SunV

est. 11/10/19

history has its eyes on you.

lavender's green (dilly dilly) lavender's blue,
if you love me (dilly dilly) i will love you.

Daddy, can you help me touch the stars?

29

"Daddy? Can you help me touch the stars?"

"One day sweetheart, one day you'll be big and strong, and then you can touch the stars"

------

"The stars are very far away. You need to work to touch them sweetheart"

"And after I work? Then, can I touch the stars?"

"Yes honey. Then you can touch the stars"

------

"You can't touch the stars. They are too far. You will never be able to touch the stars."

"Why not? You said, you said that if I work, I can touch the stars. Why can't I touch the stars?"

"The stars don't want to be touched. That's why."

-------

"Why do you want to touch the stars honey?"

"Because they're so breathtaking! But they're so far away!"

"It is okay if some things are out of reach. If you could hold all the stars in the palm of your hand, would they be half as breathtaking?"

"Daddy?"

"Yes?"

"I don't want to touch the stars. I want to watch them."

"...."

"Daddy? Will you sit and watch the stars with me?"
A little backstory to this piece:

After some reflection, I noticed that in my pre-teen period (11-13) I grew distant from my dad. I'm not going to get into specifics, because I really don't want to share my personal life, but that's the vague idea. Over the lockdown, I was able to reconnect with him, which is what this piece is about.

All credit for the quote "It is okay if some things are out of reach. If you could hold all the stars in the palm of your hand, would they be half as breathtaking?" goes to Caroline Kaufman. I simply edited the end from a statement to a question.

Inspired by many pieces, including dad, can u hold me like u did when i was little? i need that right now. by Dmoral, daddy, i'm not your little girl anymore. by Wisp, please dad, I need you on this continent by Sci-Fi and please dad, i need you to be my dad. by CrazyNinjaKid.

• beth r.

oh this is beautiful and heart wrenching and relatable. glad you could reconnect with your dad :)
    re: ya i wrote a footnote but there was a publishing problem lol.

• serein

Re: sorry I was sleeping!
    it's so cool that you want to teach college! (I'm not brave enough for that)

• lochnessie

re: thank you and ty for the heads up!

• A. Penderwick

This is beautiful. I love how the metaphor stays the same, but what the dad is saying changes.
    Re: Haha, good to know I'm not alone! ;) And yes, you can absolutely do your own piece! If you do, I'd love to read it!

re: ooooh i definitely see that! :D so glad you liked my piece <333

• amazing grace

You can definitely do a piece for the book description, just let me know when it's up.

• Just_A_Memory

This is so heartbreakingly beautiful <3 3

• pyrrhic

i know what that's like. i'm glad you were able to reconnect with him <33

• ChimChim_1

I...have no words right now except for GOOOD JOOB!!:3

replying: oooh cool thanks

• Sanjana Sunilkumar

Truly amazing!

re: i discovered saturn (haha, i literally just listened to it) a few weeks ago due to mirkat's piece. i don't remember what it was. and then one of paisley blue's pieces was inspired by sun. but only a couple days ago i downloaded most of their music. i haven't listened to it all yet, but the space album as a whole is my fave so far. heirloom and son also. and the emotions album. and i think the enneagram will stick with me more as i isten. but sun, mercury, venus, earth, mars, saturn... AHHHH

• sci-Fi

This peace is so simplistic and yet so breathtaking. Just the way that you framed it, how each time you ask the same thing and each time the answer gets a little more negative, it really portrays what you were trying to say.

• Wisp

Ahh the repetition and emotion is so vivid. The idea of growth through a single question, I just love it so much. You create this world and refine this emotion in such a beautiful way. And I love how the answers to the question changes, and it shows the growth and change between the daughter and father in such a subtle but profound kind of way. I love the way you took this and it was so beautiful to read. And the backstory in the end!!! That made me tear up a little, and I suppose that's one of the good things about the lockdown.

• Busssy.Beee

i can't speak... im speechless.... this is just too pure, too heartfelt....

this is so heartbreaking, yet so hopeful. the way the tone seem to "grow up" as the piece continues is beautiful. really well written <333

also...
    part 5 in my heartbreak series is out!!!

it's getting close to the end :(

• bookmagic

This is beautiful. I also got closer to my dad during quarantine. He taught me how to play guitar. I found my self putting this into a movie scene in my head.

• wavewriter

Beautiful.

wow. this is... breathtaking.
    re: oh, got it. well, i'd def rather be too warm than too cold! and i think it's neat that you try to celebrate with everyone on here. i did see your piece on thanking people; it was so sweet and cheerful! :)

• doodleninja

I'm absolutely loving this lil series going around! and this piece certainly tugged at my heartstrings! love the formatting of different conversations and the ending line is so sweet. <3

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

Re: oh, okay! Thanks! It’s 9:51 AM here! Good night! <3

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

Lovely piece too! So glad you have reconnected with him! :)

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

Re: aww! Thank you! What time is it there?

• anonymous_123 [Child of God]

Re: wow that was quicker then I thought!

• anonymous_123 [Child of God]

I loved your footnotes I also love how you credit everyone and motivate people to read other people’s writings. I would love to do that too. I also want to say thank you. Because this is going to touch and inspire many people. I also hear that your a great influencer and writer could you review my story A Game of Two Truths and a Lie? Thank you :)

• LittleBody_BigHeart<3

Cute! <3

• serein

This is so sweet!! Your writing is simple but brings so much meaning! I'm so happy you've been able to reconnect with your dad!

• Alexander :)

This is so beautiful. It's great you were able to reconnect with your dad- I hope it stays that way for the two of you!
    Love this piece x

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

Amazing piece! Your writing is amazing!!! :) I am so happy you connected with your dad during lockdown!