t done scones. I did one time make savory scones with bacon, cheese and chives. It’s was delicious.
    Also, I was reading your message to readers and found this line “ I overwrite, overtalk, ramble, & overthink. ” and I love it. That honestly describes me perfectly! :)

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: awwwwwwwww!!! Your comment made me smile!! Thank you sooo much!!!! I’m so happy you liked it! And thank you, I could feel the hugs! You are so encouraging and sweet! So thank you!
    And yummmmmmm yessssssssssss!!!!!! Let’s do it, let go! But I want to take my family and friends, and then let’s go! ;) And the dessert sounds amazing! (It’s fine that you say that about the dessert). And Mellon means “friend” in the Lord of the Rings (it’s Elvish). And thank you sooo much again for the incredible comments! Yes, snow! I hope you get some!! <3

re: ahh.... your comment made me feel like i was there! the mountains and deserts... everything seems so beautiful in my mind, but i know it's even more beautiful in real life :) i've never really been in that area--i've only been to other states a few times, and never out of the country. i wish i could say i've traveled more, but i haven't. one of my dreams is to someday see the world, see all the things that are different from what i'm used to. and write about them. that sounds like paradise!
    lol sorry for the rant! your comments and descriptions have been super helpful, i'll definitely keep it in mind :) <33

• ava09 (sorta back)

replying: hahaha literally though she's a QUEEN and her songs and writing is incrediblee!!! and now all those songs are simultaneously stuck in my head (had so much fun singing it in my head and challenging myself to get the title LOL) but her old albums are m a s t e r f u l and her new ones are m a s t e r f u l and i just love her and her songs and omg we're just fangirling now aren't we oh well hahaha. every time you hear one of her songs though and actually listen to the lyrics it's just like BAM beauty.

• ava09 (sorta back)

replying: thank youuuu <3333 folklore for life indeed. i have disney+ but i may have not seen the long pond studio sessions yet....don't hate me XD. it's mainly because i wanna watch it with my sister and we just haven't made time i need to do that ASAP though ahh. aw that sucks :( would screenrecord and send it to you if i coulddd <3 just live off the youtube clips! that really sucks though i'm sorry. :( and i did!!!!! aw that's so cuteee - when i saw i got so excited haha i was like omg YESSS literal king that man. and they're so cute together i love it.

• Rose A

YUM! This sounds delicious and I will definitely try to convince my mom to let me make scones. But first, I have to mention something.
    "I mean, the worst that could happen is that the scones aren't delicious. Or edible. Or you could burn the house down... " Very humorous but also relatable for me when I almost burned my house down. RIP my cooking skills. Maybe I should post a recipe sometime...

hi erin! oh my, yum i really have to make thissss! i have never made scones before which is weird because i love scones so i will totally try this out sometime! and thanks for the disclaimers XD
    re: awww thank u so so so much erin! ur words always make me smile and make me feel better. thank u. and btw, i absolutely love ur new username so much! <3<3<3

• Busssy.Beee

my delivery service: hello! today, im delivering the link for chapter 4! :)
    have fun reading!!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: thank you so much! :) And yes, I’d love to hang with them too (and you; we could form a little group). :D

ahhhh i love this!!! I'm so gonna try it! We have a scone recipe that's pretty good too, but just because i love your writing and you're a great friend, i'm gonna make these next time ;) the disclaimer had me CRACKING UP lol!
    re: haha, thanks for the descriptions of Arizona!! I'll fact-check with a few people (just to make sure it's not utah XD) and i will DEFINITELY be using that! :D thank you so so so much!

Re: Thank you <3

• erin!

replying: hi other erin! the characters in my bio are chinese (mandarin and cantonese use the same written language, they just sound different when spoken) and it's my name :) it roughly translate to peace and cleverness haha

• ava09 (sorta back)

replying: cannot wait to try :)))
    yeah true, i think i saw some people unfollow others though so *shrugs* i definitely agree with you, though, and i feel the same!!!!
    okay i willll XD that's so cool! hugs back from the midwesttt! <333

• ava09 (sorta back)

HAHA THE LIABILITY NOTE LMAOOO - i really REALLY want to try these sooo bookmarking! XD they look super yummyyyyy.
    replying: aw thank youuu. <3 it'd be wrong to unfollow you too haha - and if i did i'd miss out on great writing and yummy recipes soooo yeah def not unfollowing XD. also, you're welcomeee going to add to my username as soon as i think of something creative enough haha. sending hugsss. <33