Paisley Blue

he/they | 6.2.2020
genderfluid | christian

the sound of rain

Hey guys! So.... I think I might be writing a novel now? I'm not really holding myself to anything yet, but I can't stop thinking about this character and her story. I'm gonna write a few short stories about her, and then hopefully I can turn them into a novel! :) I may or may not post it here, tell me what you think.
Happy writing! :)

Pinky Promise

15
    She looked out at the forest, kicking her legs out to swing higher. The swing set creaked ominously, but the slightly rusted bars always held. Her limp, shoulder-length hair rushed back and forth as she swung, and her chubby hands gripped the chain. 

Next to her, a young boy swung harder, trying to get higher than she was. His light brown hair tangled in the wind, but his eyes were full of wild happiness. He let go, soaring from the swing. The girl watched as he landed, stumbled, and got right back up.

“I bet you can't jump farther!” he said, and she laughed. 

Letting go of the chains, she pushed herself from her perch on the swing. For a moment, she was weightless, suspended in midair. Then she hit the ground. She fell, rolling onto her knees, but then bounced up.

“I won!” she shouted to the sky. He wrinkled his nose and pushed her playfully. She returned the shove.

Above them, the sky was a creamy gold as the sun lowered past the trees. The two children settled back onto the swings. The girl began to pump her legs again, rising higher, but the boy just rocked back and forth slowly, looking at the ground.

After a moment, the girl jumped off of her swing and rushed back to him.

“Ferrel, are you deeply sad that I won?” she said with wide eyes. He laughed.

“No, silly! Besides, I won last time.”

“Then why aren't you swinging? I promise it won't break. My daddy tested it.”

He didn't say anything for a moment. Then, creasing his forehead and looking up at her, he said slowly, “Wish, can you swear something?”

She nodded, still kneeling next to his swing.

"Can you swear that we won't grow up? Or at least, not for years an’ years an’ years?” 

Wish smiled. “Of course! Well,” she said confidentially, “one day I want to be a mommy. But not for a super duper duper long time.”

Ferrel smiled. “Good.” 

“Pinky promise?” she suggested. 

He linked his pinkie through hers, and they nodded solemnly, for the deed had been done. Then she got up.

“Come on, let's see who can run faster!”

“You know I'm gonna win,” he said, smiling.

“Maybe I grew and now I’m super fast!”

They raced down the hill leading to Wish's house. Behind them, the swing set watched the sun fade below the trees.

----

The grass was long, reaching nearly to her knees. Wish sweated as she walked up the hill. It wasn't very hot, but she was in a bulky sweatshirt and long, baggy jeans. She swung her arms, trying to get a bit more momentum to walk up the hill. She knew she had changed, but she hadn't realized she wouldn't be able to walk up the old hill without losing her breath.

When she reached the top—finally—she stopped abruptly. There, sitting sadly in front of her, was their swing set.

The grass and weeds tugged at her feet, but finally she made it to the swing. When she sat in it, it creaked. It was low to the ground, and the chair was too small for her, but she rocked gently back and forth, hearing the familiar squeak and groan of the chains. Her hands gripped the chains. 

If she closed her eyes, she could almost imagine Ferrel sitting next to her. 

He would have bright, twinkling eyes, she knew, and his hair would be just a touch too long. He'd be taller than her. Maybe he'd have a stupid little mustache, like all the other guys in high school. He'd be smiling that crooked smile—or maybe it would have been fixed with braces, turned ordinary. She shook her head. Nothing about him was ordinary.

When she opened her eyes, she looked at the sun instead of the chair next to her. It was almost below the trees; it would be dark soon. She didn't care.

“Ferrel…” Whispering his name sent shivers down her spine. It had been so long. “I promised I'd never grow up but here I am. And you're exactly who you were then. I can't dream that away.”

For a moment she sat, breath caught in her throat. She swallowed hard. 

“I'm scared. I don't want to grow up. Maybe if you were here, I could do it, but… going off to college without you? It doesn't feel right. I want to just stay here with you, forever.”

The sun sunk lower, sending shadows scattering across the swing set and the overgrown trees around it. A gust of wind blew the empty swing, and it creaked lowly. Wish inhaled sharply, heart pounding. 

She made herself look over. It was empty. She knew it would be, but it was still hard to see.

“You're lucky that you'll never have to grow up.”

Wish stood slowly, cold air slipping under her sweatshirt and clinging to her skin. Pausing at the hill, she crouched. A handful of fall daisies were growing among the weeds. She picked them, and walked back over to the swing set. 

With shaking hands, she laid them on Ferrel's empty seat. She wiped her eyes as she turned away and walked silently down the hill.
Why does inspiration always hit at strange times?? This came to me in the middle of the night. Not kidding, I woke up at five in the morning and the characters were right there in my mind. 

Hope you liked this :) Lmk if there is anything that you don't understand or you want me to change! And happy thanksgiving, to those of you who celebrate ;)

• November 28, 2020 - 8:23am (Now Viewing)

• wavewriter

WOW. BRILLIANT! I would totally read a novel with these characters! I hope you continue it :)

• ~wildflower~

Re: awww thank you so much!!! <3 <3
    I’ll try to remember to come back and read this piece!

alsoo....Chapter 3 for On the High Seas!!

ohhhh nooooo----this. i don't even know what to say. This has to be one of my favorite pieces you've ever wrote. i want to repeat every comment that is already here bc it explains exactly what i love about this. srsly....you need to submit this somewhere it is so good.

• lochnessie

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    this is maybe one of my favourite pieces of yours. i love everything about it!

• anemoia by a thread

Re: aww thanks so much! it really means a lot. i just loved writing it also. and you can always put it in your bio instead of actually changing your username. i'll be releasing another piece formally announcing it soon. idk what mine's gonna be yet.
    also, i am loving sleeping at last even more! they are super inspiring, like you said.
    i will have to bookmark the piece for your reading recs! oh i just love their work and i know that any work inspired by them will feel like a breath of fresh air.

• anemoia by a thread

oh my gosh my heart it's being torn apart\
    exactly what dear mirkat said. ahhh it hurts. i loved the names too. so much nostalgia and bittersweetness and longing.
    re: i'm not sure which one, because i haven't listened to that many—currently working my way through their space album. (but we have the crappiest wifi that keeps getting slower and slower, so i have to make sure my mom's not online if i want to play music through youtube. i might just download their albums onto my phone...)
    and i def need to reread bird by bird. i remember taking pics of like 10 pages to send my writer gang group chat because there was SO MANY GOOD THINGS. Funny and real and honest, too. there'll prob be 6 dozen sticky notes in it after the next reading (because i cannot highlight/markup books anymore, idk why, even if they're mine. even if you're supposed to write in it.)
    hope you're having a great day too!

ahhh so sad but so amazing and now i am crying and sweet and cute and then the bitter harsh reality of life and i absolutely love it and wowow... how did ferrel die?! on the swing?! somewhere else? but like perfect balance of mystery to like actual story. <3<3<3
    re: XD <3

• ~timestamp~

;)

• pyrrhic

sorry... i hope you got that. my wisest words up to date. this is astounding. seriously. (i'm also going to echo beth r.'s words and tell you to submit it somewhere. as your biggest fan, i IMPLORE you)

• pyrrhic

hCVJKBVSK vjfkajsbf efbkadvjf HAJ

• ~timestamp~

re: I think my account is still up so maybe I got suspended
    but still, it sucks. I’m seriously peeved off.
    I don’t think a + q is really gonna get an ending if it doesn’t follow the guidelines :/

• ~timestamp~

:)))
    I love this bro
    alssssooo my other account got banNed (everythingbagel)
    istg this is the last straw smh

• beth r.

k ella listen. you need to publish this somewhere, submit it into a contest, make it into a short film.
    i'm obsessed

Re: You're welcome :D

• rosewrites

THIS IS SO AMAZING! It has so much meaning, and now I just want to know what happened! How...? I'm with Anne - I need to go and grab my jaw too ;)

Um, I'm highkey obsessed with this. It's so vivid and poignant and I love it. Excuse me while I go pick my jaw up from the floor. (That's not a metaphor; this is quite literally jaw-droppingly amazing)

Re: Wow, thank you!! I'm smiling so widely rn.