anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

See footnotes!
also, what did you see/feel/hear when you read this? I'd love to know.

dreams that bear the mark of love (FOOTNOTES!)

12

"Because dreams that bear the mark of love / are dreams that never die"

do you have any dreams that bear the mark of love, darling?
dreams are so dang elusive
like a mischievous faerie, or a pixie that beckons for you
just around the bend
but you reach the clearing where it promised to wait
and you are left with only the babbling brook for company
not that you mind, usually—she's quite friendly, saves you the need to reply as she chatters on
but that dream promised.

where did it go?

you call for it to return
so that you may seek to turn it into more than a dream
so that you may go from dreaming to doing
but as you peer around the bend and leave the brook behind
endless hills greet you
and no pixie or faerie in sight.
the dream has escaped once more,
into the recesses of your cavernous and gorgeous mind.

***

days of summer whisper as they pass by
you hear music in hues of gold
flute shimmers like the lavender dusk at sunset
percussion pounds in all its vivid beats
saxophone croons in rich and twisting colors—you're never quite sure what color it may be
acoustic guitar paints in pastels
piano notes sing in shades of gray
from the dramatic charcoal to a sorrowful dove-gray
and as the last note lingers on once-summer air
you hear the little laugh like clinking glass
of your ever-disappearing dream.
but this time, you pause. inhale deeply. smile at the sky and thank the world for its beauty. 
you listen to the laughter like clinking glass
and the music in hues of gold,
and gratitude floods you.

summer seeps into sepia days
and you chase, chase, chase the dream.
this time—oh, this time—
you shall never relent in your pursuit. 
but now, you know to be gentle yet firm; unyielding but compassionate 
and then the day comes when—
when you arrive at that clearing,
and there stands your dream. 
it waits for you to approach, to ask it
"why?"
it smiles and tosses its head, letting the dying sun catch it in fiery hands.
"the mark of love, my dear," it replies. 
"what is 'the mark of love?'" you ask, but your dream merely smiles with a knowing look in its luminous eyes.
suddenly, the dying sun catches you in it fiery hands, and you
have never felt
    this way
        as if light itself
            runs through your veins
                as if the sun itself has bequeathed 
                    viscous gold to your soul.
"is this the mark of love?" you breathe, basking in the purity. 
you watch your dream—it nods—and you start to understand.
"all these days i spent chasing you, you were only waiting for me," you begin. "waiting for me to realize that you did not bear me mark of love. i was selfish. you had to wait for me to bestow upon you the mark of love in order for me to catch you."
"yes. i must thank you for saving me," says your dream. "for making me a dream marked by love."

at last, you have peace.

Update as of 9:00 PT: see the username challenge section

I honestly don't know where this came from. Well, it came from the song "Moving Forward" by Colony House. It's a wonderful song, full of fresh hope, new beginnings, and great lyrics. As seen above.
I also had an idea about music in hues of gold, which reminded me of synesthesia, and I decided to put it all together. I also wanted it to be a positive, pretty poem. (ugh, bad alliteration.)
So, I thought, why not make a dream a real person? 
And I realized... dreams really do need to "bear the mark of love" in order to be successful and fulfilling. As in, not selfish. At least, not completely. 

But the other reason I wanted to write this piece was to announce a new username challenge! I've decided to go with #holiday vibes, because it's more applicable around the world than winter. I'll be changing mine no later than December 1st, and I'll prob keep it until early-mid January.
Love y'all! If you decide to participate, LMK!

• ava09 (sorta back)

i LOVE this!!! literally don't know how i haven't seen it beforeee ahh. it's beautiful. i love the lines "acoustic guitar paints in pastels/piano notes sing in shades of gray" it's gorgeous and reminds me of something taylor swift would write. :) alsooo i added to my username XD there's literally no good holiday words that start with "a" so i went with angels but then i had "the lakes" stuck in my head and sad prose is such a mood especially over winter break soooo then my #holidayvibes username happened XD. hope you like ittt. :) sending hugss <33 (and angels, auroras and sad prose ;) )

• Just_A_Memory

Here's to the publishing of Chapter 3! *Raises glass of apple juice* <3

• Starlitskies

Woah! This is a masterpiece! Your writing is beautiful and the concept is so insightful. I love love love the stanza about music. The metaphors and imagery are incredible.
    Re: Thank you! I've been working on that novel for quite some time now so if and when I do finish writing it, I'll make sure to let your know! <3

Re: lol, baseball caps are a must-have in my town. I always get confused when urban folks talk about beanies or those funny other hats being in (the ones with a slight brim like what TobyMac wears; no clue what they're called)—all the guys here wear baseball caps.
    Scones? Hmmm, maybe I should try that butter trick. I've made them before but never thought of using frozen butter.

"Lavender dawn" is such a lovely description. I love how you describe the changing seasons in this!
    Re: Ha ha, you guys have more land than we do actually. I live in suburbs that are next to a highway but at the same time less than a mile from long stretches of corn and wheat fields. Most of my good friends also either live in the country or are farmers' children.
    That's funny though; I wish I could send you snickerdoodles from across the U.S. (William flatters me though; my cookies are nowhere near as good as he claims).
    I don't even know how much I could fit. I was just very concise and careful with spacing!

• YouAreEnough

Re: Thank you for the comment! :) My old username was CookieCake.

• crystalline•galaxies

re: i’d rather not disclose the country i live in, if that’s okay with you. privacy and all that.
    and yes, isn’t it so strange when once you start writing, you just can’t stop no matter what? it’s just so constant.

re: yay im glad you like it XD im so excited for you to read the rest of it!!
    so like...you would come up with the names? im def interested even if i dont fully understand ;)

alsooo what do you mean username challenge?

/days of summer whisper as they pass by...you hear music in hues of gold...flute shimmers like the lavender dusk at sunset/
    ^^that. is. gorgeous.
    that is poetry written in gold ink! This is so so beautiful and the tone is so perfect and both heartbreaking yet hopeful, sad yet loving. You have no idea how much I love this <333 your writing constantly amazes me!

• ~madeline~

Re: YESS! It was decent, but not nearly as enjoyable as all the other books. Yea, I missed Keefe's jokes soooo much, but like also, missing them made other emotions so much stronger ;( Also, I'm a cruel reader, so I kinda liked all the angst on Keefe's end hehe. Honestly, I think Fitz would prob be my fictional boyfriend... idk tho. Keefe is great, but I think I get enough bad jokes from my bro XD. Dex is great too, but he kinda feels more like a youner brother. IDK.
    Honestly, I have had so many thoughts about Sophie's dad, and none of them seem probable. I just don't know, Gethen feels too predictable, but like no one else seems to fit very well. I REALLY want to know who Glimmer is especially after Unlocked. I think related to Tam is really a possibility, but I don't think she's his mom. I feel like Glimmer is too young for that. IDK. Honestly, I never seem to think about the bad guys as much as I do about the good guys, I'm curious, but there's less to go off of to theorize. I have no idea who any of those could be. What really makes me curious is all of the 'legacies'. What is the Vacker legacy? Keefe's legacy? I mean, the vacker legacy has to be something bad enough to turn someone evil.... I just hope Biana an Fitz can deal with it.
    I also feel like there's going to have to be ten books instead of nine. There is no way she is going to be able to wrap up all the loose ends in one book. And if she does, it's gonna be so rushed it won't be as good. Ofc, that's just my opinion, but like... if she wants to finish next year she's gotta work some magic lol.
    Also last note- I was very disappointed in the Oralie's cache. It felt like a huge letdown from the last book not actually revealing any information.
    Any thoughts on any of this? Thoughts on anything from our shared fandoms lol (I'm part of wayyyyy too many XD)

• crystalline•galaxies

re: wow, your description was so poetic... i loved it.
    i’ve lived in utah for part of my life; i never meant to say that i live there currently.

• rwong

re: I’ll definitely join in on the new username challenge!! It’s super fun :))

Re: Hehe it's okay. I'm just on my emotional time of month XD.

• rwong

omygoshhhh this is so beautifulll arghhhhh <3 <3

• Busssy.Beee

I'll think about the username!! and btw: I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THIS PIECE!!
    Oh, I almost forgot... here's the link to chapter 2 of As Fate Would Have Us (1st link from me!) ;)

• ~madeline~

Re: YAY!! I love to talk bout keepers. XD.
    Yeah... So I didn't really hate the guide. It was a cool idea and it was executed pretty well. HOWEVER, I totally think she should have waited to publish this until she finished the series. Like she could have added stuff about the people we don't fully understand yet ie sophies dad, the other members of the collective.... IDK. I guess I didn't realize Brant's last name was redacted... i mean... in this series unknown parentage always leads me back to Sophie's dad... I wonder if they're half siblings... hmmm. Keefe's commentary was honestly the best. So hilarious. AND yes completely agree. the book was disappointingly small. To be honest, I was a little disappointed by the book in general. It was intended to be a novella, but I really didn't get that out of it. It still felt like the beginning of another book. It was missing the regular climax resolution form that characterizes a book. I agree with your friend, things just kept going downhill.
    I'm a big sucker for emotional scenes, so i was a big fan of the whole Keefe thing cause like... to see someone who is usually such a jokester in that state... *sniff sniff*. I loved that whole part of the book, but I was disappointed in Sophie's parts of the book. Now don't get me wrong, I in no way didn't like the book, I still liked it. I just thought that SM's other books in the series were so much better. IDK. That's all just my opinion. :)

awwww this was so refreshing and beautiful to read! i can't pick a favorite line... ahhhh wonderful!!!
    re: oh my gosh, i haven't replied in such a long time but yes thank you for all of your comments, they make me smile and i am so so so glad you like my work and i think you payed me the highest compliment anyone could pay a writer which is that you fall in love with my writing and like it left an impact on u so thank u beyond belief. and sleeping at last!!! yes well actually sunv first reminded me about them ( i had heard about them before outside of wtw) and then i shared with paisley blue and now all of us are obsessed.... i love love love everything about the songs and it is like poetry and saturn and sun and also sorrow and the new enneagram album with four and five and three are all my favorite ones. how about you? and how was your thanksgiving if u celebrated? <3<3<3

Re: I haven't talked/written about him for like a month before that piece which is good but that piece (and a list of how he is everything I want) exist(s) so that's not good.

Re: Thank you!! Umm C is a guy I know who I've been desperately trying not to fall for but I'm only succeeding halfway. He's in college and probs has a gf so like why am I falling for him NOW? I mean he's basically everything I want in a husband but THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT. I guess this is one of my only crushes since most of the other ones are halfway between crushes and love XD.

Oh my gosh this is so dang pretty!! "you hear music in hues of gold" is unfairly amazing like wow. And I'm glad you thought of synesthesia too. Oooh I also love "suddenly, the dying sun catches you in it fiery hands, and you
    have never felt
    this way"

• crystalline•galaxies

re: aw your comment was so sweet. i appreciate it! i found my pfp online and thought it was cool, but i also noticed the correlation between it and utah. utah is so gorgeous and the delicate arch is one of my favorite places, so it makes me really happy that someone else saw what i saw in it!

• Rachaelgrace

Re: thank you!!! :)

OKAY first of all, this is absolutely stunning. idk how i missed it--but i'm absolutely in love with it now!! :D its so... peaceful and happy and just filled me up with good vibes. :)) I might do the username thing--we'll see if i can come up with anything aesthetically pleasing enough to change it! :))
    re: awww thank you! so glad you and mir liked my piece <3 as for Sleeping at Last, i ADORE their space album... ahhhhh! so good. The first song of theirs that I ever listened to was saturn, and my sister and I are trying to learn how to play it together (we're cello and viola, respectively). I can't pick a favorite, even from just that album. hmmmm, let me try... nope, i love them all. I've actually written a number of pieces with them as inspiration--i'll list them, but don't feel any pressure to read them! just if youre like, bored or something, read them while you listen to that song :))
    "heartbeat", inspired by the song Earth
    "The Infinite Beauty", inspired by the song Sun
    "The Universe and I", inspired by the song Saturn
    "i wanna love you but i don't know how", inspired by the song Neptune
    "stay awake", inspired by the song Earth (i know, i just really love this song ;)) and also kinda Mars
    "i'll forget you when the sun rises", inspired by the song Mercury

Anyways like i said, dont feel obligated to read any of those! :)) sleeping at last is so awesome, i'm always super inspired to write poetry whenever i listen to them lol
    Hope your day is going well! sorry for this long, annoying comment XD

• Rohan’s Defender

Re: I agree with everything you said! XD But I’m glad you’re well too! How was your Thanksgiving?