Stone of Jade

~ 17 she/her ~
Aspiring writer and artist. Completely awestruck by night skies. Apart of many, many fandoms ;) Reader, journaler, collector.
~ pilot pens and beat-up notebooks ~
one half of the locket
discord LexLuthor#8769

A bit of a shorter chapter this time because it was originally part of chapter 2.

If you would like to be updated when I publish this series LMK in the comments.
If I have updated you and you don't want to be updated--sorry my bad. Just let me know and I'll take you off the list (no offense taken)

TL;DR
The format for this story focuses on telling the tale through flashbacks. If it gets confusing please let me know so I can revise the story so it is more clear.

On the High Seas | 3

13
From rooftop to rooftop, Tallis carefully made his way to the mansion. A lattice of honeysuckles gave him unintentional access to the highest roof of Colborne Chateau. Tallis’ employer, Thornley, gave him detailed instructions where Captain Colborne kept his treasure--in a safe in one of the highest rooms in the mansion. Unfortunately for Colborne, Tallis was a skilled lockpick. He took out his knife, and began prying at the tiles of the roof. 
    Shortly after midnight, Tallis broke through and had a wide enough hole to slip inside the mansion. From his belt, Tallis took a length of rope, and wrapped it securely around a chimney a few yards away. 
One last job, Tallis thought as he propelled himself through the hole. With a soft thud, he landed inside the room. In front of him stood the large, beautifully carved, wooden safe. Tallis walked around it slowly, contemplating the make and model of the chest. He knelt before the door, studying the lock itself. His fingers itched to start picking the lock. Without a doubt, it was the most complicated lock he had seen. Slowly, he began to pick the safe, unaware of the minutes slipping by.

With a loud click and pop, the safe door creaked open. Tallis gasped as he saw what was inside. The Coral Globe was the only possession Captain Colborne kept in the safe, and for good reason. The globe shone milky white, a gold encrusted design wrapped around the treasure. Tallis reached forward and plucked the treasure from the safe. Wrapping it in several layers of cloth, he stuffed the item in his bag. He began to shimmy up the rope and back onto the roof.
    Tallis squeezed himself through his hole. He sat on the roof, startled by how much time had passed. The first light of day was quickly approaching. Tallis stood, suddenly anxious to get to the docks. He slid down the side of the roof, and leaped onto the neighboring house. This time, however, his actions didn’t go unnoticed. He had snuck in under the darkness of night, now, the rays of dawn lifted the veil. Immediately, he was spotted by one of Colborne’s henchmen. Tallis heard the man alarm the others. He ran over the rooftops, leaping from one house to the next. His foot slipped on one of the tiles and he slid several feet, catching himself only by a broken chimney. Tallis pulled himself to his feet and looked back. To his horror, the henchman was using the same method of escape. He too, was running over the rooftops. Tallis recognized him as Stanford, Colborne’s right-hand man. Tallis started running again, swaying as he balanced delicately. He saw two other henchmen, farther back, chasing him from the street below. Tallis could see the docks a couple houses in front of him.
    Tallis slid down the roof of a bakery, breaking his landing on several sacks of flour that lay against the wall of the shop. The burliest henchmen landed on the street behind Tallis. Tallis knew his game was up. He could see Ladell on her ship, climbing the ropes on the mast. He knew she saw his trouble. He felt bad, bringing more problems to her, not even a full day after their reunion. He turned to face his pursuers. 
    “Give it up, Swindler! You’re not getting away this time!” Stanford yelled. 
    Tallis heard a sharp whistle from behind. With that small signal, he knew Ladell had his back.
    Tallis knew what he had to do, although it pained him to do it. The other henchmen caught up with them--Davian and Rhett, two other irritating goons that worked for Colborne. Tallis reached into his satchel and took out the Coral Globe. Its glossy white coating shone in the morning sun. Tallis fought against his desire to keep the treasure, but he knew Ladell was right: he didn’t want Colborne as an enemy. Tallis threw the globe at Stanford, who dove to catch it. During the scramble to recover their captain’s property, Tallis took off running. He ran towards the end of the dock, and leaped with all his might. His boots skimmed the salty waves ever so slightly as he caught the rope Ladell had thrown towards him. By the time Stanford and the others made it to the end of the pier, Tallis had already been pulled aboard.  
    “Come on,” Stanford said to Davian, who stood out of breath next to him. “Let’s go tell the captain that Swindler is with Golden Eye and her crew,” he grimaced.
    “I’m sure he’ll like that,” Davian laughed. “Kill two birds with one stone.”

• In Which Yaya Writes

Oh no! Now he has BOTH of them as enemies!!

• Starlitskies

I loved this!!! It was packed with action and although Tallis had to give up the Coral Globe, I loved how Ladell helped Tallis. Those two lines, " Tallis heard a sharp whistle from behind. With that small signal, he knew Ladell had his back." I think this reveals so much about them and omg, I keep saying this, but their relationship is so sweet! Chapter four, here I come! <3

• Rose A(hiatus)

Finally got to finish it! I'm glad I did, it was awesome! Can't wait to read chapter 4!

• V-Rose

Oh no! I was sure he was going to get caught! I'm so happy he didn't but I really want to know what happens next! I think he may have made an enemy of Colborne anyway.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is sooo awesome! I love the action-packed ending, it gives me a pirates of the Caribbean vibe an I LOVE IT!

• books4life

also chapter ten is out! :)

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: aww! Thank you so much! That means a lot to me! I’m so glad you liked it!! :) I hope you’re doing well today!

• chasing sunsets

Re: aww thanks! That means so much to me <333

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: YESSS!! Oh my, Okay, it gets SO MUCH BETTER (which is hardly even believable!!) I want to talk about it when you finish it!!!!!!! :D

• wil

Wow, great cliff hanger! I love the supsense!

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

Now I'm wondering what is going to happen! My head is swirling with multiple possibilities. But I know that the one you'll write will be better than I can try to imagine. Well, keep on writing!

• AliMuscles04

EEEEEEKKKKK I LOVE THIS!!!!

• chasing sunsets

I had no idea you were finishing this!! BRAVO! And please update me when you write more ;)
    Also, Chapter 11 of A World of Our Own is now out!

• books4life

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH THIS IS AMAZING! SUPERB! WONDERFUL! HAIR-RAISING!! i cannot wait for more :)

• Rohan’s Defender

HEY, WAIT YOU ARE READING THE COUNT?????!!!!! IT IS SO AMAZING, ISN’T IT?!?

Ooooooh love this!!!! I can't wait for more!!! :))

• In Which Yaya Writes

Replying: Yeah, that's what I think I'll do.
    Aw, thank you! I'm glad you liked it!
    Wow, that was fast XD. I want to read this right now! But I have stuff to do... I'll be back!

Re: Okay great!

Re: Maybe you could call them his seamen? Or you could give them a cool name that he calls them to add plot depth/world building. Idk much about his character yet but he could call them some sort of animal like sharks or a natural disaster like a tsunami. You could even translate it into a different language like Greek or Latin. Or make up a word that has roots in a dead language in the story.

Re: everyone comes up with their own name, whatever reminds them of "holiday vibes"
    i'll explain more in the poem... it's like queenie did w/halloween. didn't each person come up w/their own, for the most part? you were "tomb of jade" i think. mindfruit was "brainsssfruit" and CoolGirl2020 was "GhoulGirl2020" and so forth. idk what mine will be yet, but like with my #dreams of autumn username challenge, people came up w/their own if they felt like it. rwong is "leaves of saffron and scarlet" (i think, i don't remember exactly); mirkat is "chrysalism and golden dusk"; Rose. A is "Flowers of Fall" and also "peachy keen" i believe... and they all thought of those on their own. so it would be same for the #holiday vibes one. if you feel like participating, change your username in whatever way you please or drop it in your bio/message board and hashtag it with #holiday vibes!

ooooh ack i love it! tallis, you'd better be careful! this is super well-crafted and well-thought out. great plotline!
    re: aw, your feedback means so much! ha, i should hand-letter it in golden ink. it's a bit long, but maybe an a two sided poster... ideas, ideas. like i don't have a folder full of unfinished art projects.
    as for username challenge, it's not really a "challenge," i've just seen it called that. it's what queenie/isa/minty leaf/everythingbagel/timestamp did with halloween, and i made one for #dreams of autumn also. the next one i want to do, partially for me, is #holiday vibes. i'll be writing a poem soon announcing it formally. you can totally put it in your bio/message board, too.

Ooh, the plot thickens!! I really like this, and I can't wait to explore the dynamic between Tallis and Ladell. My only critique is that I feel like "henchman" is a bit cartoonish, but that's just my opinion.