anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

update as of 12.10.20: republishing for circulation. it's not too late to join! lmk in the comments if you do decide. i'm making a list. (but not checking it twice, probably.)
see footnotes! love y'all!

#holidayvibes (NEW USERNAME CHALLENGE; FOOTNOTES!)

18

holidays
are they marked by...

the decor that arrives on shelves too early?
obnoxious and classic songs and tacky lawn ornaments?
the overwhelming mass of corporate spending that floods the minds of the next generation?
family gatherings fraught with tension?
glittering boxes and bags that scream materialism?
family feuds that won't stay buried?
worn-out adults with baggage unseen who can't bear to face another holiday season?
threadbare sweaters and icy floors without a hint of cheer?
lonely apartments with layers of dust on the table as carols ring out below?
frustration because it seems that everyone but you celebrates Christmas?

no.
yes.
no.
yes.
but are those the only things?

holidays
are they marked by... 

a sigh of relief for the New Year?
aromas filled with memories—cinnamon and fir, musty mothballs and vanilla, pine scotch and peppermint?
scents with no name, no definition other than warmth and coziness?
home-cooked food?
store-bought delicacies and dishes that taste as good as home-cooked when eaten with others?
laughter that never ends?
artfully arranged dining tables and holiday-themed wall decor?
messy kitchens and unkempt living rooms?
tiny hands and tiny feet thudding through the halls or driveways of gravel?
eggnog and hot cocoa and cider and coffee and tea or something stronger? 
bare trees that shine silver in the moonlight as the last leaf drifts away?
hoary frost that paints each blade of grass?
endless shoveling of snow?
salt spray and beach parties as you await midnight on December 31st?
bonfire glittering against sand crystals while "Stille Nacht" and crashing waves play in the background? 
cut-off shorts and pool parties as you sweat, waiting for Christmas Day?
tears of joy and tears of sorrow for togetherness and separation?
warmth unexplainable, contentedness undeniable, belonging unforgettable, peace unbreakable?
Update as of 11.28.20 @ 11:51 PT: I decided on a new username! Now I'm "ambedo & sugar cookies (#holidayvibes)"
Hey people! It's time for a new username challenge! It's called #holidayvibes. (Thanks to Rohan's Defender for helping me decide.) It can be anything you associate with the holidays—hopefully, something good. Something that takes you back—or a tradition newly established. 
You definitely don't have to change your username; it can go in your bio or message board with a #holidayvibes. (I decided to actually format it like a regular hashtag this time, without any spaces in between like I did for #dreams of autumn. Idk why.) Tip: if you do change your real username, you might want to drop a note in your bio/message board with your old username, so people don't get confused.
I know it's not winter everywhere for writers, so I decided to go with #holidayvibes. And everyone celebrates some holiday, I'd wager—even if it's just New Year's. 
I don't know what I'll do after early-mid-January, because the next relevant one would be spring (for those of us in the northern hemisphere). So I might go back to my original, which very few of you probably remember.
If I see enough participation, I'll do a piece similar to this one with shoutouts and gratitude. If you'd like to participate and be mentioned, it would help to drop a comment below so I know!
(I didn't get an abundance of people for #dreams of autumn that I know of, so I didn't do any shoutouts for that one.)

"Cause we made it through, I do believe, the longest year in history." 
Ben Rector. "The Thanksgiving Song." A Ben Rector Christmas, OK KID RECORDINGS, 2020.

Ohhh hold up, did you start this? I changed mine to Winter4Life, even tho it's Summer for me :P

Beach parties on the holidays...I wish. Not up here in 30 degree weather. But it's still lovely to read about! The description in this poem is great!

• løne wølf [semi-hiatus]

im probably late, but- imma participate!! just gotta decide what username to choose XDD

Chapter 5 for On The High Seas!!

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

Hey :) I need to link my old username in my bio. I forgot. Sorry. I was previously BlueWolf.

• Livsnjutare

I am definitely doing this!! I just have to decide what to do...

• Busssy.Beee

re: im sorry for the cliffhanger :( but don't worry you'll get answers in part 6!! love you sooooo much!! <33333

• Busssy.Beee

yeahhhh, i finally decided!! this was such a great idea!!!

• Just_A_Memory

IM PARTICIPATING!
    Oop. Sorry for yelling

• doodleninja

re (to both comments): thank you so much for all of your support! Yeah, I've always imagined it as a tv show too, Anne even suggested calling the parts "episodes", which I love XD

So: Reading your message to readers. SLEEPING AT LAST! When did you discover them? And what's your favourite song so far! There are so many, I can't choose mine XD. It'd probably be Uneven Odds, Mars, Saturn, Earth, West, Two, Four and Heirloom. And so many more that I can't seem to remember XD

• wil

Re: well...as I told Emi, boys aren't nasty and mean until they abruptly become nasty and mean. In my experience there's not snide hints or murmurs of gossip. You just get a lot of aggressiveness that will suddenly come out (in shoves during sports or else shouting matches). And usually I'd have to be really provoked to just go do something like shove another guy (I haven't actually ever done that cept to my brother, but I'm also homeschooled and very cool-headed so I'm probably the exception). In general though we end up forgetting about it later and acting like nothing happened.

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: yeah, I understand that. I like Sophie. I think she and I might just hang out. :)

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: yes, I agree. I might be friends with the Vackers (I also think Alden is amazing!). But Dex is definitely more relatable. :)

• Jason_claire :)

replying- haha yes, sleep is pretty great :)

re: that is so weird! I republished...try this one

re: hmm that's weird. try this link.
    https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/free_writing/171995/versions/405499
    if that doesn't work lmk

• Jason_claire :)

Why, what a nice idea. Also, love Ben Rector :)
    replying-well, hey thank you

• Rohan’s Defender

Let me correct myself: I would want to get closer to them; not that I dislike Keefe! :)

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: yessss! You’re right, he is, even though he is kinda a bad boy. But I like the sweet boys better! ;)

oh im totally doing this XD except i have no ideas....i gotta start thinking lol

part 5 in my heartbreak series is out!!!

it's getting close to the end :(

Re- Thank you so much! I tried to think of something better but that's all i came up with haha
    OoOOo thank you! :D

replying: i totally understand wanting to buy the books anyway. and yes rick is just lovely haha. frank and leo are so funny ,such good characters!!!

replying: lol no i get it, i definetly agree, percabeth is so cute but kind of annoying because now my love life expactations are wayy too high haha. cant wait to get to know you more,i have never come across your profile!

• mindfruit

~KOTLC SPOILER ALERT WEEOO WEEOO~
    Re: Oh yes, Keefe is too complex. It's like each book Shannon is making him slightly less Keefe-like...how'd he go from the most laid-back character to the most unstable one? Still a great character tho. I agree, Fitz is just....eugh. Legacy really ruined him for me. dex has always been my favorite :) This username challenge DOES seem more popular, thanks for setting these types of things up (glad you like my username heh). Yeah, I really hope the bookstore can make it through....did the B&N edition have anything special?good point about Cassius, I swear I can't keep track of anything Keeper anymore, the series is getting VERY complicated. I originally didn't like the idea of Unlocked being a guidebook, but now I find myself happy that Shannon summarized all of the info from the books.

• psithurism

re: Oh lol. I wouldn't know :)

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: thank you so much!! Yesss, I LOVE THE SERIES SO FAR! Dex is great!! My favorite so far is Fitz (and Sophie), and then Dex. And then I like Keefe too, but he’s a little but too rule-breaker-y for me. Just cause I’m a strict rule follower (usually). But I LOVE Grady and Edaline and Alden!!!! <3

• Rohan’s Defender

XD you’re dating Dex?! That’s great! I juts finished the first book and I can’t wait to get the second one!!

• psithurism

I got confused at the cut-off shorts part. I live in Minnesota so shorts are an absolute no-no in the holiday season! I guess I forgot not every state gets snow in the winter XD lol

• wil

Re: ha ha, that's so funny. The secret side of girls guys never know or understand.

• Rohan’s Defender

I’m gonna do mine now! Thanks so much for the shoutout!! Love this idea!

• Rohan’s Defender

• mindfruit

also you're dating dex? interesting....glad he's getting the love he deserves :)

Re: So, 21º isn't really that cold when you compare it to USA, but we're used 30º-40º C here, so it is quite cold. I hope you're safe from the travels!

I don't celebrate thanksgiving, but I try to celebrate all festivals in some or the other way, so I make it my mission to thank everyone in my life on that day. I don't know if you've seen the piece, but I wrote one here called 'Hey! You! Yes, you! Thank you.' to thank everyone on this site.

I'm so sorry I didn't take part in the autumn one! I racked my brain for hours, but just couldn't come up with any words. However, I just updated my bio! I've done this, and I've names myself (for now) sweaters and slippers. Why? Well, it's unnaturally cold this year, like 21º C (69.8º F), and that might be normal for some people, but we're used to really hot climate, even in the winters. Hence, I haven't removed my sweater in over 72 hours, exception of sleeping and taking a bath. And once again, according to tradition, we don't wear shoes at home in India, yet, when it's really cold, we have house slippers, or we wear socks. I haven't removed my slippers in over 72 hours too, with the same exceptions and if I go outside.

I might change it when I come up with some more creative titles XD

Glad to take part!

• wil

This is so pretty. Makes me nostaligc for Christmas. I will definitely have a different username in my bio!
    Re: Hmm, you say the same thing Emi says about girls sometimes secretly being vicious. I guess it's kinda funny cause they don't seem to be that way around us boys. Least not in my experience (I'm not really friends with any girls but Emi so I wouldn't know).

Re: Thanks!